1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cluster reset button missing/radio won't turn off with truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 10:19 AM
Zacktmay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cluster reset button missing/radio won't turn off with truck

I just bought a 2006 F-250 XL and fixing a few things and went to go cycle through the cluster and can't seem to find the reset button. There is no button where it's usually at on most vehicles and can't find it anywhere and there are no forums for this so I feel stupid posting but I'm desperate. Also the radio won't turn off after I shut the truck off and still shut off after I open the driver side or the passenger door. Please help.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:05 PM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Of course...............for 2006:

The instrument cluster carries out a display prove-out to verify that the warning/indicator lamps and monitored systems are operating correctly. The safety belt warning indicator proves-out for 65-seconds or until the safety belt is fastened. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), and the wait to start indicator (diesel engines) illuminate continuously until the engine is started and operating normally. When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position with the engine off, the following indicators illuminate for 3 seconds :
  • LOW RANGE indicator
  • 4x4 indicator
  • BRAKE warning indicator
  • ABS warning indicator
  • charging system warning indicator
  • door ajar indicator
  • air bag warning indicator (6 seconds )
  • electronic throttle control

My initial observation: you have a gremlin in one of the modules (lesser likelihood) such as body control or in the hybrid electronic instrument cluster (higher likelihood). That hybrid instrument cluster has a microprocessor, CAN bus, UBP bus and data flows between the cluster, trailer brake control unit, electronic control unit, PCM, ABS module, vehicle security module, and the electronic automatic temperature control. That cluster circuit board (what a gargantuan Piece of Chit (POS) from Visteon --- disgraceful on Ford's part too for using this cheap, poorly manufactured, poor quality control CHIT) is prone to cold solder joints, microprocessor leads coming detached, pad problems, etc...............if you're good with Ohms Law, have a decent DMM you can troubleshoot pathways on the cluster board as it's largely discreet, you can also "reflow" the leads on the main microprocessor using relatively cheap gear from most electronics shops and fix other component problems, pathways with a decent soldering iron.....watch the heat !