Sponsored by:

2001 X Diesel very hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 12:57 AM
montyhall1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 X Diesel very hard to start

All of a sudden my X wont start very well. I need to crank it for 15 seconds or more a few times in order for it to start. The water light is not on. I dont have any smoke comming out while cranking but once it starts it runs like a champ. The glow plug wait light comes on for like 5-8 seconds like it normally does.

any ideas..... HELP!!!!

Monty Hall,

lets make a deal!

Old 11-01-2003, 11:59 AM
montyhall1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more info

This morning it starts just fine. I guess this is an intermittant problem. A couple weeks ago it wouldnt start so i loosened the gas cap and it started, but i dont know if if was directly related to the gas cap... ran fine for a week or two then really hard to start yesterday.......

any ideas

Old 11-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 295 Likes on 153 Posts
How cold or cool was it when you were trying to start your X? You probably just need to use a fuel additive like Power Service's "Diesel Fuel" (white bottle, winter formula) or "Diesel Kleen" (grey bottle, summer formula). Diesel Fuel/Kleen cleans your injectors, lubricates parts of your engine, and boosts the cetane level in your diesel. If its your first time using an additive, run the entire bottle through a full tank. You'll notice easier starts, a quieter engine, better acceleration, and best of all, better fuel mileage. After running on a full bottle, you can use the recommended amount which is half the bottle. Either way it works great. You can find both of these products at wal-mart for about $3-$5. But if you can find some Stanadyne, I suggest using that. I hope this helps.