Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.8 to 4.9 swap electrical nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 05:22 PM
Negative Covfefe
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, I got an engine bay wiring harness from an identical truck, but after hooking it all up the fuel pump does not prime when I turn the key. Everything else works as far as I can tell, including cranking the engine, blinkers, etc, but there is no fuel pump prime when the key is turned.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:47 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,435 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Identical as in same year? If not, then the wiring pinouts are probably different which is why the fuel pump isn’t priming.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:03 PM
Negative Covfefe
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Identical as in same year? If not, then the wiring pinouts are probably different which is why the fuel pump isn’t priming.
I figured it out. Yes, same year. The problem was I hadn't connected the inertial switch on the passenger kick panel. Now the fuel pump primes, engine cranks, but engine does not start. Possibly a ground wire or other connector in the dash that just isn't hooked up yet. We will see.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:28 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 1,028 Likes on 806 Posts
You're getting close. Are you getting spark at the plugs?
If you have fuel, spark and air but the motor doesn't run the timing may just be off a little, has the distributor been moved?

Old 02-03-2021, 10:14 PM
Negative Covfefe
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Conanski
If you have fuel, spark and air but the motor doesn't run the timing may just be off a little, has the distributor been moved?
I'm not sure about spark at the plugs, but I doubt it's related to engine timing. The engine ran great up until I removed it from my one truck and then put it in this one. It's definitely a wiring issue, but I'm not sure where yet. The dashboard isn't in all the way, so I will finish hooking it all up before assuming it's a problem with the harness.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:51 PM
Negative Covfefe
Mountain Pass

Okay, I was not expecting this, but when I pulled the plug from cylinder one and had my wife crank the engine, it did indeed have spark.

When I crank the engine nothing happens aside from that. There is no sputtering or attempting to start or combustion of any kind. Therefore, since I am getting spark and presumably air, it must be the case that I am not getting fuel, correct? The fuel pump primes when I turn the key, so it seems the culprit is that the injectors are not firing?

Old 02-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Negative Covfefe
Mountain Pass
I could really use some help with this from someone... I hate to be a bother, but this is really holding up a lot of important stuff. I don't know what the problem is, and I don't even know what to check next or where to go from here. I might just part this stupid truck out.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:39 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Negative Covfefe
Okay, I was not expecting this, but when I pulled the plug from cylinder one and had my wife crank the engine, it did indeed have spark.

EDIT: Also, I tried using my OBD-I scanner to see if there were any codes, and it didn't seem to be able to interact with the truck at all. I pressed the test button and it didn't display anything, though there were a few clicks in the engine bay.

When I crank the engine nothing happens aside from that. There is no sputtering or attempting to start or combustion of any kind. Therefore, since I am getting spark and presumably air, it must be the case that I am not getting fuel, correct? The fuel pump primes when I turn the key, so it seems the culprit is that the injectors are not firing?
That would seem to be the case.

Is the harness you have now all from one truck? If not what years and models are the sections from?
Do you have a 300 I6 PCM in it now?

Old 02-08-2021, 01:42 PM
Negative Covfefe
Mountain Pass
Was able to pull codes.

552 - this one is new.
558 - this one is new.

Current theory: Engine harness is 1994, engine bay harness is 1996. Did the pinout of either side of c101 change in that time?

Old 02-08-2021, 02:13 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
114 - IAT out of range
116 - ECT out of range
552 - AIRB circuit fault
558 - EVR fault
636 - TOT out of range
654 - Trans selector not in park

Last one could be a problem, the temp sensors can be ignored because the engine/trans is cold and the other smog system codes won't prevent it from starting.

Originally Posted by Negative Covfefe
Current theory: Engine harness is 1994, engine bay harness is 1996. Did the pinout of either side of c101 change in that time?
Ford is notorious for changing connector pinouts. The '96 harness is from a F250 isn't it? I just want to make sure neither of the donors were MAF.
What I'd suggest is taking apart the connector at C101 and check that there are the same number of wires on each side and that they are in the same pin positions. Wire colors won't match so don't worry about that.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:50 PM
Negative Covfefe
Mountain Pass
Ford is notorious for changing connector pinouts. The '96 harness is from a F250 isn't it? I just want to make sure neither of the donors were MAF.
What I'd suggest is taking apart the connector at C101 and check that there are the same number of wires on each side and that they are in the same pin positions. Wire colors won't match so don't worry about that.
Neither of the trucks were MAF.

Well, I didn't have to count the number of pins. Many of them are not in the same place at all, which likely means the ones that are there aren't the same either. I can't find a pinout diagram for that year at all, and I have no interest at all in buying an EVTM for two years of trucks. 4.9L 1996 F-250s with GVWR 8501+ are as rare as can be, so I have very little chance of finding a compatible wiring harness, either.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:51 PM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
If you still have the engine wiring for the V8, could you ohm out the wires going to each sensor/injector to see which pin the go back to on the connector... then move the I6 wire to the corresponding pin found on the V8 wiring?

Old 02-08-2021, 06:53 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
We need somebody with an EVTM for either a '94 or '96 SD truck to post up a pinout for C101, that would make this a lot quicker.
But you will still have to get the multimeter out and trace some wires for the other side.

You can do this from scratch of course, get a pen and paper, multimeter or test light will work too.
Disconnect the battery.
Disconnect the PCM.
Break apart C101 and make a list of the pin locations that have wires, and then find what pins they go to at the PCM connector. The PCM pinout is all standard and never changed so then you know what signals are where so it's just a matter of matching up the other side, and these connectors come apart so the wires can be moved without doing any cutting or splicing.
Chances are most of the wires are in the correct locations and you only have to move a few, that means you're actually a lot closer than you might think.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:15 PM
Negative Covfefe
Mountain Pass
We need somebody with an EVTM for either a '94 or '96 SD truck to post up a pinout for C101, that would make this a lot quicker.
But you will still have to get the multimeter out and trace some wires for the other side.

You can do this from scratch of course, get a pen and paper, multimeter or test light will work too.
Disconnect the battery.
Disconnect the PCM.
Break apart C101 and make a list of the pin locations that have wires, and then find what pins they go to at the PCM connector. The PCM pinout is all standard and never changed so then you know what signals are where so it's just a matter of matching up the other side, and these connectors come apart so the wires can be moved without doing any cutting or splicing.
Chances are most of the wires are in the correct locations and you only have to move a few, that means you're actually a lot closer than you might think.
That's a good idea, and not that complicated overall. In the absence of EVTMs it could still work.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:38 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,194 Likes on 943 Posts
1994 F Series C101 Diagram Gas Engine

1996 F Series C101 Diagram Gas Engine

Quick Reply: 5.8 to 4.9 swap electrical nightmare