6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Emission Recall 21E01

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 10:53 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Emission Recall 21E01

Just got this recall in the mail for my 2014 F350, and you can paint me suspicious. For the time I've had my truck, it's had multiple emission's faults pop up. So the premise of this recall saying the on-board diagnostic system may not light the MIL on my dashboard makes me approach this with caution. Especially in light of how much attention the diesel's get versus gasoline vehicles on the emission control side.

If I take my truck in for this recall, they will reprogram my PCM to correct the problem. I'm wondering what other things may be included in the reflash. Then the caveat they throw for users that don't do this recall is that you may not pass emission or smog tests, plus, your emissions warranty may be reduced. I know my local emissions checks look for codes, and I typically scan for codes before taking my vehicles in. However, I can see if there's a code that doesn't cause a MIL, the driver would be clueless.

Thoughts? Anyone done this already? Am I being too paranoid?

Old 08-08-2021, 06:40 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
There is good reason to be concerned especially when you don't have other issues. But if the current annoyances/issues are worth correcting, you take the risk and have the latest calibrations installed.

The best way to know is to check the current IDS version (with IDS) and then compare the release notes for the newer IDS versions to review what is updated. A dealer tech likely won't spend any of that time with you unless they are bored.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 07:34 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,383 Likes on 4,639 Posts
Found this:

https://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forums/topic/7045-21e01/

mchan68 is a member here. Maybe he'll comment...

I still have mine under extended warranty... 7yr/125k

I still have to take mine in for a tire pressure fault that was never resolved and the rear backup camera issue that they ordered parts for at my last visit to the dealer... and still usually not works then works sometimes...

This has me thinking about this recall also...

EDIT

https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...21e01.1388484/

Last edited by Overkill2; 08-08-2021 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add to post
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 09:10 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,449 Likes on 894 Posts
I had my '12 in for a emssions recall years ago which was basically a flash. Along with that flash came improvements on eliminating low rpm surge, transmission shifting flares, regen injections switched from 4 cylinders to all 8 cylinders were all improvements. Didn't notice any negative effects.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:33 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,137 Posts
anyone know what years this covers?
I still have black exhaust pipes and ford says it is okay because there isn't any codes

Old 08-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Just got my letter today.

Didn't the PCM have the ability to detect a faulty NOx sensor before? And a malfunctioning SCR? I'm in NY so we follow the CARB laws but there's no emissions testing here in Western NY. Only downstate by the SH City and surrounding areas because of population density.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:44 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got mine as well.
‘Fortunately we have until 12/31/2023 to get it done so maybe a few other guys can report back with their experiences…

Old 08-10-2021, 08:56 AM
mjs2011
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FishOnOne
regen injections switched from 4 cylinders to all 8 cylinders
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm curious what literature you read this in? My understanding of the regen setup is it intentionally injects fuel only on the drivers side bank of cylinders for a specific reason, the EGR cooler. As the EGR is fed from the passenger side exhaust bank only, and injecting raw fuel on the passenger side for regen would lead to raw fuel going through the EGR cooler, which is not good.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:01 AM
mjs2011
Tuned
Thanks for the link to the powerstroke.org thread, overkill. Good info in that thread.

FordDoctor Over there said it really well I think:
So to clarify some of the confusion here, FSA 21E06 PCM reprogramming corrects a software defect that sets specific DTCs and illuminates the check engine light when your upstream NOx sensor, downstream NOx sensor or the SCR catalyst has failed. In layman's terms that simply means you currently could be rolling around in a busted azz truck that is also not compliant with emissions regulations.

After FSA 21E01 is completed THREE additional FSA's become active to provide coverage for the related components.
  1. 21N02 - Upstream NOx sensor
  2. 21N05 - Downstream NOx sensor
  3. 21N06 - SCR Catalyst
Since the PCM is currently not capable of detecting the faulty components on the affected vehicles an existing failure will become evident once the PCM reprogramming has been completed. The three listed subsequent programs provide coverage for 12 MONTHS with no mileage restrictions. If a pre-existing fault exists it will likely become evident in a very short period of time - Ford has your back but it's not an open ended deal. These Customer Satisfaction Programs expire twelve months after Emissions Recall 21E01 is completed or December 31, 2024, whichever occurs first. After that any warranty coverage for the related components would likely fall under emissions or an extended warranty if coverage applies.
Long story short, having 21E01 done is a good thing. It won't cause your truck to throw codes if it was already running well. If you have 21E01 done and then your truck starts throwing codes after the fact, its because you already had faulty components in your SCR system. The 21E01 recall only enables your truck to detect these faults, which it wasn't doing before. It doesn't change the threshold for detection. This then opens the door for those components to be replaced on Ford's Dime, not your own.

​​​​​​​The programming is not going to do anything to cause issues. If you had a MIL after the flash the fact that you had a flash done would not cause the issue... though someone might feel like it did but the reality is you've had a issue all along but the truck wouldn't detect it. So this recall is good especially for people out of warranty. Because you might have a problem and normally they would be on their own to pay for it. But with this recall it's likely they will have it covered. ​​​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by mjs2011:
Old 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,718 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Originally Posted by mjs2011
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm curious what literature you read this in? My understanding of the regen setup is it intentionally injects fuel only on the drivers side bank of cylinders for a specific reason, the EGR cooler. As the EGR is fed from the passenger side exhaust bank only, and injecting raw fuel on the passenger side for regen would lead to raw fuel going through the EGR cooler, which is not good.
My understanding is that doing the regen on only one bank was causing jackhammering and may have caused engine damage. Look up "jackhammer" in is subforum and you'll find at least one thread.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:57 AM
mjs2011
Tuned
Originally Posted by HRTKD
My understanding is that doing the regen on only one bank was causing jackhammering and may have caused engine damage. Look up "jackhammer" in is subforum and you'll find at least one thread.
Interesting. So TSB 16-0041 seems to be the relevant one including the re-flash. I'll have to dig into that and see if it's been done on my truck.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Great conversion going here. I'm glad you more knowledgeable guys are commenting.

The following 2 users liked this post by Overkill2:
Old 08-10-2021, 05:51 PM
Bohen
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Be interesting to see how those who have had the weight loss surgery address this letter 🤔

Old 08-10-2021, 06:38 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Bohen
Be interesting to see how those who have had the weight loss surgery address this letter 🤔
I'd suppose they would ignore it. This is for the emissions functions only... There's no reason a deleted truck would benefit from this. And the reflash would screw up the tuned PCM. I'd say stay away.

The following 2 users liked this post by Overkill2:
Old 08-10-2021, 06:44 PM
Dirthawg2.0
Tuned
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
Received my letter today. So who is going to be the guinea pig and have the re-flash done first and share your experience with the rest of the class?

I don't currently have any issues with my truck and can't afford to be without it this time of year. I plan to wait until after the first of the year to have it re-flashed. If it needs to go back for additional work that is a better time of the year for me to be without the truck.

Quick Reply: Emission Recall 21E01