engine hoists....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 11:39 PM
graphicjunkie
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
engine hoists....

Just curious...been looking on this one for a while, and can't find anything remotely indicative...
I have a harbor freight 1 ton hoist. Have had it for years and it's done it's job fairly well.
Looking at the 2 ton, they look literally identical.

My thoughts are that they are the same chassis, and the 2 ton has a bigger ram. So I was thinking of upgrading the ram to the 8 ton. Mine doesn't say, or if it did...it's long gone... But I'm guessing the 1 ton hoist has their 3 ton ram, and the 2 ton hoist has the 8 ton.

So was wondering if anyone knows for sure if I'm on the money, or completely off my rocker.
Not looking to do any engine swap, but at some point possibly pulling the engine and going through it.

Why not just buy the heavier hoist? Because then I have to deal with trying to sell it, or hauling it off for scrap. If this really can be done, then I just swap the rams...and I only have to worry about discarding the old ram.

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Lrrr-RulerOfOmicronP
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
I believe the benefit of the 2 ton is it has a longer reach. When you extend the boom it is down rated of course.

I helped a friend pull a motor on a fox body mustang and the smaller engine hoist could not reach without removing the front bumper.