Steering Pump ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Pumpkin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Pump ?'s

Hello Everyone,
First things first let me describe my setup. I have a '56 F-100 with a Volarie IFS. The truck is powered by a '73 Mustang 351C. The current power steering pump is one off of the Volarie (A Saginaw). The problem is that the pulleys are not lined up and the belt is noisy and at times will come off loosing the water pump too!!! I basically have only two options that I can think of. 1. Is to have a custom bracket made to properly position the pulleys or 2. Would be to use the pump/pulley/bracket that came off of a mustang. The major question with this does anyone knows if the mustang (Ford) pump will drive the Volarie gear with the proper pressure? I have a Mustang P/S pump and pump bracket on the way from an ebay purchase.
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Craig

Old 10-21-2003, 03:17 PM
scroob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of steering box did you put in the truck? You'd want to match the box with the pump.

The Ford pumps operate at much higher pressure than the GM and Mopar types. Whether it would harm a GM or Mopar steering gear to hook a Ford pump to it, I do not know.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:15 AM
Pumpkin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's has the Volarie steering box. I've found out from others that the Ford Pump and Mopar gear is a common mix and that it works fine without any noticeable cons.

I'm still looking for a P/S adjusting bracket. Anyone one know if one from a different motor such as a 302 is the same as the one I'm looking for for my 351c?

Craig