WD-Sway Control Hitch Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 12:38 PM
kevinn_63
5th Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
WD-Sway Control Hitch Recommendations

I am looking at a TT with a max wt of 9995 lbs, dry tongue wt listed at 965 lbs. I want some contingency so am looking at a weight distribution - sway control hitch rated around 12,000/1,200 lbs. Will pull with a 4wd F-350 with ample capacity. Most concerned about sway.

Interested in your recommendations for a hitch for this set up, based on your experience, as well as what to stay away from. Looking to spend under $1K. Thanks

Old 07-13-2021, 01:12 PM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 442 Likes on 297 Posts
Take a look at the Andersen hitch. My trailer is lighter than yours will be but I'm happy with the hitch from a sway control perspective. I'm assuming your truck will have a 3" receiver so I'd get something that doesn't require a reducing sleeve regardless of what you end up with.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pugga:
Old 07-13-2021, 03:25 PM
BSHORT
Cargo Master
Received 1,373 Likes on 708 Posts
I have the standard Camco WDH. Never an issue in 7 years.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:37 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 456 Likes on 332 Posts
The Andersen is a nice choice for you, as it's strength is that it provides sway control in a simple and lightweight package. It doesn't do quick as me WD action as some others, but that should be no worry for your application.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:23 PM
WE3ZS
Received 920 Likes on 620 Posts
To more fully cover various trip loadings I typically recommend sizing the WD system based on 15% of the GVWR for the tongue weight, so for that TT I would spec the WS system to handle 1500lbs of tongue weight. Our 12K TT runs with a tongue weight just a hair over that 15% figure. I would also strongly recommend a WD system with built-in sway control vs any sort of add-on friction anti-sway devices.
Lots of systems available to choose from out there, I got lucky and found a good used Hensley Arrow for only $650, have since logged over 45K miles on it, and still love how good it is.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-13-2021, 06:06 PM
Kellem
More Turbo
Received 116 Likes on 73 Posts
Good for you putting safety first, even with a formidable tow vehicle.
I'm old AND old school so still using the reliable Reese DC, on it's 3rd trailer and 15 years of service.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:17 AM
Reel Kahuna
Senior User
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I can't say enough of the Hensley hitch. Pricey but IMO, worth it for me.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:29 AM
BirchyBoy
Senior User
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
I’ve had two different WD/SC hitches. The first was an Equalizer brand and the other was a Blue Ox SwayPro:

The Equalizer was far better for me. It uses two tension arms that you can either put in place easily when jacked up or manually with a lever if the jack has been stowed. It was a little noisy but they make pads for the L brackets that help a lot. The only downside is you can’t upgrade or downgrade the capacity by changing arms. If you want to go up or down you have to buy new.

I got away from TT’s because of the Blue Ox. It uses chains for tensioning the arms and that thing was just a real PITA. Maybe I didn’t read the directions enough or something else, but I thought I was going to ruin my shoulder with that. The only upside is the arms could be swapped for smaller/bigger as needed.

If return to TT’s, it would either be another Equalizer or a ProPride or Arrow. Never used the ProPride but have never read a bad thing except for the cost.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:16 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,048 Likes on 2,835 Posts
I have the Andersen WDH. My review of it can be found here. Customer service has been excellent.

I had the Blue ox Sway Pro before the Andersen. It did a good job, but like BirchyBoy said above, it takes some effort. Once you get used to how to attach it, the process is straight forward.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:58 AM
GM in a Ford
Tuned
Received 222 Likes on 106 Posts
I am just starting to tow my new trailer (7,800 lb GVWR) and have an EAZ-LIFT weight distributing hitch with built in sway control. So far so good, but still very early with it. Nice thing is, the WD bars don't hang down with changes. They go over top of the mount and if you raise the tongue up enough they can be put on without using the tool.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:27 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
ProPride which is very similar to the Hensley.
On many WDH you have to loosen the tension (on the bars) before backing up. Not necessary on the ProPride or Hensley.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:37 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,048 Likes on 2,835 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
On many WDH you have to loosen the tension (on the bars) before backing up. Not necessary on the ProPride or Hensley.
I think this is Urban Legend. Or perhaps FUD put out by one of the WDH manufacturers. This has come up before and nobody could identify a recent model of WDH that requires this.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:40 AM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I use the Blue Ox setup with 1500lb bars and the Straptek WD Tension kit. No chains and you just ratchet it tight and to loosen.
Almost 4 years with it and zero issues..

Griz

Old 07-18-2021, 11:38 AM
meborder
Received 370 Likes on 265 Posts
Been a lot of good suggestion above.

im using the Reese straight line DC and I would recommend it to anyone for any application. It is harder to install and harder to set up, but once it is dialed in, the results are worth the effort. The cams make it nearly impossible for the trailer to turn or sway behind the vehicle, and if there is any movement there are active forces from the cams to push everything back into a straight line. IMO, the only hitches that are better are the propride and Hensley. Those make it physically impossible for the trailer to turn or sway. But with that said, the Reese works so well that I don’t personally see how they can work much better. The PP and Hensley make sway physically impossible. The Reese makes it practically impossible.

So, with all of that in mind, for your application I would look hard at the Andersen. The shank sizes available is a huge benefit for you. The Anderson doesn’t provide as much weight transfer to the front axle; and the sway control is passive instead of active (it’s partially active, but more resistive in nature as it can’t push the trailer back in a straight line). But I think the advantage offered by the Reese are advantages you won’t really need. People who use the Andersen are by and large extremely happy with them.

they both cost about the same so your trade off is that the Andersen is lighter, and easier to set up and hook up. The Reese might be better, but it is much harder to install and set up.

my $0.02

Old 08-03-2021, 07:52 AM
Marcm15
Senior User
Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts
I am a fan of the Equalizer 4 point system. It has performed flawlessly for me for years. Easy to install / setup and when properly matched to your truck / trailer combo is a great alternative to the "Chain" setups. Overall it is a reasonably priced hitch that provides both weight distribution and sway control. As a side benefit, you can back your trailer up without having to remove the bars.

Quick Reply: WD-Sway Control Hitch Recommendations