2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Radio without seatbelt buckled?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 07:55 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Radio without seatbelt buckled?

Hey guys and gals,

I was wondering if there is a way to be able to play the radio, or not have it muted, with the seatbelt unbuckled.

I have a pretty long driveway with a gate at the end, I LOVE my tunes, when hooking up a trailer or filling it with fuel, I love cranking the tunes. It is a pain to buckle and unbuckle every time I drive across the yard just to hear music.

Ive googled it, and searched the threads in here, and not sure I have found a clear answer to this or not. Its quite possible I didnt search the correct thing though. I also didnt find anything in the owners manual. (maybe I missed something?)

Can anyone fill me in on what I need to do, to get this done? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:03 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,669 Likes on 1,362 Posts
Try looking in the "My Key" menu. Only one of your keys allows changes.

When we first got our F150 I set the speed limiter to 80MPH. Drove the little woman nuts. Not sure about the radio/seatbelt thing and I'm too lazy to go out and fiddle with mine.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:40 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by 85e150
Try looking in the "My Key" menu. Only one of your keys allows changes.

When we first got our F150 I set the speed limiter to 80MPH. Drove the little woman nuts. Not sure about the radio/seatbelt thing and I'm too lazy to go out and fiddle with mine.
Thanks for the reply, when I go into the my key settings, the only option in there is to see the mykey status. Then it shows that it has 1 mykey admin key, and maybe the mileage? and thats about it.

I bought the truck used, and it only came with one key fob.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:43 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,669 Likes on 1,362 Posts
Bummer. You need the admin key. Since you have a key, it may not be as bad to get one, but your Ford Dealer will be happy to tell you....

Old 12-26-2020, 08:44 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by 85e150
Bummer. You need the admin key. Since you have a key, it may not be as bad to get one, but your Ford Dealer will be happy to tell you....
Ah that sucks, thanks for the advice, I didnt realize that a guy needed an admin key. Ill look into that and see what the scoop is. Thank you.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:26 AM
ejb69
More Turbo
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
My radio plays just fine without having a seatbelt on. I only wear my seatbelt for longer trips. I went into settings and shut a lot of nanny stuff off right at the dealership. The gal that went though the truck with me wouldn’t change the settings ,but did talk me though setting up my truck the way I wanted it. She said it was my truck and I could do what I wanted with it. But as an employee of dealership she couldn’t turn somethings off for liability reasons. Funny how she set my phone up to work with the truck but wouldn’t shut the seatbelt reminder off.

I’m sure it’s in the trucks settings,but I’m not sure just where.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:02 AM
shawnee1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 437 Likes on 263 Posts
What you are experiencing is a MyKey standard feature. The audio is muted if the seatbelts are not buckled. The feature cannot be turned off if using a MyKey. Some MyKey features can be enabled or disabled in settings but not standard features. You will need to get a new key fob for your truck. By default it will be an admin key. With the admin key you can remove the MyKey status from the other fob making it a second admin key.
Suggest you read through the MyKey section of the OM for more information.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:40 AM
texrun40
Mountain Pass
Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts
Wait, what? Are you saying you want to play your radio while parked and loading up your trailer, etc.? Or is this having the radio playing while driving with no seat belt on? Either way, this is interesting to me as I have a bone stock ‘19 250 CCSB 6.7 King Ranch and I park and play the radio while working outside at the ranch all the time. I haven’t changed a single thing in settings. Is this new to ‘20 & ‘21 trucks?

If I’m checking fence lines in the truck (which is rare as we usually take the UTV), I do have those little clips/bottle openers to put in the seat belt to keep the chime from going off, but I only put those in on those specific occasions. Sounds like that may be similar to what you’re experiencing (short drive with frequent in/out). You can also just buckle the seat belt behind you, but the little clips I got were really cheap (two for $9 or something like that) and are super handy when we noddle around the ranch in the truck.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:32 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by texrun40
Wait, what? Are you saying you want to play your radio while parked and loading up your trailer, etc.? Or is this having the radio playing while driving with no seat belt on? Either way, this is interesting to me as I have a bone stock ‘19 250 CCSB 6.7 King Ranch and I park and play the radio while working outside at the ranch all the time. I haven’t changed a single thing in settings. Is this new to ‘20 & ‘21 trucks?

If I’m checking fence lines in the truck (which is rare as we usually take the UTV), I do have those little clips/bottle openers to put in the seat belt to keep the chime from going off, but I only put those in on those specific occasions. Sounds like that may be similar to what you’re experiencing (short drive with frequent in/out). You can also just buckle the seat belt behind you, but the little clips I got were really cheap (two for $9 or something like that) and are super handy when we noddle around the ranch in the truck.
Yeah i may end up getting one of those clips, probably be a lot cheaper than an admin key made up, which I havent needed yet with this being the exception!

And yes, my radio mutes if you drive it without the seatbelt on. I have no issue with this for the most part, except with driving to and from the gate, or around in the yard or fields or whatever.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:17 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The instructions for disabling the seat belt chime are in your owner’s manual. Unfortunately, the procedure won’t work with a MyKey, only an admin key. Once you get a new fob, you’ll be able to disable the seat belt chime without resorting to the clips!

Note: If you are using MyKey, you cannot disable the Belt-Minder. Also, if the Belt-Minder has been previously disabled, it will be re-enabled during the use of MyKey. See MyKey(page 63).
Read Steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the programming procedure.
Before following the procedure, make sure that:
• The parking brake is set.
• The transmission is in park (P).
• The ignition is off.
• All vehicle doors are closed.
• The driver seatbelt is unbuckled.
1. Switch the ignition on. Do not start the engine.
2. Wait until the seatbelt warning light turns off (about one minute). You must complete Step 3 within 30 seconds after the seatbelt warning light turns off.
3. Buckle then unbuckle the seatbelt three times at a moderate speed, ending with the seatbelt in the unbuckled state. After Step 3, the seatbelt warning light turns on.
4. While the seatbelt warning light is on, buckle then unbuckle the seatbelt. After Step 4, the seatbelt warning light flashes for confirmation.
• This will switch the feature off if it is currently on.
• This will switch the feature on if it is currently off.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:58 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,354 Posts
I'd go under the seat, take the wires going to the seatbelt latch, and wire them together to make your truck think the seatbelt is latched all the time.

I gotta do this to my new car once it gets a little warmer outside. Over 10mph and it will start dinging at me.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:07 AM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
I disable the annoying seatbelt reminder as per PentaPop on every vehicle I own & buy.

A farmer or a backwoods fellar don’t need no seatbelt

Old 12-28-2020, 08:39 AM
1olddogtwo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 477 Likes on 291 Posts
We set most of our fleet up this way to promote safety. Speed limit is set at 80 max and no radio without a seat belt.

But I swear I think this is only active when you are drive mode.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:07 AM
grumblin
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
All the above aside, why would you NOT go get an Admin key for your truck - or seek it out from the party you bought the used truck from. Having an admin key is essential.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:47 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by grumblin
All the above aside, why would you NOT go get an Admin key for your truck - or seek it out from the party you bought the used truck from. Having an admin key is essential.
I bought the truck from a Chevy dealership, they don't have a clue about any additional keys, won't release the previous owners info.

So far I've had the truck for 6? Months or so and never had a need (or even knee about) for an admin key.

What's so essential about it? I gotta make sure it's worth spending the cash on before I would even think of getting own if I don't really need it!

Quick Reply: Radio without seatbelt buckled?