6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Emission Recall 21E01

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 08:32 PM
blkout50
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle67
Had my 2016 F-350 towed in to the dealer yesterday with the Exhaust Fault. It had gotten the 21E01 recall done and a week or so later this happened. Just got a call $1800 to fix both NOX sensors. I mentioned this issue causing the fault and that Ford should cover it and their response, was oh it's not the "covered " code. What's the difference what the code is if it's the same parts being replaced ?
Bummer you are having issues with your truck and dealer. My nephew and a buddy of mine both had the recall done on their trucks with zero issues.

Tell your dealer that front and rear NOx sensors are covered under the Field Service Actions (FSA) warranty extensions, 21N02 and 21N05 !!

Hope this helps you!

edit: in addition, the Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) System is also covered under FSA warranty extension 21N06.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-31-2021, 08:39 PM
Seattle67
New User
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blkout50
Bummer you are having issues with your truck and dealer. My nephew and a buddy of mine both had the recall done on their trucks with zero issues.

Tell your dealer that front and rear NOx sensors are covered under the Field Service Actions (FSA) warranty extensions, 21N02 and 21N05 !!

Hope this helps you!
I brought that up, service advisor is telling me it's not the "covered diagnostic codes". Which is frustrating because regardless of the code, it's the same parts, right!!??

Old 08-31-2021, 08:49 PM
blkout50
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle67
I brought that up, service advisor is telling me it's not the "covered diagnostic codes". Which is frustrating because regardless of the code, it's the same parts, right!!??
Sounds like a worthless Ford dealer. I would push them to fix the truck under the FSA warranties. Also check with other Ford dealers in your area and get a second opinion.

edit: btw, what diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) are you getting?

Old 08-31-2021, 09:13 PM
Seattle67
New User
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blkout50
Sounds like a worthless Ford dealer. I would push them to fix the truck under the FSA warranties. Also check with other Ford dealers in your area and get a second opinion.

edit: btw, what diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) are you getting?
Yes I'm not happy with them. But, since it was towed to the dealer and I cannot drive the truck stuck in idle mode due to the exhaust system fault, I'm pretty much stuck paying my get out of jail fee. I've got a case number going with Ford already....maybe if I'm persistent enough Ford will get me a refund.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:25 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,430 Likes on 1,023 Posts
get a refund for their work that caused your truck to no longer run. They didn't fix it right. They broke it.

A meeting with the General Manager, with niceness, maybe in order.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:46 AM
MnemonicGhost
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer told me I'll foot the bill

Just left the dealer. They said they will reprogram the truck but once it throws codes I'll have to bring it back to have them fix it. I then said "that's covered too right, it says in the letter". He replied "no, if the sensors are bad it will need to be replaced.... Ford doesn't cover that cost, only the reprogramming is covered."

I have an extended warranty to 75k or 2023 and I'm at 55k on my truck. I asked if warranty would cover it. He said "no, due to the recall those parts are not covered under warranty." I showed him the letter where it says "if your vehicles front NOx sensor, rear NOx sensor or SCR requires replacement and your vehicle is within the indicated program terms, Ford has authorized your dealer to replace these parts FREE OF CHARGE (parts and labor)."

He said "yeah but no one's vehicle has been within the program terms yet that I've seen"

What are these "program terms"????

I called another Ford dealer and they said they will reprogram it for free but the repairs if there are any are on the customer. Wtf? Why, it's not my fault ford failed.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,448 Likes on 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost
Just left the dealer. They said they will reprogram the truck but once it throws codes I'll have to bring it back to have them fix it. I then said "that's covered too right, it says in the letter". He replied "no, if the sensors are bad it will need to be replaced.... Ford doesn't cover that cost, only the reprogramming is covered."

I have an extended warranty to 75k or 2023 and I'm at 55k on my truck. I asked if warranty would cover it. He said "no, due to the recall those parts are not covered under warranty." I showed him the letter where it says "if your vehicles front NOx sensor, rear NOx sensor or SCR requires replacement and your vehicle is within the indicated program terms, Ford has authorized your dealer to replace these parts FREE OF CHARGE (parts and labor)."

He said "yeah but no one's vehicle has been within the program terms yet that I've seen"

What are these "program terms"????

I called another Ford dealer and they said they will reprogram it for free but the repairs if there are any are on the customer. Wtf? Why, it's not my fault ford failed.
I don't know if he's talking about these certain CEL codes or what but here's a pic of the section that references that.

Good luck. Ask him to be more specific.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:16 PM
MnemonicGhost
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
I don't know if he's talking about these certain CEL codes or what but here's a pic of the section that references that.

Good luck. Ask him to be more specific.
I spoke to Ford, the company itself. They said if the front or rear NOx sensor or SCR need replacent regardless of code, then Ford pays to replace any of those parts.

If you are under warranty those parts are free as well.

If the dealers won't foot the bill call Ford, the company. They said they will escalate and expedite the issue.

They reassured me that anything related to this recall, 21E01, is not to be paid by the customer. If there is a part not listed on the recall letter then yes the customer pays.

And again the warranty also covers these parts if all else fails.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:20 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost
I spoke to Ford, the company itself. They said if the front or rear NOx sensor or SCR need replacent regardless of code, then Ford pays to replace any of those parts.

If you are under warranty those parts are free as well.

If the dealers won't foot the bill call Ford, the company. They said they will escalate and expedite the issue.

They reassured me that anything related to this recall, 21E01, is not to be paid by the customer. If there is a part not listed on the recall letter then yes the customer pays.

And again the warranty also covers these parts if all else fails.
Thanks for checking that out. I haven't had it done yet. I have a few other issues I have to deal with (tire pressure sensor module, rear Back up camera that was replaced already once) and I'm under a Premium Care warranty for just over 2 years, just over 3 months and up to 125k miles. I'm almost at 80k miles.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:59 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,430 Likes on 1,023 Posts
it is covered, the dealer is an idiot, if you could take it elsewhere I would do so.

Warranty is part specific but the letter is clear, it is a blanket warranty for those items and parts.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:54 AM
khump
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my 2013 go into limp mode back in May. Had it towed to the dealer, they did the 21E01, which I paid for out of pocket. When i received the recall I took my receipt back to the dealer for reimbursement. They said Ford has told them that the repair is not covered under the recall. I explained to them that the repair I paid for is the exact repair the recall calls for. I called Ford and they said to send them my receipt for the repairs and that it will be at least 90 days before they make a determination. I'm still wondering why they think I should be paying for their recall. I haven't seen any difference in fuel mileage or the way the truck runs,

Old 09-17-2021, 05:39 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by khump
I had my 2013 go into limp mode back in May. Had it towed to the dealer, they did the 21E01, which I paid for out of pocket. When i received the recall I took my receipt back to the dealer for reimbursement. They said Ford has told them that the repair is not covered under the recall. I explained to them that the repair I paid for is the exact repair the recall calls for. I called Ford and they said to send them my receipt for the repairs and that it will be at least 90 days before they make a determination. I'm still wondering why they think I should be paying for their recall. I haven't seen any difference in fuel mileage or the way the truck runs,

Welcome to FTE. Thanks for the input. That's crazy you have to jump through hoops and wait that long. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:58 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
I go in on Monday for the fix. My fuel millage is down to 11.2 usually around 13. My driving style is still the same. When I go I goes and when I stop I stops.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:17 PM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the recall done about two weeks ago. No problems.
Loaded the camper and headed out to mountains - it seems to be getting slightly better mileage - but only used a half tank of fuel so far.
And most speeds were under 60 mph and even slower on surface roads on the mountain.
Truck and camper weigh about 14,000 pounds.

I'll be towing the Jeep to Arizona next month and that will really tell.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:27 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Thank you everyone who's posted your experiences. I just got back from spending some time up in the mountains, which is why I've been quiet. I'm still going to wait a while, minimum, before I think about letting Ford do this recall.

Quick Reply: Emission Recall 21E01