2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

My Rancho 9000XL shock blew today. What should I buy???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 02:11 PM
Mack3006
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
and 3 months later. No luck.
So I’m at the end with Ranchero and Amazon.

Amazon ended up giving me a 79$ credit. Ya that’s it.
Amazon would not send replacements.

ranchero finally agreed To send me just the front two.
but they are back ordered for 3 months.

I told them to pound salt and keep their shocks.
I’m not waiting 3 more months for shocks.
I’ll never buy or have a ranchero product on my truck.

I ordered the bilistne 5100 shocks.
I ended up not putting them on my truck. The diameter of the strut tube was about half the size of the xl9000’s
also 5100’s we not made in the USA, the xl9000’s were.

I went to bolt the 5100’s on and they just seemed to small for a 7400lb truck.

Do I just go with fox2.0’s?
I really don’t want to spend 1500-2000$ On the high end shocks.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:25 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Mack3006
and 3 months later. No luck.
So I’m at the end with Ranchero and Amazon.

Amazon ended up giving me a 79$ credit. Ya that’s it.
Amazon would not send replacements.

ranchero finally agreed To send me just the front two.
but they are back ordered for 3 months.

I told them to pound salt and keep their shocks.
I’m not waiting 3 more months for shocks.
I’ll never buy or have a ranchero product on my truck.

I ordered the bilistne 5100 shocks.
I ended up not putting them on my truck. The diameter of the strut tube was about half the size of the xl9000’s
also 5100’s we not made in the USA, the xl9000’s were.

I went to bolt the 5100’s on and they just seemed to small for a 7400lb truck.

Do I just go with fox2.0’s?
I really don’t want to spend 1500-2000$ On the high end shocks.
You can go with whatever you want, but Fox 2.0 and Bilstein 5100 are almost exactly the same size. The Rancho 9000xl looks so much larger because the piston is inside a tube, inside a tube, inside a tube, or a "tri-tube" body, while Fox and Bilstein use monotube bodies. I don't think you'll find a huge difference between Fox 2.0 and Bilstein 5100 unless the rebuildability of the 2.0 is something you want. Both are generally considered good shocks and adequate for an F-250/350 under typical use.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:28 PM
last5oh_302
Laughing Gas
Received 322 Likes on 186 Posts
So because in your opinion the Bilsteins seemed small, even though they're made for the truck, you decided to not use them?

I know when the time comes to replace my F350 shocks I'll be going with Bilsteins. The price is right and they're tried and tested and last forever, or at least I've never worn one out.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-16-2021, 09:54 PM
Mack3006
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyE
You can go with whatever you want, but Fox 2.0 and Bilstein 5100 are almost exactly the same size. The Rancho 9000xl looks so much larger because the piston is inside a tube, inside a tube, inside a tube, or a "tri-tube" body, while Fox and Bilstein use monotube bodies. I don't think you'll find a huge difference between Fox 2.0 and Bilstein 5100 unless the rebuildability of the 2.0 is something you want. Both are generally considered good shocks and adequate for an F-250/350 under typical use.

Thanks for clarifying the tri tube. I did not know about that.
the fox 2.0’s are about $200 more the the 5100’s.

I think the fox will fit my needs.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:20 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 366 Likes on 223 Posts
do they say assembled in mexico ? i wouldnt worry about it. now if they said made in china it would be different story

Old 08-17-2021, 07:51 AM
kball
Cross-Country
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I have 5100's on my F-450 and love the way they ride. The factory FX4 rancho's were toast after 30k miles.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:13 AM
smikesF350
Tuned
Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts
Thanks for this thread and all the information provided. I recently hit the 20K miles mark. I've been pondering on changing out the OEM shocks since I bought my truck. Not being overly familiar with how the different Brands will effect the ride and and the more I checked into the products web sites the more confusing things got. I have not plans to go off roading. I opted to go with the 4X4 choice for poor weather conditions- Rain, (if there is still such a condition any more) and snow. I have had Rancho shocks on my Bronco and never had any issues. After reading about the miserable Rancho customer support, Rancho is not a Company I would be willing to take a chance and rolling the dice on. Like the saying goes, the odds are always in favor of the house. However, I'd would be willing to bet that Mack3006 did not start out to be an "influencer" for the shock market, he was simply trying for input to resolve his situation. It is intolerable for a huge Company like Rancho to assert they back their product yet make it so difficult for a customer to try and use it. After all, part of the high price we pay for products with claims of lifetime customer support is factored in to cover potential failure of said products, sort of like paying for insurance up front, just in case. I kinda get Amazon's position, what do they know about shocks and determining manufacturing defect/failure. Beside, Amazon likely just had the shocks dropped shipped to Mack3006. If Mack3006 can prove he was the original purchaser, he should be able to go into ANY Rancho dealer for remedy. If you bought a Craftsman tool that failed, do ya really think I am going to take it back to the Sears store I bought if from 50 years ago! Once again this great FTE Community in all probably has saved me a lot of future aggravation. I will go with the Bilsteins. The Fox shocks sound good, but likely too much shock for my intended use of my truck.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:45 AM
AK2NC
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
For the '99 7.3L I used to own, I had new Ranchos put on at Sears. 20 years later, the shocks needed replaced. I took my receipt to Sears, but Sears was going out of business and wasn't doing any more automotive work. I contacted Rancho about getting replacements. I explained that I couldn't get the new shocks from Sears. After I sent Rancho a photo-copy of my Sears receipt, Rancho mailed me 4 new shocks and told me to send back the old ones. Maybe I got lucky.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:19 AM
BackingOut
Cross-Country
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by smikesF350
If Mack3006 can prove he was the original purchaser, he should be able to going into ANY Rancho dealer for remedy. If you bought a Craftsman tool that failed, do ya really think I am going to take it back to the Sears store I bought if from 50 years ago! Once again this great FTE Community in all probably has saved me a lot of future aggravation. I will go with the Bilsteins. The Fox shocks sound good, but likely too much shock for my intended use of my truck.
Great comment.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:26 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by BackingOut
Great comment.
This should also serve to illustrate what a BAD idea it is to order anything from Amazon. Nothing more than a profiteering middle man. There is ALWAYs a better choice than using Amazon.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:50 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the process.
From our warranty:

To make a claim under this warranty, return the worn-out or defective product with the dated original receipt to the dealer or retailer from whom it was purchased or to a Rancho® dealer for verification and exchange under this warranty.

We reimburse them (the retailer) when they do a warranty. This is pretty much standard in the shock industry.

https://www.gorancho.com/warranty-guarantee/

Originally Posted by AK2NC
For the '99 7.3L I used to own, I had new Ranchos put on at Sears. 20 years later, the shocks needed replaced. I took my receipt to Sears, but Sears was going out of business and wasn't doing any more automotive work. I contacted Rancho about getting replacements. I explained that I couldn't get the new shocks from Sears. After I sent Rancho a photo-copy of my Sears receipt, Rancho mailed me 4 new shocks and told me to send back the old ones. Maybe I got lucky.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:08 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,124 Likes on 1,596 Posts
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension
This is the process.
From our warranty:

To make a claim under this warranty, return the worn-out or defective product with the dated original receipt to the dealer or retailer from whom it was purchased or to a Rancho® dealer for verification and exchange under this warranty.

We reimburse them (the retailer) when they do a warranty. This is pretty much standard in the shock industry.

https://www.gorancho.com/warranty-guarantee/

I believe Bilstein has a similar prolicy, where you start the warranty process through the place of purchase, unless they are no longer in business then an alternative method is provided through Bilstein. Based on the experience of the gentleman you quoted it sounds like Rancho has the same policy. FOX on the other hand, if I'm not mistaken, handles the warranty claim direct with the customer.

To me the key to the Rancho warranty policy is this part, "......or to a Rancho® dealer for verification and exchange under this warranty." That would lead me to believe the OP could take the shock to any Rancho dealer for verification, and not be obligated to deal with original seller who was not being accommodating. I might not be clear on what defines a "Rancho dealer".

Old 08-17-2021, 04:46 PM
smikesF350
Tuned
[QUOTE=Rancho Suspension;20022365]This is the process.
From our warranty:

https://www.gorancho.com/warranty-guarantee/[/QUOE]
What part of this is Rancho not getting or is it just deflection, the original OP clearly stated the seller, Amazon, will not take the shocks back.

Why is Rancho so rigid and refusing to step up and take care of the issue. Go Bilsteins!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2021, 06:27 PM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,182 Posts
[QUOTE=smikesF350;20022528]
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension
This is the process.
From our warranty:

https://www.gorancho.com/warranty-guarantee/[/QUOE]
What part of this is Rancho not getting or is it just deflection, the original OP clearly stated the seller, Amazon, will not take the shocks back.

Why is Rancho so rigid and refusing to step up and take care of the issue. Go Bilsteins!!!!!!!!!!!
Giving a customer the run around for three months on your product over "policy" is bad business no matter how you want to defend or present it. Rancho has lost a customer here, likely anybody reading this thread would now choose another manufacturer. Your products are not so special as to allow you to give poor service, policy or not. It is crystal clear to everybody reading that Rancho customer service sucks. Shame the "Rancho guru" here was unable and unwilling to actually help. You had the opportunity to step up, help a forum member and make a good impression for the company. That didn't happen, good luck with your business model....

The following 2 users liked this post by RidgwaySD:
Old 08-17-2021, 07:45 PM
smikesF350
Tuned
The entire "fire storm" Rancho created in this instance could have been avoided had Rancho put out the tiny ember when it was just smoldering. Instead Rancho chose to throw the customer under the bus and take a stance behind some BS corporate policy, which has done nothing but fuel the fire. Like my earlier comment analogy about Craftsman tools, ( to which I still have my first set of screwdrivers I both 50+ years ago), Could you imagine being on the road, traveling from the west coast and have defective Rancho shock failure somewhere on the east coast. Mr. Rancho corp policy maker, would you really expect me to turn a somewhat benign situation into a hazardous condition due to you demand of only returning to the dealer of purchase? I choose to buy high quality parts with the expectation they are in fact quality and have longevity. I buy name brand tires knowing any issues can be resolved Nationwide. Rancho has only themselves to blame for the direction this thread took and the untold numbers of potential customers lost. I feel bad about the crap Mack3006 has endured. There is some positive for him in the amount of support he has garnered from most FTE members. At this point I would send the shocks back to Rancho COD with a nice two word note. I would definitely refuse any offer to placate me, including a complete full set of free new replacements. This has gone far beyond simply a defective product, Rancho has shown their cards with regards to Customer Relations. We now all know where they stand on the Customer Support Topic. Again, if it was me having this problem, I would just chalk it up as a learning experience, and go with Bilsteins, Fox or even a couple of JC Penney Super wazoo custom shocks.

Mack3006 has been awarded this special plaque

The following 2 users liked this post by smikesF350:

Quick Reply: My Rancho 9000XL shock blew today. What should I buy???