Sponsored by:

What is the fascination....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 11:30 AM
rainbowATF
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emission Equip Replaced

Just bought project 1979 Ford F100 2WD Truck, 302V8. It came from Franklin County (Columbus), Ohio. All emission equip was removed or bypassed. It has to pass e-check, for last 2 months of 2003; then its 25 years old and no testing on it again because of age in Lorain County, Ohio. I've already replaced CAT and exhaust, Air Pump Check Valves and Diverter Valve as well as all emission hoses. Will take it for e-check in next 7-10 days. Seems to be running great.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:26 PM
VectorFord
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh, I guess I should not be so ignorant... I'm on the island (specificaly, comox) and I just assumed that since there is no testing here, there wouldn't be anywhere in the province. Hmm I don't think I want to move to the city now . Any word on Alberta? I might go there in a couple years.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:41 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
back in the 70's, I think alot of emission equipment was an afterthought.
I had a 74 Mustang-the last year before cats, and the vacuum lines under the hood were insane, the 75 was much simpler to work on
back then the engineers didn't really know what they were doing, so maybe some of those engines do run better without it

However, these days engines are designed from the ground up with smog as one of many considerations, and are intended to work as a system.
I'm surprised that the feds haven't mandated that all states who want any federal funds for highways have emissions testing
the laws are in place, just not enforced
I believe removing a cat can get you 5years and/or $5000 fine

Old 11-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Capone
Elder User
Isky is right...not only does the air injection system cut down on HC ppm's but it also allows the unburnt fuels to create complete combustion
forming CO2 and H20 from the fuel and oxygen....

it is called "enabling a stoichiometric balance" in the oxidation of a fuel.
in this case it is a hydrocarbon.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:05 AM
fordman428
Posting Guru
i agree with all that has been said, but i dont have to worry much cuz the motor in my truck has no emission stuff at all, and dual exhaust straight out the back from headers with glass packs, but if i had a newer vehicle i wouldnt touch the emissions, there on there for a reason they wernt meant to be thrown away, it wont be long and there wont be internal combustion engines made a ford dealer near me said by the year 2010, they wont be making internal combustion engines.

Even though in the later years to come vehicles may not run on gas/diesel/etc.., there will still be smog from factorys and other things to worry about, so i think its best to help control smog as best as we can now.

-fordman

Old 01-04-2004, 11:59 AM
steell
Senior User
Won't be making internal combustion engines by 2010? Think he'd want to put some money on that?
There is no battery technology currently available, or on the drawing boards that will allow all electric cars (not hybrid gas/electric). Not to mention the diesels used in the transportation industry.

Back on topic
I lived in the L.A area (San Bernardino) in the 70's, and remember visibility limited to 1/4 mile because of smog. I was there for a month before I saw the mountains for the first time (10 miles away). Up till a couple years ago, I spend a lot of time traveling between Indiana and SoCal, and it's amazing how much cleaner the air has become in that area. At the same time, other cities have become worse.
So, yeah, I am in favor of keeping the pollution controls in place and operating (when feasable)

Old 06-23-2004, 10:37 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you outta be able to do what ever you want to your vehicle as log as it passes the sniffer test at the smog station. All this under hood inspection out here in California is insane. My 86 F250 passed the sniffer and failed cause something was missing under the hood. Who cares it passed and ran great. My 94 passed the sniffer and failed cause the timing indicater was missing (extra part left over when finished changing a gasket). If a vehicle runs good and passes the sniffer that should be it.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:40 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you outta be able to do what ever you want to your vehicle as log as it passes the sniffer test at the smog station. All this under hood inspection out here in California is insane. My 86 F250 passed the sniffer and failed cause something was missing under the hood. Who cares it passed and ran great. My 94 passed the sniffer and failed cause the timing indicater was missing (extra part left over when finished changing a gasket). Cost me $75 in labor and another retest. If a vehicle runs good and passes the sniffer that should be it.

Old 06-24-2004, 07:23 AM
grogant
Freshman User
some of this testing is just getting absurb. Here is the latest from Ohio where
some counties have no testing and others do, depending on if they have a air problem or not.

Now if you own a 1996 or above vehicle you goto the echeck station wait for
a dork to come out tell you to pull in. He takes a mirror and looks under to
see if you have a convertor. plugs computer into your data port to read the odbII codes if all is good you pass along with your gas cap being checked to
see if it can withstand the pressure test. 19.95 your out the door.

1995 or earlier you have to do the same convertor look see and gas cap thing but then they put it on a dyno with a exhaust probe drive it for a few
and most past. If you own a man tran you'll squint your eyes and go oh no
as the dork grinds your gears and stalls it on the dyno. anyway if you pass
19.95 out the door.

If you don't pass you get 2 more chances to take the test for no cost after
you have attempted repairs at an approved echeck repair facility. Now you
only have to spend 300.00 max and you can get a wavier and you'll be good
to go.

Point is the testing here is worthless does noting to ensure roadworthiness
or safety of a vehicle. Which sounds like calif while strick at least makes sure
you have an engine lol.

We used to have a safety lane inspection that was required and they did a
sniffer test but checked headlights signals exhaust brakes tires etc.

I guess I am lucky in ohio but on the other hand alot of crap is out there on
the road.

Tim

Old 06-24-2004, 11:22 AM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
Where I live 70 percent of the smog pump equipped vehicles have been disabled. All the farmers have the cats cut off their trucks to prevent fires when driving and stopping in tall grass.

Old 06-26-2004, 04:05 AM
Paxle
New User
The cat was the only thing i've removed from my bronco, and it was worth it i'd say close to 10% improvment in power and gained 4 miles to the gallon. That and if I choke it a bit I can get a nice fireball out the tailpipe when I downshift.

Funny thing is that it still passed emmisions, although i think the test in PA is the Vehicle just has to HAVE exaust to pass :P

Old 06-26-2004, 09:00 AM
reddogracing
Tuned
OK you really wanna talk emmisions? Then first off you should all get rid of the broncos, and get something a lot more earth friendly right?

Walk when you can drive only when neccesary, car pool, plant trees.

All this crap about cars killing the earth is just that crap! Mt Saint Helen gave off more carbon dioxide we it erupted, then every car ever built, and every car that will ever be built in the next 30 years, all combined!

I loike to drive, i like trucks and broncos. I love nature, and if i was really concerned about the ozone and stuff, I would cut down driving, car pool, ride a bike, heck, why dont we have horse and buggies to go to work? We could if we w anted to. What about the A/c in the car at home at work, all thats bad. All those soda bottles you sent to the landfill, bad,

Im sorry i just hate it when i hear all this how my can of wd-40 is killing the earth, yet mother nature has done more harm to herself then we every could. BTW, Al Gore gave a speech on global warming last winter, turned out to be the coldest day ever recorded, in nY I think it was.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:01 AM
reddogracing
Tuned
PS i got a choice for today., Bronco horse, or bronco truck, think I'll take the horses out today. CU all

Old 06-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Jaster
Junior User
.033% of the air is Co2, just to give you something to think about when you hear the next alarmist going OMG Co2 levels have raised 10% in the last 50 years!were all gonna dieeee!!!!

My Bronco does not TOLERATE cats, It some how managed to shatter all the junk inside it and spew it out the tailpipe... had it replaced within a few days, 3 months later BLAMMO giant backfire, blows out the cat like a firecracker in a tin can. Replaced the exaust with a straight pipe and a glasspack. no trouble since then (well its developed a leak near the manifold should be getting that fixed soon)

Yes it passed emmissions without it. Even had lower emissions than the Jetta that was tested after me.

BTW I am about 6'7" 420 lbs. I refuse to try and cram myself into some Sub-compact. VW gulfs I am ok with they actually have enough room for me. I dont fit in much else other than full size SUVs or trucks. Even the list of those is getting shorter with the Yuppification of Pickups huge on the outside smaller than a civic on the inside...

Old 06-26-2004, 10:04 AM
4byford
Senior User
I pull as much off as I can, as soon as I can. I don't own a vehicle with cat converters and don't plan to. My vehicles remain well tuned for performance and economy, and are inherently clean burning and efficient because they are well maintained. I don't want the weight, complexity, power loss, or clutter of smog pumps, 200 extra vacuum lines, and hot burning cat converters that can start fires in tall grass or a stubble field. As long as the title is in MY name, I will retain the right to decide what to do with it.

And to show that I am reasonable and endorse some smog devices (I don't necessarily want the engine bay to look exactly like 1955), I do use PCV valves!!!

[QUOTE=greystreak92 the average smog pump pulls less than 0.2 HP from an engine.
>>>>> ANY LOSS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE>>>>>
Remove the smog pump and you have issues with the catalytic converter not heating and getting odd readings from your O2 sensor. [/QUOTE]
>>>>>>BUT I DON'T HAVE CATS ANYMORE!!!!>>>>>

Quick Reply: What is the fascination....?