Sponsored by: DP Tuner

WHITE SMOKE hot idle and Oil Leak on top

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 07:09 AM
RPMRon
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
WHITE SMOKE hot idle and Oil Leak on top

Hi guys, I have a 2000 Excursion 7.3 2WD Auto Trans. Fairly stock with some minor upgrades. I very rarely use Bio diesel, but I used 2 tanks in a row (b20) and shortly after the second tank for the first time ever I have a problem with white smoke at hot idle. Not always, but quite often. I have run most of the bio diesel out and refilled with regular Diesel #2 and it still is smoking. It only smokes at idle in gear when hot...if I place it in neutral or raise the RPM a little it stops smoking. I have a major oil leak at the top of the engine. Appears to be the turbo pedestal oil seals ??? Engine has 325k miles on it. Recently I replaced the o rings on the HPOP fittings (one was leaking). As far as I know the turbo has never been removed. QUESTION: If the pedestal seals are leaking oil externally, can this also be related to the white smoke at hot idle?? I have no loss of power...Starts perfectly. I still have the original injectors, but replaced the injector o rings a few years ago and also installed an Adrenaline HPOP. I have just purchased from Diesel O Rings a turbo pedestal with back pressure delete (Rotomaster) and new high quality o-rings and will probably install it tomorrow. I dont have the extra time to get the silicone hose kit and figure out which turbo compressor wheel to get (wicked wheel 2 ??); so I will do that later when I have the time. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your advice. Ron

Old 09-13-2020, 07:24 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,136 Likes on 648 Posts
What we would suggest for the turbo would depend on your use. Do you tow? Daily driver? Stoplight warrior?

Answers could be a WW2, a 5+5, a 4+4, a KC SXE drop in turbine as well, a 270* bearing or a 360* bearing, or even a T4 setup with a large selection of sizes and A/Rs

Keeping stock injectors or one day going to single shots or hybrids?

​​​​​​The smoke could be from play in the turbo bearings. You'll have to take the intake tube off and give the compressor wheel a wiggle side to side and in and out

Old 09-13-2020, 07:50 AM
RPMRon
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the advice...I use it for daily driving and towing a 24 foot enclosed car trailer. Will replace injectors down the road, one step larger single shot. Still have the stock exhaust system, so that needs upgraded also..