2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Full Bumper Replacement or Grille Guard

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 02:43 PM
Joshua Flores
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
Ranch hand will be releasing the 2020 version within 6-8 weeks I was told this week. They are ramping up production to start getting these out there. Will retain acc and front camera if needed.

I had a full replacement Ranch hand on my 17 450 and loved it.
Thanks, Rusty. I have decided to go with the Ranch Hand Legend Full Replacement all the way around. I was told yesterday that it would be at least 4 weeks until distributors receive anything, so it sounds like we have received similar information on availability.

I was told that the fog light configuration on the 2020s is substantially different, which caused RH to do a redesign, thus the production delay on the front bumpers. I was also told the rear bumper is essentially the same, so it may be available sooner.

I will post pictures once I get them installed.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:12 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I live on a ranch and went with the Fab 4 Matrix (no bars) and slapped a 12K warn winch on it and 2 sets of Rigid lights. perfect setup IMO

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html

Old 02-20-2020, 03:19 PM
Joshua Flores
New User
Originally Posted by wicked 2018
I live on a ranch and went with the Fab 4 Matrix (no bars) and slapped a 12K warn winch on it and 2 sets of Rigid lights. perfect setup IMO

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html
Looks great! Have you hit anything with it? I’ve heard tons on how solid RH is, but never heard anything about actually sturdiness of Fab Fours. I think they look great, but I’ve never seen one in person and wonder how they compare to RH.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:27 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Joshua Flores
Looks great! Have you hit anything with it? I’ve heard tons on how solid RH is, but never heard anything about actually sturdiness of Fab Fours. I think they look great, but I’ve never seen one in person and wonder how they compare to RH.
Haven't hit anything yet and hopefully never will. Anyone I know who has hit a deer at any speed with any bumper, the bumper is toast - along with most of the front end (i've seen it with ARB, RH and others).

My goal was a tight fitting bumper (one that doesn't extend out several inches like most), holds a winch, has recovery points and places to put bright lights to see the deer. The Fab 4 checked all those boxes for me.

almost 15K with this bumper on and zero chips and zero rust. i live on gravel roads.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:31 PM
Joshua Flores
New User
Originally Posted by wicked 2018
Haven't hit anything yet and hopefully never will. Anyone I know who has hit a deer at any speed with any bumper, the bumper is toast - along with most of the front end (i've seen it with ARB, RH and others).

My goal was a tight fitting bumper (one that doesn't extend out several inches like most), holds a winch, has recovery points and places to put bright lights to see the deer. The Fab 4 checked all those boxes for me.

I am glad you haven’t hit anything, but strangely disappointed too (only because I still don’t know how durable FF is). I agree that the high and tight fit is preferred, which is why this decision is not easy.... so many variables to consider.

I am likely to go with RH, unless I am convinced otherwise in the 4-6 weeks it will take for the 2020 bumpers to be released.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:35 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Again - even RH site shows their bumpers (and front ends) don't always make it. Too many variables to claim a bumper to be invincible.

I like RH, don't get me wrong - just didn't fit my needs. I wouldn't buy for an "Accident" unless you intend to hit stuff. Insurance covers accidents. Buy a bumper that fits your needs

https://www.ranchhand.com/blog/testimonials/page/3/

From Fab 4 facebook:

Old 02-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Cornbred
Senior User

westin HDX

Last edited by Cornbred; 02-20-2020 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 02-20-2020, 07:59 PM
Sagnasty
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshua Flores
I had a Fab Fours smooth ranch style on a Duramax that I ended up hitting 3 Midwest deer with. Call it bad luck but I did live in a high population of deer. All three were hit between 35-50mph. All three bounced off and the only damage I ever had was a Baja Designs light mount that was slight bent. That particular bumper saved me pain and a deductible several times.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:08 AM
lead farmer
5th Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Guess it’s been almost 4 years ago but I used my RH legend to ram a dude I caught robbing my house. Only a few scratches on the bumper but I hit his left rear quarter panel hard enough to knock his gas cap off. Funny thing I found about a week later was a big piece of his fuel door stuck on the radiator. SOB still was able to get away when the local small town PD folded like a cheap suit.

Every truck on the farm gets a RH bumper replacement ASAP.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:27 AM
Txwhitetailhunter
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MIne is a Steelcraft. I went with it on recommendation that the powder coat was better than others. The center grill section can no be removed moved for ACC.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:53 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I have Ranch hand grille guards on both of my trucks but don't think I will put one on the 2020 that I have on order. We have deer in Texas and lots at our CO place but I figure it I hit something its still gonna tear up the truck. So why not just save the cost of the Ranch hand to apply towards my deductible?

Old 02-21-2020, 08:55 AM
Maiden666
Airbus driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Txwhitetailhunter

MIne is a Steelcraft. I went with it on recommendation that the powder coat was better than others. The center grill section can no be removed moved for ACC.
Am looking at Steelcraft also. Though the smooth version, HD I think. I like that they still use the Factory fogs and the center portion can be ordered with the camera cutout.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:19 AM
legacy91
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I have Ranch hand grille guards on both of my trucks but don't think I will put one on the 2020 that I have on order. We have deer in Texas and lots at our CO place but I figure it I hit something its still gonna tear up the truck. So why not just save the cost of the Ranch hand to apply towards my deductible?
Well if you hit a deer at night during the winter and loose your radiator. Would you rather keep driving or sit broke down on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck?

I’m looking at a full replacement kinda like this bodyguard bumper https://www.bodyguardbumpers.com/a2-...acement-bumper

Old 02-21-2020, 09:21 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by legacy91
Well if you hit a deer at night during the winter and loose your radiator. Would you rather keep driving or sit broke down on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck?

I’m looking at a full replacement kinda like this bodyguard bumper https://www.bodyguardbumpers.com/a2-...acement-bumper
The question is, if I hit a deer at 55-60 mph will the Ranch hand grill guard protect my radiator? Maybe if I hit it head on..

Old 02-21-2020, 09:43 AM
Sagnasty
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
The question is, if I hit a deer at 55-60 mph will the Ranch hand grill guard protect my radiator? Maybe if I hit it head on..
If you hit it on center, your bumper will more than likely have no issues protecting your front end as would be surprised what they will actually stop. As I stated above, I have launched several deer at back roads speed with nothing more than a little blood on the Line-X coating. I have personally seen these bumpers survive quite well with larger animal strikes such as moose and cattle.

As far as protection, I am always more concerned about myself and passengers than I am the truck. I have heard a few complaints that strikes and these bumpers and easily bend your frame in an accident. To me that is fine, as that will likley mean my passngers were provided a more protection and the truck will likley get totalled saving me the heartache of having extensive body work done.