2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

partially submerged the f150 in salt water and need help getting it running again

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 12:23 AM
Wild Wendi
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
partially submerged the f150 in salt water and need help getting it running again

I have been troubleshooting this truck since the untimely event on last Saturday 11/29. We were supposed to have a nice relaxing trip fishing in the OBX... well that changed fast. Let me give a run-down of events. A little before sunrise while driving down NC-12 two deer jumped in front of the truck and then split in opposite directions. We collected one of them and swerved of the road and came to rest in the sound side channel, yep partially submerged in salt water! The truck was still running and we kept it that way until the first tow tried to free us when we were then unable to keep it running. We had to call out a big truck wrecker to pull us out who wasn't allowed to retrieve us until a state trooper arived, roughly three hours after it happened. Once out and back at the cottage we started trying to assess the damage.
Checked fluids, oil and tranny: both were good no water
removedremoved sand from exhaust pipe
removed interior door jam covers along floor to reveal all electrical wires
dried them all out
checked all fuses and replaced the few that were blown
After doing all this we tried to start the truck,
all dash lights worked normal but we had a no crank, no start
called local parts house and bought new starter, 3 cans wd-40, and a new relay
replaced starter no change
tried jumping the solenoid, starter spins still no crank no start
bought new battery and replaced it still nothing
pouring rain Sunday night and most of Monday
by Monday we decided to rent a car, go home to get the dumptruck and trailer and tow it home. We finally made it home Tuesday afternoon. Once home and in the shop we pulled out all the seats and carpet cleaned everything and double checked all electrical wires. We dropped the spare tire and replaced the fuel pump driver module and fuse 34 in the passenger fuse box. it was blown but due to some backfeed still tested good with a test light.
Bingo truck was up and running first time. Thought we had her licked.... while taking a test drive we stopped to fill the tank. It was obvious that we had more to fix because the pump kept shutting off even though it wasn't full. Drove home parked it and when we came back out it won't start again, just spins over. This leads us to the evap system. so far there are 2 lines knocked loose under the truck and we picked up a purge valve tonight just in case. Is there something I'm missing that would solve this! I feel sure I left something out but will provide any info needed. Its an 04 f150 4.6l 4x4 super cab. Also the theft light was blinking with the ignition on and would stay on solid when attempting to start and now it goes of while spinning the truck over. Any advice would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

Old 12-10-2020, 08:01 AM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 168 Likes on 146 Posts
I would check my fpdm module on rear axle. Also the condition of the crank sensor on the bottom of the engine ,plug etc .Was the bottom of the engine submerged ,the lead to the crank sensor could be wet or damaged. Test for grounds and continuity to pcm plug. Clean connector to crank sensor . You may need to use torque pro to see whats going on . Fuel pressure etc . You also have some plugs under drivers side that may be full of dirt and water . If she cranks can you shoot some starting fluid in it to see if its lack of fuel . Don't get it on maf . You need to get that engine compartment good and hot to dry it out if you can get it to run .

Old 12-10-2020, 09:37 AM
alloro
Received 4,248 Likes on 2,478 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild Wendi
I have been troubleshooting this truck since the untimely event on last Saturday 11/29.
It could still be wet and need drying out. Some electronic modules are closed fairly tight but still allow water in yet can take weeks to dry out in warm weather.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:38 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by redfishtd
I would check my fpdm module on rear axle.
He said he replaced it.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:03 PM
Wild Wendi
Cross-Country
We have kept the Woodstove going 24/7 with the truck in the shop and all doors open. The engine was not submerged. The truck was kinda sitting with the left front barely touching land, and the right rear was submerged. The fuel tank was only partially under, the lines and pump were above the water ,however the charcoal canister was completely under. I have replaced the fpdm and it fired right up. We drove it for about 2 hrs., stopped to fill up and couldn't get it to take any gas,( pump kept kicking off). Parked it for about an hour and when I got back in it would spin over but wouldn't crank. Replaced the check valve on the firewall, still no crank.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:37 PM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah i saw that I missed fpdm replaced . . I'm not sure what spinning here means . I assumed the fan and crank was spinning ?I call that cranking . But maybe he means starter spinning but not moving motor ?I caught that he has flooded charcoal canister maybe the vent plugged ,hoses on evap tore loose possible vacuum leak . Maybe water in vac lines . I would be flushing out fuel system to filter see if any water there .
Since he can't get fuel to go in it the vent and charcoal is blocked . The vent solenoid is also in question , could be mud and water . . Vent solenoid is only closed for a vac test of system during an evac test . . Hard to pump fuel out if vent not working I would guess , air must go in when fuel leaves . Seems like pulling line off fuel filter on engine side with key on afterwards will pump some stuff out . Me I would be ready with a new filter after getting vent system going. Time for a junk yard charcoal cannister . . I would drop the tank and clean it out . I would be thinking about pulling fuel rails to get water out of there and dry injectors .

Old 12-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Wild Wendi
Cross-Country
Amazingly enough there was no water in the canister itself. But there was water in the small rectangular box that mounts near it. we are picking up a canister and all the lines and components that connect to it Tonight. Already have a new filter waiting to go on it. It ran great for the 2hrs we drove it after replacing the fpdm, only issue was refueling but I plan on dropping the tank and emptying it just to be sure. Will update after all that is completed.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:21 PM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
I wonder if the box is the vent solenoid , I would not know as I have only studied it no hands on . Just trying to be ready if mine acts up . Some guys have redone their carbon cannister -not me . This area has come up as a failure to be able to fuel up due to back pressure from no vent . Here in fl the mud dobbers fill every hole up .
Pulling the fuel rails is not hard ,if water got in there I would do a you tube type cleaning of injectors . And if you are in cold country that water may freeze ..

Old 12-10-2020, 09:56 PM
Wild Wendi
Cross-Country
The small box isn't the solenoid, it seems to be more like a catch can, not 100% sure on its actual purpose. The solenoid is to the right of that box if you are standing at the back of the truck with the bed off. Here's a few pics . This truck already had alot of rust previously, so the salt water only added fuel to the 🔥! I'm in the middle of NC and our state is freezing one day and hot the next, we have had a few nights below freezing and for that reason we have kept it in the shop with the woodstove going and even on our coldest night so far I was wearing a tee shirt while working on it and was still hot. Shop is well insulated so I feel sure that has benefited us.

In this pic you can see why I replaced the fpdm!

You can see part of the canister and the lines in this one.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:05 AM
alloro
I have replaced the fpdm and it fired right up. We drove it for about 2 hrs., stopped to fill up and couldn't get it to take any gas,( pump kept kicking off).
Have you tried shooting carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake to see if it will fire? This will confirm or eliminate a fuel issue.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:13 AM
Wild Wendi
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by alloro
Have you tried shooting carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake to see if it will fire? This will confirm or eliminate a fuel issue.
I have not. I will try this once I get the replacement canister , solenoid, and lines on it if it still won't start.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:53 AM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
Very hard to see , Its dark and dirty under there normally ,its the kind of thing you learn by hands on . We have had people with blocked vent solenoid and can't fill tank . This is very interesting to all of us as it is difficult to get to and you just don't see them until you are fixing it. Lots of guys get flooded so this could be helpful to mudders and hurricane damage stuff . I had to run thru 2,5 foot of water at times during hurricane . We took it to spray car wash and soaped/rinsed until we thought we had done enough to truck to get salt off . Some car wash's here gear up to do it for you .
Wow that fpdm fell apart . One thing I would worry about is liquid filling cyl and it could hydro lock ,if water in fuel its not going to ignite and could cause injectors to leak possibly filling cyl . Just a thought . Maybe some other guys who have recovered from flood will have some good ideas .

Old 12-11-2020, 04:27 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,339 Likes on 1,133 Posts
A little before sunrise while driving down NC-12 two deer jumped in front of the truck and then split in opposite directions. We collected one of them and swerved of the road and came to rest in the sound side channel, yep partially submerged in salt water! The truck was still running
Wow ... "wild ride"! I don't recall 12 being close enough to the water that you'd run out into it by accident, and doing so after collecting a deer too.

Been reading, hope the canister gets you up & going again.

I was gonna suggest looking at connections alongside the frame under the cab.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:23 PM
Wild Wendi
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by tbear853
Wow ... "wild ride"! I don't recall 12 being close enough to the water that you'd run out into it by accident, and doing so after collecting a deer too.

Been reading, hope the canister gets you up & going again.

I was gonna suggest looking at connections alongside the frame under the cab.
It was a wild ride to say the least.... one I definitely don't ever want to be on again! We we in Frisco right above the bait and tackle shop. We landed in one of the canals that comes from the sound and is piped under the road. I will attach a few pics.
We are currently removing the bed, ( tired of hitting my head and crawled out from under it . As soon as the bed us off we are going to drain the tank and make sure it doesn't have water in it. Then we will change the filter and start putting her back together. I will post pics so everyone can use them as a reference if the need arises.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:23 AM
Wild Wendi
Cross-Country
UPDATE: drained the tank to be on the safe side , there was no water in it. installed the replacement canister W/ all components, cleaned all electrical connections with electrical cleaner. It will crank but still no start. no codes to be read not even pending codes. Don't think it would be the crank sensor because my rpms come up when trying to crank it.
instead of spraying starter fluid in it we use a squirt bottle with gas in it. It attempted to start but didn't get it to. Below are some pics of the charcoal canister and components and the where it hooks up to the fuel tank in case someone else has trouble with theirs!
I'm ready for some good ideas, so send um my way! Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: partially submerged the f150 in salt water and need help getting it running again