Possible year? - Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 04:28 PM
Chipz
Junior User
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Possible year? - Anyone?

I have had this, in a box, on a shelf, in a desk drawer,.........

It is unused and in very nice condition
Only markings are,.... GM, RP, USA

It's the only GM piece I have,....... it's not part of the full garage of vintage F100 parts I need to find new homes for.
As well as and original 4X4, and a panel, my ex is selling her house,.....
I am serving "10 Days in NO PM's - No Sales Prison" until the mods sort out if I am a Russian hacker, a Chinese hacker, a North Korean hacker, or a guy who bought his first F100 at age 24 and is now 64.

64 with 40 years worth of hard to come by parts that are going to wind up being sent to the scrap yard,
piled into the back of the panel and the bed of the 4X4.

So,.........some help with the ID on this cigar lighter? Anyone?

Old 07-15-2021, 10:20 AM
alloro
Received 4,254 Likes on 2,480 Posts
Originally Posted by Chipz
I have had this, in a box, on a shelf, in a desk drawer,.........

It is unused and in very nice condition
Only markings are,.... GM, RP, USA

I am serving "10 Days in NO PM's - No Sales Prison" until the mods sort out if I am a Russian hacker, a Chinese hacker, a North Korean hacker, or a guy who bought his first F100 at age 24 and is now 64.
Sounds to me like you haven't gotten the message because you're still trying to offer an item for sale in a roundabout way.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:29 AM
Chipz
Junior User
Originally Posted by alloro
Sounds to me like you haven't gotten the message because you're still trying to offer an item for sale in a roundabout way.
No, I'm not trying to offer anything for sale in any way what so ever.

Who on earth, and how on earth, would someone hope to sell a "Chevrolet" item, on a "Ford Only" platform?
Even thinking such a think is simply stupid.
Just asking for some help in identifying the possible year.

A guy on another site sent me this,................

And I thanked him profusely for taking the time to help me out.

You have any questions, PM me,........LOL

Old 07-15-2021, 03:04 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,406 Posts
I think you are almost there on the number of days.

When I saw the pictures of that lighter I was thinking it would be earlier than the '50s. '30s maybe.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:21 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,517 Likes on 2,161 Posts
It looks like Bakelite which was discontinued in the 40's and gone by 1950 because it contained formaldehyde and asbestos.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:36 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Old 07-15-2021, 04:41 PM
Chipz
Junior User
Originally Posted by 85e150
I think you are almost there on the number of days.

When I saw the pictures of that lighter I was thinking it would be earlier than the '50s. '30s maybe.

I agree with you,.... but that advertisement,.... really looks like a match.

The guy who helped me said this,....

"These are very difficult to identify, as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of catalogs with illustrations. However, I did find this in some of the older Delco literature. See attached page copy. It looks like a good match for the Chevy application, Mike."

Wish it showed the front, (the view when it's in place).

I wore myself out searching "vintage dashboard" photos,...... just didn't have much luck.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:55 PM
Chipz
Junior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
It looks like Bakelite which was discontinued in the 40's and gone by 1950 because it contained formaldehyde and asbestos.
A good point indeed.

I wonder if there is a possibility it's "melamine?"
Back in the day my mom had some "Melmac" cups and dishes.

I have a few pieces,.....cups and dishes, for use out doors, camping and such.
They are practically indestructible.

Some of the older members would remember them and even be able to list the colors.

That is the darkest brown in Melmac I have ever seen.

"I would love to have 2 or 4 of those lunch trays,...... the notation says they were used by the military"

Old 07-15-2021, 05:14 PM
Chipz
Junior User
Originally Posted by 85e150
That was some good reading, that 1907 date,... I thought I saw the same date in the Melamine info I read.

Melamine is an organic compound with the formula C3H6N6. This white solid is a trimer of cyanamide, with a 1,3,5-triazine skeleton. Like cyanamide, it contains 67% nitrogen by mass, and its derivatives have fire retardant properties due to its release of nitrogen gas when burned or charred. Melamine can be combined with formaldehyde and other agents to produce melamine resins. Such resins are characteristically durable thermosetting plastic used in high pressure decorative laminates such as Formica, melamine dinnerware, laminate flooring, and dry erase boards. Melamine foam is used as insulation, soundproofing material and in polymeric cleaning products, such as Magic Eraser.

More than a century after the invention of the first “modern” plastic (Bakelite in 1907), the attitude toward these miracle materials has changed—and rightly so. Now, plastics are viewed less as wonderful time-savers and valuable-resource substitutes, and more like the enemies of the natural world that they are.

Let’s put aside today’s modern attitudes and examine the great contributions made by another fantastic mid-century plastic: melamine. The melamine tableware that we know today can trace its beginnings to the needs of the United States Navy. Sometime around 1939 or 1940, the navy contracted with the Watertown Manufacturing Company (WMCo) to come up with a plastic replacement for ceramic dinnerware which it found to be too heavy, noisy, and fragile. By 1942, WMCo had created a working design that had been put into production and into use on ships. The melamine formulation they used was much harder, stronger and more stain resistant than other plastics that had been tried. By 1944, 90% of the company’s production was war related. Melamine, for tableware, can trace a direct line to the success of using it for shirt buttons for the military. According to an American Cyanamid (AmCy) brochure: “[Melamine] plastic buttons were tried and found not only to be cheaper but more satisfactory because of their ability to stand up under long wear, rough usage and repeated laundering. … Naval craft were in need of sturdy, lightweight tableware. Here again [melamine] plastics, because of their hardness and resistance to boiling water, proved superior.”

According to a 1943 article in the Billings Gazette, the designer (Jon Hedu at WMCo) developed “streamlined plates [that] are resistant to boiling water, staining, knife cutting and will not crack. They weigh 80 percent less than crockery and conserve as much as 75 percent of storage space required.”

The tableware was tested for three years in the laboratory and in the field before being adopted for widespread use in 1942. (This field-testing might have included use on airlines; some information has appeared to suggest this. Aboard planes, three quarters of the weight and space required for paper plates is saved.) In short order, melamine had become the plastic of choice for the army, navy, and airlines.

Fast forward to the end of World War II, and WMCo made its “Watertown Ware” available to the public in August 1945. The response was tremendous, so the company asked its in-house designer, Hedu, to come up with another line specifically for consumers. “Lifetime Ware” was born. It was first used in tests in industrial settings starting sometime in 1946, and made available for purchase by consumers in 1947. “Lifetime Ware” was added to the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in 1947.

Ahhh, it was in reference to Bakelite.

Looks like the U.S. Navy was first to jump in.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:56 PM
Chipz
Junior User
I found a 51' Chevy,..... I'm going to ask one of those guys if I can look at their dashboard.

When they get out of jail.