Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 Swap and PiMPx install

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 06:13 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 779 Likes on 556 Posts
I started out with 2 under the vent, Then added a third & hung them where they are now.

Now I've got a sat receiver & fan control occupying the cubby hole real-estate

Was going to try & fab a panel, but maybe take the 2 hole mount back under the vent for now if I finagle it.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:19 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...xoCcEUQAvD_BwE
This is the AFR gauge I use in all of my trucks. I had some gauges from Innovate Motorsports when I first put the PimpX in my 89, and had all kinds of issues that I thought were fuel system related. Constant lean conditions, then it would read full rich without making any changes, then the gauge would claim the sensor was bad. Warrantied out 2 of these before giving up on them. Swapped to this style AEM, and haven't looked back. Things are absolutely flawless.

If you buy an AFR gauge that has an integrated controller, like the AEM I linked to, you do NOT need to buy the Spartan 2 unit. The gauge does all the work for you.

I have my AFR gauge and an Oil pressure gauge on the top of my dash in my 89, on the right side, on the slope. Very similar mount to the first one scndsin showed. Not in the way at all, but easy to glance at. On my '94, I made my own gauge cluster for water temp, tach, speedo, and oil pressure, and also removed the HVAC controls and am using that space for fuel level and AFR gauges, planning to add a volt gauge to this same area as well.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:36 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts
What does retaining or deleting the EGR have to do with long tube vs shorty headers? If you wanted to delete the EGR there are SD EGR delete procedures to trick the computer into thinking it is still there. I have Comp 35-349-8 camshaft with 1.7 Scorpion rocker arms and it was down on power compared to the stock setup so I went mass air. I wonder how the OEM 351 computer would have dealt with the roller cam and 1.7 rocker arms compared to the PIMPx computer.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:57 AM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
What does retaining or deleting the EGR have to do with long tube vs shorty headers? If you wanted to delete the EGR there are SD EGR delete procedures to trick the computer into thinking it is still there.
Since I was initially planning to run the stock computer I was going to retain EGR, since it seemed to help with fuel mileage when I was running the 4.9L (I deleted it mileage went down...added it back mileage went back up). I couldn't find any long tubes that had the provision to attach the EGR tube (except for cheap China headers with bad fitment reviews)... So I decided to go with JBA shorty stainless headers.

Later I learned about the PiMPx ECU and decided to go that route. PiMPx doesn't support any of the factory smog equipment, including EGR. With PiMPx you can get as custom as you want to, and I have seen on their forums where some people have done some custom outputs to trigger the EGR valve, but I'm not interested in that so I just made an EGR delete plate to cap it off and zip-tied the extra wiring out of sight.

Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
I wonder how the OEM 351 computer would have dealt with the roller cam and 1.7 rocker arms compared to the PIMPx computer.
If I'm not mistaken Scndsin ran the Comp Cam you referenced with 1.7 Roller Rockers on the Ford SD ECU for a while and said it ran great. He later did a Mass Air swap, but I don't think it was due to issues with his previous setup.
I know that's not exactly what you asked, but I feel certain that if the stock SD ECU can run a higher lift cam with 1.7 Roller Rockers it would have no problem running the stock roller cam with 1.7 Roller Rockers.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:22 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Yes, the 512 & 1.7 Cobra rockers. No problems at all.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:26 PM
sevensecondsuv
Tuned
Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
I'll offer another plug for the AEM widebands. I'm going on 4 years of daily driving with the one in my turbo ranger with flawless performance. I had used the innovate ones in the past, nothing but issues. I think I read somewhere the innovate system has a design flaw where the controller doesn't control the heating element in the sensor and it burns itself up.

I've never tried the spartan ones Stinger sells so I can't offer an opinion on those. I would trust his recommendation though.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:28 PM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
For what it's worth the Spartan 2 is a stand alone product from www.14point7.com . Stinger just offers it as an option with PiMPx .
So, if your AEM wideband does burn itself up you could always replace it with a Spartan, since they both send output as 0v-5v .

https://www.14point7.com/products/sp...a-controller-2

Old 01-20-2021, 09:00 AM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
I thought I would update and let everyone know that a new IAC valve solved my cold start problem.

Also, it's worth noting that the base tune from Stinger comes with the frequency for the IAC set to 99Hz, which seems to work fine, but causes the IAC to buzz.
I read somewhere that the Ford ECU pulses the IAC at 300Hz. Tunerstudio didn't have an option for 300Hz exactly, but it had a value that was very close (306Hz if memory serves me right). When I changed to that value the buzzing stopped and the IAC seems to work as desired.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:25 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks a lot for your posts. Should be able financially to pull the trigger on one soon & your first hand experience is priceless.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:35 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikulh
I thought I would update and let everyone know that a new IAC valve solved my cold start problem.

Also, it's worth noting that the base tune from Stinger comes with the frequency for the IAC set to 99Hz, which seems to work fine, but causes the IAC to buzz.
I read somewhere that the Ford ECU pulses the IAC at 300Hz. Tunerstudio didn't have an option for 300Hz exactly, but it had a value that was very close (306Hz if memory serves me right). When I changed to that value the buzzing stopped and the IAC seems to work as desired.
Interesting observation. The IAC on my brother's truck buzzes as well, I guess I haven't noticed if mine does. It doesn't bother any of us, but I'll see if that works as a fix.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:42 AM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Thanks a lot for your posts. Should be able financially to pull the trigger on one soon & your first hand experience is priceless.
You're very welcome. While I'm very pleased with my PiMPx ECU, if I were you I'd get my AFR gauge working first and see where your AFR is. If your MAF swap is running well and the AFR is ok I'm not sure if you'll see a huge benefit unless you're planning on more future mods.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:18 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Yes, that's the plan. I'm looking for fueling extension, speed limiter defeat, shift points, & EGR delete.

Then I'll look at bigger performance gains.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:10 PM
EllieMae94
Elder User
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What problem were you having during cold starts? I have an issue with mine and suspect the IAC may have incorrect settings in Tuner Studio.

If possible, would you be able to send a copy of your current tune. We have pretty similar setups and would like to compare mine with yours. I’m curious how your fuel VE table vs. mine and what your AFR table is too.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:41 PM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
...At this point the only issue I have is with cold starts when it's below about 40 degrees outside. I'm pretty sure I have a bad IAC (one of the few items I didn't replace on this engine when building it). I can see that ECU is commanding the IAC valve to open up to 70%, but the engine never never idles up... so the problem doesn't appear to be the fault of the ECU. ...
Yes. I will be happy to share my tune file. I'll try to remember to grab a copy of it tonight.
I haven't changed the AFR table, so they're probably the same if you're still using the AFR table from the base tune.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:29 PM
EllieMae94
Elder User
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks, sounds like your problem is very similar to mine in regards to under 40 degrees outside. I’ll redirect my question to the Stinger board as to not further clutter your thread.

Looking forward to your tune. It’ll probably give me clues as to what is incorrect with mine.

Quick Reply: V8 Swap and PiMPx install