Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2020 F-150 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 01:06 AM
oldbleu
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a set of new Ford 20" alloy wheels and tires sitting in my daughter's garage. I have to go down to SoCal and pick them up.

I may opt to have them done up in black. I will wait and see how they look on the truck. I am also looking for the best method to get the rear of the truck out of the clouds. I don't think a simple shackle extension will bring it down far enough. Wheel liners are a good suggestion.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:55 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Unfortunately they don't make a TrueTrac for the super 8.8
Some guys have modified the stock (clutch style) LS from a newer Mustang to work in an F150, but it's not plug and play. One thing they had to do was machine down the c-clips and I'm not sure what else they had to do. I don't even own a super 8.8

Old 01-02-2021, 07:52 AM
JKBrad
Received 814 Likes on 598 Posts
Try those wheels on your truck before painting them, then decide. You might like them as is.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:27 AM
chiefdave
Senior User
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbleu
I have a set of new Ford 20" alloy wheels and tires sitting in my daughter's garage. I have to go down to SoCal and pick them up.

I may opt to have them done up in black. I will wait and see how they look on the truck. I am also looking for the best method to get the rear of the truck out of the clouds. I don't think a simple shackle extension will bring it down far enough. Wheel liners are a good suggestion.
Here is the 18" version of the same wheel on an Oxford White truck for comparison, the truck came with the chrome PVD wheels which is possibly the ugliest option.

Rear wheel well liners help the looks also.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:43 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Very nice setup.
TJ

Old 01-02-2021, 04:44 PM
oldbleu
More Turbo
Originally Posted by chiefdave
Here is the 18" version of the same wheel on an Oxford White truck for comparison, the truck came with the chrome PVD wheels which is possibly the ugliest option.

Rear wheel well liners help the looks also.
The truck looks great! I just ordered a set of OEM wheel liners (FL3Z-9927886-D).

Old 01-02-2021, 04:49 PM
oldbleu
More Turbo
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Unfortunately they don't make a TrueTrac for the super 8.8
Some guys have modified the stock (clutch style) LS from a newer Mustang to work in an F150, but it's not plug and play. One thing they had to do was machine down the c-clips and I'm not sure what else they had to do. I don't even own a super 8.8
Not what I wanted to hear, but good information just the same. Thanks! I will have to continue to develop other options.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:03 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 221 Likes on 184 Posts
Not what I wanted to hear, but good information just the same. Thanks! I will have to continue to develop other options.
You know the traction control that comes with the truck does a pretty good job. I have used the e-locker on ours occasionally, but I find just switching to 4WD works better most of the time.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:33 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Yukon sells a clutch style limited slip for the super 8.8. From what I've read it's the stock Mustang LS modified to work in the F150. It's pricey compared to a just buying a stock Mustang LS from Ford and having a machine shop modify it.
I prefer clutchless limited slips but this is the only option for the super 8.8
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/YC...ferential.html

Old 01-03-2021, 08:48 AM
chiefdave
Senior User
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Check with Quick Performance in Ames, Iowa. All they do is rearends and offer a Posi type unit for the 8.8. I've used them in the past for 9" Fords.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:29 PM
oldbleu
More Turbo
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Yukon sells a clutch style limited slip for the super 8.8. From what I've read it's the stock Mustang LS modified to work in the F150. It's pricey compared to a just buying a stock Mustang LS from Ford and having a machine shop modify it.
I prefer clutchless limited slips but this is the only option for the super 8.8
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/YC...ferential.html
Got it, thanks! It would appear that my options are getting fewer by the minute.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:30 PM
oldbleu
More Turbo
Originally Posted by chiefdave
Check with Quick Performance in Ames, Iowa. All they do is rearends and offer a Posi type unit for the 8.8. I've used them in the past for 9" Fords.
I sent them an email and will follow up next week. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2021, 09:39 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Good looking truck. I have the same truck with the XL and chrome package. Just waiting to find a take off set these 20" wheels and tires.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:45 PM
oldbleu
More Turbo
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Needs some rear wheel well liners. I really like these plain. I wonder what the wheels would look like with meatier tires, painted black with the hubcaps wrapped with chrome or brushed look vinyl.
The wheel well liners is a good idea. I got around to installing them earlier today. They went in without incident and they look great.

While I was at it, I did a test fit of the 20" Ford alloy wheel.

The rear wheel fits in without any problems. I haven't tried the front as of yet. In the above picture, the rear of the truck is still up on jack stands. I have a set of the Ford lowering shackles that I will try to install while I have the truck up in the air.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:36 PM
JKBrad
Received 814 Likes on 598 Posts
All 4 will fit just fine. Lookin’ good so far

Quick Reply: 2020 F-150 Upgrades