2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Wireless charging not working on iPhone 12

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 08:19 PM
jamma007
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@vitacura iPhone 12?

Old 11-30-2020, 08:24 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by pmichael
I just got a 12 Pro max and a 2020 F250 lariat, in the same week. How are you charging the 12? With a cable, if so where are you hooking it to? Details please.

I just made a trip back and forth to my hunt club (100 miles) and used the same setup I did in my 2017 F250. Ran a charging cord with a cigarette lighter end from inside the center console to my phone sitting in one of the holders in the console. Worked great, iPhone was connected to truck via Bluetooth, played music from my phone through audio in the truck, took calls and used Ways on my phone while traveling.
Hmmmmmmm......Are you saying that your 2020 SD Lariat doesn’t have a USB port to connect your phone to so you can charge it?

If so, that’s the first I’ve ever heard of that.

I learned something new today.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:52 PM
vitacura
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jamma007
@vitacura iPhone 12?
iPhone 12 Pro and have it in a silicone MagSafe case just like OP.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:13 PM
Ricktator
Senior User
My phone won't charge on the wireless pad if I'm using the phone over Bluetooth to the truck. Music or calls stops the charging intermittently.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:06 AM
gonzanc
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vitacura
Tried it out today, had the phone on the pad twice, once in each direction and it charged with no problems. Sorry to hear many are having problems though..
Curious about your set up...which phone, case or no case? The problem is that after about a minute in a certain orientation, it stops/starts charging and you get the message on the screen of the truck that says the phone is misaligned or there is something between the charging pad and the phone. Either way, if it's positioned like i mentioned up above, I no longer have the issues, but it's still frustrating

Old 12-01-2020, 11:30 AM
vitacura
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gonzanc
Curious about your set up...which phone, case or no case? The problem is that after about a minute in a certain orientation, it stops/starts charging and you get the message on the screen of the truck that says the phone is misaligned or there is something between the charging pad and the phone. Either way, if it's positioned like i mentioned up above, I no longer have the issues, but it's still frustrating
I was giving an update to post #3. I only had it on for a minute or so.

Originally Posted by vitacura
Hmm.. I just upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro and have it in a silicone MagSafe case as well. I haven't tried the wireless charging in the truck yet, will do so tomorrow as I'm curious now.
I took a longer trip today and after a couple of minutes, I sure did get that same pop up. I took it out of the case after the first time and the pop up came back so it’s not the case. Bummer.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:57 PM
SomethingRandom
Tuned
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jamma007
Hey gonzanc.

This appears to be a widespread issue. while not a truck, I have a 2019 Ford Transit Connect, and I am having the same issue with the wireless charging pad. After some google-Fu, it appears to be happening to multiple models of Ford Vehicles specifically with the iPhone 12. Other brands of wireless chargers have had to do firmware updates, so I imagine that Ford needs one as well. From the research I have done, BLADE is spot on with his guess.
It might not be possible for Ford to update what little firmware there needs to be on the wireless charger. This is likely going to be fixed by Apple or no one. If Fords charger is standards compliant then Apple are the **** birds here.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:42 AM
grumblin
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SomethingRandom
It might not be possible for Ford to update what little firmware there needs to be on the wireless charger. This is likely going to be fixed by Apple or no one. If Fords charger is standards compliant then Apple are the **** birds here.
iPhone 12 is having issues with a number of Qi chargers (Ford charging pad is one of them). This isn't a Ford problem. It's an Apple problem. It's also a hardward design (not software) that likely will NOT get fixed. It's due to the locations of the magnets in the iPhone body (for magsafe accessories) and how it interferes with the electric charging field.. I wouldn't hold my breath - I'd breathe and start using the USB cord.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:59 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
That's what you guys get for buying phones from a commie company. You should get with the other 86% of the world and use Android.

Otherwise I guess another option would be to mount a charging pad separately elsewhere in the truck and connect it to a USB port permanently. Some guys have done that.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:10 AM
gonzanc
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WXboy
That's what you guys get for buying phones from a commie company. You should get with the other 86% of the world and use Android.

Otherwise I guess another option would be to mount a charging pad separately elsewhere in the truck and connect it to a USB port permanently. Some guys have done that.
Guess I'm a fan boy. I immediately remove people from group chats that are green boxes.

On a more serious note, I would mount a charging pad if there was one that went in the slot in front of the cup holders and looked good. Know of any?

Old 12-02-2020, 06:02 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by WXboy

Now that’s a bit extreme.

Apple fan here.

Just like Steve Jobs said.......Think Different.

Don’t get to high on your Android horse my friend because Android Auto and the Android OS is not the End All Be All product that you think it is.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:04 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by gonzanc
Guess I'm a fan boy. I immediately remove people from group chats that are green boxes.

On a more serious note, I would mount a charging pad if there was one that went in the slot in front of the cup holders and looked good. Know of any?
Lol....... I do the same thing when I see those green boxes.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:29 PM
CincyPSD
Junior User
Add me to the group with this same issue. Brand new 2020 F450. New iPhone 12 Pro Max with MagSafe case. Got the same pop up. Disappointed to see this. I have to imagine Ford or Apple can come up with a fix to allow whatever threshold is being broken to allow it to continue.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:43 PM
Ricktator
Senior User
I dont think this is a ford problem. Mine will stop charging on any wireless charger if I'm using bluetooth or using the phone for nav.

Old 12-19-2020, 05:17 AM
NC Spuds
Cross-Country
I’m also getting these errors on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I’ll try orienting the phone in a different direction, as mentioned above, to see if it makes a difference.

Disappointed that this is happening because the last 6 months have been no issues with the iPhone 11 Pro Max on the charger.

Quick Reply: Wireless charging not working on iPhone 12