1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What's the best way to clean up 8 spoke wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 10:04 PM
FlyJSH
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
What's the best way to clean up 8 spoke wheels?

Maggie's wheels don't do her justice. I'd like to see them shine again. Are there any good solutions?

Old 04-22-2021, 05:55 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Those wheels are going to require blasting and a repaint.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:06 AM
JSavare
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'd give em a quick budget respray. Maybe take a Scotch-Brite pad or something to the uglier areas, but yes blasting would be more optimal. I've gotten some pretty good results out of Duplicolor paints from Advance Auto, they have a line of wheel paint. My favorite method for masking is to let the air out of the tires, throw a contractor bag over the whole wheel, use a knife to cut a hole in the bag about the size of the wheel, and tuck the bag between the wheel and tire using a flat head screwdriver.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:49 AM
Max Capacity
Cargo Master
Received 563 Likes on 506 Posts
Old 04-22-2021, 01:11 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,432 Posts
The chrome areas will need to be blasted to get the paint to stick. Blasting will roughen it up to give the paint some "tooth".

Those are about the cheapest wheels they make, if you want to buy new ones.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:42 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts

I bought this unit (see link and pic below) about 30 years ago only it was black in colour and was branded Chicago Pneumatic at that time. Still works and it has seen lots of use (almost weekly). Very very handy unit especially with the shoulder strap. What it typically gets used for now is removing rusted nuts or spot blasting stuff for paint touch-ups on equipment. It uses standard size ceramic nozzles (least mine does) so they are easily available.

https://www.nocgarageg.com/index.php...ucts_id=449621

Old 04-23-2021, 08:37 AM
JSavare
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I do have one of these guns from harbor freight too, gets the job done for smaller stuff.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:01 AM
FlyJSH
More Turbo
Thanks for the ideas. I won't be getting rims; I cannot bring myself to spend $400+ to replace parts that are fully functional. The portable blaster kits look like they would be the perfect setup...if I can commit to buying a compressor. (Since the ex wife, commitment has been tough for me) I may wander over to HF and see if they have a deal running. But, I'll probably end up with some wire brushes and rattle cans.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:46 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FlyJSH
Thanks for the ideas. I won't be getting rims; I cannot bring myself to spend $400+ to replace parts that are fully functional. The portable blaster kits look like they would be the perfect setup...if I can commit to buying a compressor. (Since the ex wife, commitment has been tough for me) I may wander over to HF and see if they have a deal running. But, I'll probably end up with some wire brushes and rattle cans.
Bet you can find a really good used compressor for a couple of hundred bucks. You want a minimum of a 20 Gallon unit with a separate motor and compressor, stay away from the integral units you will burn them out quite readily sand basting. You won't get much spray time with the portable compressor, but it will be enough to do the rims. And paint sticks like sh** to a blanket on sand blasted surfaces.
Just avoid having more than 20 starts in an hour on the compressor. As most of the motors used on these units that's about all the start windings can handle without overheating.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-23-2021, 01:30 PM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Received 617 Likes on 538 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyJSH
I have stock steel wheels on my truck. I used wire brushes, sand paper and drill mountable wire wheels to do the prep. Used Hammerite Aluminum color paint. Came out great. I really recommend the wheel and cup type wire wheels that go in a drill. Makes the work go faster and easier.

Once the paint cures give them a light coat of Fluid-Film to protect them. Every 4 or 5 years I give them a good cleaning and a few touch up coats. I'm using black paint on the inside. Do the inside first regardless of paint color.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:46 PM
Max Capacity
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Bet you can find a really good used compressor for a couple of hundred bucks. You want a minimum of a 20 Gallon unit with a separate motor and compressor, stay away from the integral units you will burn them out quite readily sand basting. You won't get much spray time with the portable compressor, but it will be enough to do the rims. And paint sticks like sh** to a blanket on sand blasted surfaces.
Just avoid having more than 20 starts in an hour on the compressor. As most of the motors used on these units that's about all the start windings can handle without overheating.
Sears used to have a nice unit, it's on the loud side. My red Craftsman stand up with the 30 gallon tank is very loud, but has worked well since 2005. I'm looking at a Porter Cable from Tractor Supply to replace it, something that makes less noise. My son has the black Craftsman and I bought a black one for work years ago, much quieter. You stand next to them and talk.
Just looked, I see Craftsman no longer makes big ones.

It's about the CFM at 90PSI. 5.3 seems to be common for the DIY guy. The PORTER-CABLE PXCM201 Portable Belt Drive Air Compressor features a 1.6 HP heavy-duty induction motor with an oil lubricated, belt driven, cast iron, V-twin pump that delivers 155 Max PSI, 6.2 SCFM at 40 PSI and 5.3 SCFM @ 90 PSI

You get what you pay for...but you'll have it for many years.
https://www.google.com/search?q=craf...S_fAysQ4dUDCA4

Last edited by Max Capacity; 04-23-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:20 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Ya at the shop at the acerage I have a 3 cylinder 80 gal that delivers 15 CFM@ 90PSI. But in town in the garage, I have a small 26-gallon unit that delivers 5.3 CFM at 90. Something that size or a 20-gallon unit is adequate for most DIYers at home and will run most all air tools unless you start doing lots of sandblasting or painting.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:13 PM
Max Capacity
Cargo Master
While playing with my compressor Craftsman model 919.167312 has a 6.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI. Rethinking about buying a quieter one now... I see the air intake is a unique plastic thing, not NPT.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:38 PM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Received 617 Likes on 538 Posts
Originally Posted by Max Capacity
While playing with my compressor Craftsman model 919.167312 has a 6.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI. Rethinking about buying a quieter one now... I see the air intake is a unique plastic thing, not NPT.
I have the 5 hp 25 gallon craftsman. Single cylinder. Louder than a freight train. But gets the job done. Out on the farm it's required equipment. First time you air up the wife's tires you'll be forgiven the expense. Especially when the nearest service station with air is 25 miles away.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:34 PM
FlyJSH
More Turbo
In my little one bedroom apartment, a 20+ gallon compressor would fit right into my interior design style of post divorce minimalism, but hefting it up and down a flight of stairs every time I use it make it less than appealing. So, I went with a set if HF wire wheels. Five bucks for the wire wheels, twenty for the paint, and maybe burning out an El Cheapo brand drill, and ....

Before....

After derusting...

And painted.

Quick Reply: What's the best way to clean up 8 spoke wheels?