1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 01:09 AM
1Truck
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine swap

I apologize in advance, this may be lengthy.
What you are about to read is both good news and bad news to me.

I have 2 trucks, 1 is a 01 f250 SD standard cab 2wd
2nd truck is a 02 f150 supercab fx4

Both trucks have the vin L 5.4L triton 2 valve

A little info on both trucks:
I rebuilt the engine on the 01 f250 and drove it around for over a year taking it on 1000 mile trips to Florida 3 of 4 times. then one day it started knocking and then started seizing up within a few minutes. I could barely get it to crank. I had it towed back to the house. It has sat with the intake unbolted and sitting loosely in its place for 2 or 3 months in the midwest so I am worried about rust in the cylinders. That being said

I bought the 02 f150 when the f250 went down. It had significant rust but figured it would last me 2 or 3 yrs. its been 6 months and now the frame is broke, well split to the top lip of the frame being held together only by the lip and bed. So its not going back on the road.

My intentions are to remove the engine from the f250 and get it into my shop and take it apart to see what im working with. Then if the engine is beyond a simple repair (which I anticipate), I will take the engine from the f150 and place it into the f250.

My questions are:
the f250 is obd1 and does not have egr and has less sensors, so on. Do I delete these items?
Should I swap computers? Im leaning towards no. I appreciate the lack of electronics in the f250
when swapping engines, should I put the heads from the non running engine (which were redone by a shop when I rebuilt it) on the running engine
I know the AC works in the f150 but i dont know about the f250, should I switch out components so I dont end up having to do in later with engine in place?
the transmission in the f150 was rebuild in the last 5 or 6 years but I have issues with getting it into park (I have to slam the shifter up to get it to go into park) and starting it in park, have to start in neutral 99% of the time but I believe (hoping) its just a linkage adjustment needed. the tranny in the f250 works but makes a clunky rattling sound when shifting into 3rd 4th or OD. Should I swap trannys?
is it possible for me to take the alarm from the f150 and install it in the f250. the alarm I believe is a factory 3 button alarm. Is that part of the computer or a separate component?
Is there a way for me to install the cruise control from the f150 in the f250?
can the front seats be interchanged? the f250 has a 1 piece manual bench seat, the f150 has a manual split bench seat
can the front seat belts be interchanged? the belts in the f250 are in horrible shape
Are there any other parts I should think about swapping or not swapping like timing, sensors, intake manifold, throttle body, injectors etc. Im thinking about putting any newer parts replaced on the good engine but leaving it pretty much as is being as it runs great but has some valve noise, ergo why i want to swap the heads out providing the valves werent damaged when that engine went down. Im also thinking about replacing the front and rear oil seals, timing, check the water pump, oil pump (or just replace it), replace oil pan gasket,
Im not trying to throw too much money or time into this swap. Im a carpenter and need at least one of these trucks on the rd within a week or 2.
any parts or links to a list of parts that are interchangeable between the trucks that I should keep around just in case would be greatly appreciated.

and if you are wondering how this is good news to me, its because I miss the f250. after rebuilding the engine its like we linked, plus i miss the full size bed, the ability to have 3 tool boxes on the bed, pull a trailer with brakes, a lot more room in the engine bay to work and Ive always felt like it was just a very solid truck. When I went thru Hurricane Michael, the f250 pulled some massive weight clearing the roads in my neighborhood. I had about 700lbs of tree logs in the bed of the truck to give it more grip. for a 20 year old truck, its in really good condition, i mean its got its dents and dings and rough spots on the interior, but has minimal rust for its age.

thanks in advance for your responses

Old 08-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 1,025 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Truck
the f250 is obd1 and does not have egr and has less sensors, so on. Do I delete these items?
No, OBD1 ended with the OBS trucks('87-96) and pushrod motors so both of yours are OBD2, any differences in components is due to one being a 1/2 ton and the other a being a HD truck.

Should I swap computers? Im leaning towards no. I appreciate the lack of electronics in the f250
The complete wiring harness and it's matching PCM should remain together. Ford is notorious for changing wiring so chances are high you would open a can of worms if you try to mix and match parts of the harness or change PCMs.

when swapping engines, should I put the heads from the non running engine (which were redone by a shop when I rebuilt it) on the running engine
Tough call, how well does the donor engine work now? These are generally long life engines so if it's solid the best thing to do is just run it and minimize the amount of work you have to do.

I know the AC works in the f150 but i dont know about the f250, should I switch out components so I dont end up having to do in later with engine in place?
Have you rebuilt an AC system before? I haven't but I was under the impression it requires a functioning engine to complete the job, and if you take it apart the refrigerant is lost.

The transmission in the f150 was rebuild in the last 5 or 6 years but I have issues with getting it into park (I have to slam the shifter up to get it to go into park) and starting it in park, have to start in neutral 99% of the time but I believe (hoping) its just a linkage adjustment needed. the tranny in the f250 works but makes a clunky rattling sound when shifting into 3rd 4th or OD. Should I swap trannys?
You at least have a spare you should keep.

is it possible for me to take the alarm from the f150 and install it in the f250. the alarm I believe is a factory 3 button alarm. Is that part of the computer or a separate component?
Is there a way for me to install the cruise control from the f150 in the f250?
can the front seats be interchanged? the f250 has a 1 piece manual bench seat, the f150 has a manual split bench seat
can the front seat belts be interchanged? the belts in the f250 are in horrible shape
For all these things the answer is a big maybe, the problem here is you have 2 different truck body styles so chances are slim that any interior parts are directly interchangable. There is a separate module for the keyless entry/alarm system but if a vehicle didn't come with that feature it's not likely the necessary wiring harness is present. I'm currently looking at doing exactly this between an 06 and 11 E250 but my initial investigation suggests there are too many differences and it won't be possible. It is possible to swap in cruise if both vehicles use the same steering wheel/column but do they in your case? And I believe the SD body is wider than the F150 aero body so chances are the seats are not directly interchangable.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:22 AM
1Truck
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
No, OBD1 ended with the OBS trucks('87-96) and pushrod motors so both of yours are OBD2, any differences in components is due to one being a 1/2 ton and the other a being a HD truck.
Ok, it has the connection for OBD2 but it is a OBD1 computer. Every scanner that's been hooked up to it has indicated as much. I read somewhere that the HD and SD trucks that were over a certain gvwr It wasnt required to conform to emissions standards which result in the use of OBD1 systems with OBD2 connections.
Originally Posted by Conanski
Have you rebuilt an AC system before? I haven't but I was under the impression it requires a functioning engine to complete the job, and if you take it apart the refrigerant is lost.
this is correct, during disassembly of the engine in preparation to remove, all refrigerant is lost. But it's ok, AC is not a top priority.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:22 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 1,025 Likes on 804 Posts
If a scanner/code reader connects to the OBD2 port under the dash and communicates with the PCM then it's an OBD2 system, the diagnostic connector for OBD1 was in the engine bay and besides being a totally different connector it had no real time scanner functionality it was code reading only, this system was very basic. These first generation OBD2 systems were quite limited compared to what is available now but were still quite a bit more capable than the OBD1 system.