1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Z31freakify a new Super Duty owner? Or maybe not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 09:20 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Old turbo out for rebuild, I was going to install the 66m turbo I had but I forgot how bad it did on my OBS when I towed.
IM also going to reseal the turbo pedestal and had the exhaust bolts on the babys azz we're seized bad and before I got violent I decided to get my grinder and cut the up pipe. Surprisingly the up pipes had no soot and the O rings on the pedestal upper and lower felt and looked like they were replaced recently,
bellow up pipes go in as well

Adam, I’m sure you know firsthand whatever you do do not send your turbo over to Byron to have him rebuild it. We know how that works out…

The following 3 users liked this post by Colorado350:
Old 08-18-2021, 10:51 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,556 Likes on 2,887 Posts
Adam ( @z31freakify ), I am assuming the off white colored debris in the picture below is solidified dust from the environment in the southwest region?

Looking good sir. Thank you for posting so many pictures for many of us to enjoy from a distance.

Image source: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post20022576

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-18-2021, 06:18 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,202 Likes on 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Adam ( @z31freakify ), I am assuming the off white colored debris in the picture below is solidified dust from the environment in the southwest region?
Yes it's that silica rich dirt that destroys these engines in Texas.
Looking good sir. Thank you for posting so many pictures for many of us to enjoy from a distance.

Image source: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post20022576
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Adam, I’m sure you know firsthand whatever you do do not send your turbo over to Byron to have him rebuild it. We know how that works out…
you know we can't send that guy nothing nice, he Hulks everything up
I'm joking Byron, don't go hulk on my post

Old 08-18-2021, 06:27 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Originally Posted by petrokiller
Nice work on the truck so far.

You should of pulled the boys on a knee board. LOL
After the getting stuck incident I'm just glad I got it out, we did have lots of fun in our go kart and 4 wheeler got all full of mud lol.
Originally Posted by Wes444
Wow. I bet it runs night n day different after that bad compressor and stuck closed ebpv were taken care of
oh yeah ran better, ebpv is now working as it should and I can't belive I didn't feel it hear it, I guess it was open enough to not cause noise or major boost loss on WOT.
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

hey there now this is the third time I said "For now"

I told you guys old age takes a toll on the memory department I swear I had a cast 5x5 wheel, but oh well as long as I'm not getting turbo surge I'm good FOR NOW.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:38 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 847 Likes on 618 Posts
I totes understand why fixing it now ain't gonna happen, but for future folks reading this thread the alignment pin on the uppie collector is Bad. That will "clock" the collector passages away from those on the baby's butt. The passages will not align well hindering exhaust flow to the turbine. Not a mortal wound at all, but if you want to maximize flow to the turbo spend some time blending the passages.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:35 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
you know we can't send that guy nothing nice, he Hulks everything up
I'm joking Byron, don't go hulk on my post
Hey dudes, there is nothing on these turbos that a 4 lb. sledge can't fix Adam, this is why we can't have nice things. I can't count how many times my dad said this. John, I am very good at rebuilding things. It just takes a few tries and BOOM...it's perfect.

Also Adam, I believe that 5x5 wheel is in my truck isn't it? That's the one you had laying around that you sent to me I believe.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:07 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Hey dudes, there is nothing on these turbos that a 4 lb. sledge can't fix Adam, this is why we can't have nice things. I can't count how many times my dad said this. John, I am very good at rebuilding things. It just takes a few tries and BOOM...it's perfect.

Also Adam, I believe that 5x5 wheel is in my truck isn't it? That's the one you had laying around that you sent to me I believe.
Nah, I had a spare cast 5x5 whee,l what happened to it? No freaking clue but I know I had one somewhere at some time. It will show up eventually.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:22 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Nah, I had a spare cast 5x5 whee,l what happened to it? No freaking clue but I know I had one somewhere at some time. It will show up eventually.
Oh, so you are hording them! True 7.3 addiction is strong with you Yeah, it'll show up and you'll think "there it is....I put that there for safe keeping" LOL I too have lost many items this way.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:51 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
I totes understand why fixing it now ain't gonna
it's running good and with low pressure in blow by why would I open the engine up? I'll run it till it dies lol.

happen,but for future folks reading this thread the alignment pin on the uppie collector is Bad. That will "clock" the collector passages away from those on the baby's butt. The passages will not align well hindering exhaust flow to the turbine. Not a mortal wound at all, but if you want to maximize flow to the turbo spend some time blending the passages.
Great catch, didn't even notice the alignment pin, turbo went in smoothly though with no leaks, I wouldn't worry to much about.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:59 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Oh, so you are hording them! True 7.3 addiction is strong with you Yeah, it'll show up and you'll think "there it is....I put that there for safe keeping" LOL I too have lost many items this way.
Sometimes I feel like a dog looking for his buried bone, I stash stuff then forget where I left them look all over the place then a couple days, weeks , months and even some years I find it when I'm not even looking for it lol.

Like the other day I found my old school circa 2000 15" Rockford Fosgate h2e subwoofer on my 300zx under some tarps been looking for it for at least 4 years, then found it when I was looking for my old PS2.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:31 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,989 Likes on 1,183 Posts
I totes understand why fixing it now ain't gonna happen, but for future folks reading this thread the alignment pin on the uppie collector is Bad. That will "clock" the collector passages away from those on the baby's butt. The passages will not align well hindering exhaust flow to the turbine. Not a mortal wound at all, but if you want to maximize flow to the turbo spend some time blending the passages.
That pin is definitely more off center than the hole for it in the turbo inlet. I just checked a few OE collectors and a set of ‘cheap’ up-pipes I have here and the pins are all closer to center of the dividers.

What brand are those up-pipes?

Old 08-19-2021, 09:18 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,556 Likes on 2,887 Posts
Like the other day I found my old school circa 2000 15" Rockford Fosgate h2e subwoofer on my 300zx under some tarps been looking for it for at least 4 years, then found it when I was looking for my old PS2.
If you are a Z car fan, you may appreciate the new 2023 Nissan Z coming out. They tried to play a lot off the old 300ZX style from the 90's.

A few pictures in the link below for you if you have a few minutes of down time between projects.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/...lery/?slide=28

Old 08-19-2021, 10:02 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
That pin is definitely more off center than the hole for it in the turbo inlet. I just checked a few OE collectors and a set of ‘cheap’ up-pipes I have here and the pins are all closer to center of the dividers.

What brand are those up-pipes?
Some no name eBay special.
Sellers name eccppautoparts

Old 08-19-2021, 10:05 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
If you are a Z car fan, you may appreciate the new 2023 Nissan Z coming out. They tried to play a lot off the old 300ZX style from the 90's.

A few pictures in the link below for you if you have a few minutes of down time between projects.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/...lery/?slide=28
Eeehhh not my cup of tea, I'm an 80's/90's Japanesse car loving freak.
That car almost looks like the new abomination they called "Supra"

Old 08-20-2021, 07:32 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Eeehhh not my cup of tea, I'm an 80's/90's Japanesse car loving freak.
That car almost looks like the new abortion they called "Supra"
Fixed it for you

Quick Reply: Z31freakify a new Super Duty owner? Or maybe not?