Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes Sensors and scan live data questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 12:07 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Received 452 Likes on 397 Posts
Codes Sensors and scan live data questions

So throttle position sensor rate
electronic pressure control
Overdrive cancel switch depressed
Ac cutout WOT

these 4 live data items have been incorrect or at least not in “acceptable” boundaries
-tps date is in red(autel mk808) and in the hundreds and anything over say 35% applied is out of bounds and my understanding of the item is it thinks I’m actively pressing down quickly when above that number even if I hold it (slow doesn’t help, wont stop unless I depress back, I think this is why ac cutout says on even tho I’m not at WOT Ever), it thinks I’m stepping on it? TPS % is proper during this)

-I believe this is for transmission but I have no idea. Sometimes the data is erroneous snd doesn’t seem to reaact to anything I try and sometimes it reads ok? Help

-overdrive switch almost always says depressed even tho it’s not, won’t change and it works properly to drop out of od and to have coast clutch assistance. Never changes

​​​​​​-look at #1 for my best guess

and final,y, codes. I have a lean code that I just replaced a bunch of vacuum leaks so maybe is good have to drive more.

i have a periodic code for vss but it always reads normal never has skipped around or dropped incorrectly. No freeze frames to see.

i also have trans range sensor out of specification but it always shifts right feeling wise and needle lines up. Every time I monitor live data it reads the right gear selected amd commanded. It’s a loosey goosey Ford shifter tho

I have no smog canister hooked to anything the fittings broke. Never smell gas or see a code but thought to say something
e40d likes to get hot and slam sometimes but I think the heat is from it being hot and it being an e40d without a trans cooler in front of rad just rad. Gonna get one
the Slamming I have been lenient because of the tps rate thing but I’m mass air so I don’t know what it relies on

Old 07-01-2021, 08:38 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 1,004 Likes on 788 Posts
What codes nubers are you getting?
If the TPS is going out of range that will affect everything including trans operation, so this sould be the first thing you tackle.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:45 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Conanski
What codes nubers are you getting?
If the TPS is going out of range that will affect everything including trans operation, so this sould be the first thing you tackle.
it is not going out of range the truck reads it 0-100, idle, pt, wot normally and consistent with the number not spiking at least according to live data (I’ve heard of the faster than detectable spikes in a gm car but i don’t know if that is at play)

I get a few codes. My pic wasn’t that great let me see it I can read from before

slrry flr sideways and blurry and cut off the literal numbers. But the VSS would be the missing code from that read that was out of self test range as well. It comes and goes less frequent than trans range and much less than lean. Lean may not come back need to drive more.

here I found some memory snapshot of what I am saying

This number is constantly flailing up to about 900 and falling down to acceptable per the range when I back off the throttle. My presumption is the function is that if someone lightly is increasing the throttle it would not try and shift as if you’re WOT and be more gentle and if you are jumping on it, the ac cut off and maybe even fueling? Would increase anticipating your aggressive accel vs under performing l. I assume

Last edited by AuroraGirl; 07-01-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:16 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Trans Range sensor out of range is major issue, that is more often called the MLPS sensor and is on the side of the transmission, it indicates the shifter position to the computer. It's common to find issues with the wiring to this sensor so closely inspect that when replacing the sensor.

The throttle rate issue may not be a real issue, I suspect it has to do with how that software works and would be out of your control anyway.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:26 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Trans Range sensor out of range is major issue, that is more often the called the MLPS sensor and is on the side of the transmission, it indicates the shifter position to the computer. It's common to find issues with the wiring to this sensor so closely inspect that when replacing the sensor.

The throttle rate issue may not be a real issue, I suspect it has to do with how that software works and would be out of your control anyway.
I’m gonna take a look at some factory service manual data and see if I can find anything in live data definitions like gm lays out

Old 07-01-2021, 10:31 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Trans Range sensor out of range is major issue, that is more often the called the MLPS sensor and is on the side of the transmission, it indicates the shifter position to the computer. It's common to find issues with the wiring to this sensor so closely inspect that when replacing the sensor.

I’m gonna take a look at some factory service manual data and see if I can find anything in live data definitions like gm lays out on theirs and gives the normal expected value. I’m gonna see if it’s a Ford one and if it’s data is truly erroneous

Every time I check the live data it always reads the right gear position but I seem to recall the wiring under there looked s little wet from trans fluid. Puking and all Lol

i also have an oil leak from my pan that collects at a point and looks like it flies backward snd hits trans and not the ground when driving so maybe some oil is finding it’s way. I need more contact spray anyway

Old 07-01-2021, 10:33 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Trans Range sensor out of range is major issue, that is more often called the MLPS sensor and is on the side of the transmission, it indicates the shifter position to the computer. It's common to find issues with the wiring to this sensor so closely inspect that when replacing the sensor.

to be clear the trans range sensor is trans mounted not column? I’ve been thinking it was in there
it makes sense it’s like the internal mode range switch on my 4t65e. When that so.. died… it was sad.

it sounds like the Ford one is bolted externally?

Old 07-01-2021, 11:04 AM
TobyB
More Turbo
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
So, for the throttle position rate value-

that could indeed be a noisy sensor. If'n it was me, I'd meter the voltage from it with an analog
meter, or a digital meter with a 'quick read' function- I know Fluke meters have that- but they're priced accordingly
(We have them at work)

It also might be a wiring fault- so if the sensor meters smoothly,
I'd next try metering it at the ECU pin.

just something to rule out,
t

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Yes it is on the side of the trans where the shifter linkage attaches..

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-01-2021, 11:14 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by TobyB
So, for the throttle position rate value-

that could indeed be a noisy sensor. If'n it was me, I'd meter the voltage from it with an analog
meter, or a digital meter with a 'quick read' function- I know Fluke meters have that- but they're priced accordingly
(We have them at work)

It also might be a wiring fault- so if the sensor meters smoothly,
I'd next try metering it at the ECU pin.

just something to rule out,
t
hmm interestig idea

the fact you say noisy, which isnt wrong way to describe it, makes it a little more obvious what it means.

all the engine control sensors or at least a lot of them are on the 5v reference circuit, correct? Any excessive fluctuations on the circuit would affect everything on this circuit, right?
I have a ect with some Ehh wiring but the temp is always accurate in the live data. the gauge sometimes goes zero but thats by the intake runners in the cneter kinda, right?contacts on sensor looked good, connector looked fine, but i will prob look to be safe
where would i find the ECM ground by chance i know i had a crusty body to frame strap on opposite side and ive only cleaned up battery and fender ground, not ecms dedicated ground

unfortunately no analog meter and none with the function. i dont even have a DVOM with an impedence of 10 megohm like is considered mimimum for car electrical work to be accurate.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:23 AM
torq'ta 5 8
Logistics Pro
Received 693 Likes on 514 Posts
Old 07-01-2021, 11:26 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

g100 in ford nomenclature is like gm i assume, cool lol

Old 07-02-2021, 05:35 PM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by torq'ta 5 8

I found that yesterday.. lol.. it clearly has a poor health ground. For the pcm right? I fixed the ground but not long term fix just for now ni will be fixing either the original or finding another place to make a suitable ground. That didn’t do much I could tell but I watched live data and the values seemed more fluid and less spikes and drops on things like trims sensors etc, but it could be my imagination hoping that is the case. I have a code I am going to check when I drove home last night and CEL is lit. It’s maybe a lean code I still have positive trims. BUT I now have two fuel trims that are matching and the injector pulse width is matching much closely than it was before vac leaks fixed (bank to bank matching that is not short and long)

Old 07-02-2021, 08:22 PM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

I included this because I figured the main junction with most wires visible is a good place to get a general idea of if i need to be checking circuits or suspect some messing with etc

Old 07-02-2021, 08:23 PM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Im maybe seeing things but is my sensor... bent..? like the thing doesnt appear parralel with the case.. i assume that would be proper

Quick Reply: Codes Sensors and scan live data questions