6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Quieter exhaust after deleting

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 05:40 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quieter exhaust after deleting

My friend has recently de-smogged his truck, but misses how quiet it used to be. He apparently has a smallish muffler now, but is looking for ideas on how to quiet it down more. Has anyone dealt with this before? If so, what would work?

Old 05-22-2021, 07:10 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Since there aren’t any other suggestions I guess I’ll be the first. He could call the EPA.

The following 2 users liked this post by ssunit1:
Old 05-22-2021, 07:26 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
My friend has recently de-smogged his truck, but misses how quiet it used to be. He apparently has a smallish muffler now, but is looking for ideas on how to quiet it down more. Has anyone dealt with this before? If so, what would work?
If he has no muffler at all, I would just match up an inexpensive Summit Turbo Muffler to his exhaust pipe size and see how it sounds. If you have options, go with the longest one he can fine. That will quiet it down a bit and the Summit mufflers flow pretty good too.

EDIT - I guess the Summit Brand Mufflers only come in small inlet sizes, so just enter his inlet / outlet size and configuration into summit and see what pops up.

Mufflers

Old 05-22-2021, 07:57 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm having my truck deleted Friday & am kind of worried about how it will sound towing so I have searched & found several on ebay, 4" inlet & outlet in several different lengths from $55 to $180. My guess is the longer the length the quieter but I really don't know.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:30 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
My truck has the muffler, sounds like a giant vacuum when warming and had a drone. Not too loud but definitely louder than stock. I have a sound bite somewhere in this forum from when i first did it.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:12 AM
power15
5th Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Exhaust

If your friend was worried about noise he should’ve of kept it stock, the point of delete is to get rid of the crap for free flow and do what a diesel is supposed to do, nothing sounds better than a deleted powerstroke!

Old 05-23-2021, 08:24 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Donaldson has a muffler option for the 6.7L.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-23-2021, 08:38 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by cj45lc
I'm having my truck deleted Friday & am kind of worried about how it will sound towing so I have searched & found several on ebay, 4" inlet & outlet in several different lengths from $55 to $180. My guess is the longer the length the quieter but I really don't know.
If you delete your truck expect it to blow black smoke all over your camper. I just don't get why people do this. You will not gain anything from doing a delete.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:00 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by The Bone
If you delete your truck expect it to blow black smoke all over your camper. I just don't get why people do this. You will not gain anything from doing a delete.
I believe you are correct if I put some crazy a$$ tune on it with the delete, that's not what I'm after.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:39 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bone
If you keep the tune set near stock power levels then you don’t blow out the bellows of black soot but you do get the turbo whistle.
As for the advantages - no more regen cycles, no more DEF fluid, better mpg, more power. If you’re in this for the long haul then, I have read, the filter will need to get replaced 100k+ miles for $3k or so.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:01 AM
JoeVH
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Having been down this road a couple of times myself, I have a couple of suggestions. https://www.ftediesel.com/store/pc/v...4&idcategory=7
These resonators work great, especially for reducing drone, which becomes much more noticeable when towing. When my truck underwent surgery, a 4" Flow Pro muffler and piping went on, and I didn't like the increased noise and drone. I installed the 17" resonator as close to the downpipe as feasible, and it made a significant reduction in drone and noise. It sounds very good now. On my '97, when I went from 4" exhaust to 5" I installed the same FTE resonator and it made the 5" quieter than the 4". After significant research, if you want it to be about stock noise level, then their 30" resonator is the way to go, and then you don't even need a muffler.

I will also say that I have a nephew who recently purchased a deleted '18 with an MBRP exhaust system and muffler on it, and it sounds very different from mine. His is very hissy and turbo whiney, which I actually like, while mine is a burbly, deeper gas V-8 sound, and his seems a little quieter inside with almost no drone. I'm really not sure why the two different mufflers sound so differently because they're almost the same size.

BTW, I've been on these forums since about 1998, and I rather miss the independent attitudes of old. Nowadays, if someone mentions doing something to their truck that the almighty government doesn't sanction, immediately a bunch of people start dumping on him for not being a good 'comrade'. I guess that's just part of being woke and considering yourself a subject of the state rather than a citizen.

The following 9 users liked this post by JoeVH:
747Driver, BBslider001, cj45lc, cpro24, Geno C, Gotsmoke12, Motown Fire, Rockmart Ford 250, welbo97 and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-23-2021, 12:05 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ssunit1
If you keep the tune set near stock power levels then you don’t blow out the bellows of black soot but you do get the turbo whistle.
As for the advantages - no more regen cycles, no more DEF fluid, better mpg, more power. If you’re in this for the long haul then, I have read, the filter will need to get replaced 100k+ miles for $3k or so.
This is what I'm shooting for, I'll deal with the noise part if & when I have to

Old 05-23-2021, 12:53 PM
Just Chilling
Laughing Gas
Received 340 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by ssunit1

I have 154k on my filter and still only time it regens is when it hits the 500 miles trigger.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:37 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,947 Likes on 2,811 Posts
Originally Posted by cj45lc
Since you're in CO, I'll remind you that the state passed a "Rolling Coal" bill a few years ago. Cops can cite you for a soot cloud. Emissions testing in CO is just the front range as far as I know, but the law applies statewide.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:18 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Since you're in CO, I'll remind you that the state passed a "Rolling Coal" bill a few years ago. Cops can cite you for a soot cloud. Emissions testing in CO is just the front range as far as I know, but the law applies statewide.
Yes Sir I do know about the "rolling coal" B S & that's definitely not what I'm looking for.
I'm about 275 miles from that zoo front range over there & that's as close as I ever hope to be to, I call it Calif East when I talk to my brother who is in Englewood lol
We are pretty much still in America over here

Quick Reply: Quieter exhaust after deleting