Sponsored by: DP Tuner

oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:45 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
oil filter question

I've got 2000 miles on this oil change. Lately it's been dripping oil on the driveway, this morning I finally got under there to see what's up. As far as I can tell it's just the oil filter gasket leaking. I couldn't get the filter to turn tighter by hand. It's a motorcraft filter. I'd like to just replace the filter, not the oil. Is this possible without dropping the oil? Or is all the oil pretty much going to come out of the oil filter fitting when I pull the filter off?

Old 01-27-2020, 09:37 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,509 Likes on 975 Posts
Tighten the filter more, common

Old 01-27-2020, 11:28 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
You can change the filter without draining the oil. It probably won't solve the problem unless the filter gasket has a problem. You might just need a bit more grunt on the filter. When the PS first came out we were instructed by someone at Ford to use a strap wrench to crank them down even tho this it's generally frowned upon to wrench a filter on. The filter gasket was redesigned a long time ago to not need as much tightening, but it still takes fairly strong hands on a clean filter to get them tight enough. If you're uncomfortable with using a wrench, clean it off so you can get a good grip and see if you can get it tighter, or find someone that can. I assume it'll be easier to tighten if it's warmed up vs. cold, but have never compared. We used strap wrenches on MANY of these filters and never had a problem with denting leading to cracking which is the biggest concern when putting a wrench to a filter.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:16 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with E88 350. Just put a strap wrench on the filter and give it an extra 1/8-1/4 turn. This should do it. I have a tip that I've used on my oil filters from Heavy Equipment to well anything you put an Oil filter on really. Apply a thin film of grease on the seal, then screw in to place. This way when you do tighten the filter using a filter wrench, the filter won't lock up on you for the next oil change.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:01 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll try some extra torque tomorrow. I had plans to do that this morning but my day got rearranged by a tenant saying they had no heat.

I've always dabbed oil on the filter o-ring before installation, seems they usually come off well. About 20 years ago I had an o-ring stick to the block, I didn't realize it, screwed the new filter on, and carried on... until the extra o-ring blew 300 miles later. Ever since then I make sure that old o-ring comes off!

Old 01-28-2020, 10:24 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
"Everyone" says not to use grease and for good reasons. A low viscosity grease might be ok, but I've never seen the need.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:26 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
There have been reports of the MC filters leaking slowly from the top seam. If so replace the filter.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:15 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
"Everyone" says not to use grease and for good reasons. A low viscosity grease might be ok, but I've never seen the need.
Guess I'm really old school. I always take a dab of the oil I am changing and coat the gasket before installing. Been doing that for 60 years now. Is that a problem now?

Old 02-05-2020, 03:18 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ranagent
I'll try some extra torque tomorrow. I had plans to do that this morning but my day got rearranged by a tenant saying they had no heat.

I've always dabbed oil on the filter o-ring before installation, seems they usually come off well. About 20 years ago I had an o-ring stick to the block, I didn't realize it, screwed the new filter on, and carried on... until the extra o-ring blew 300 miles later. Ever since then I make sure that old o-ring comes off!
Strangely, I once had such a leak and the filter was on really tight. So I backed it off maybe 1/8 turn and it stopped. No further leak til the next oil change when I replaced the filter. I couldn't see anything wrong with the gasket. Don't know why that helped but it worked!

Old 02-05-2020, 03:22 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 298 Likes on 249 Posts
it will leak a little down the side of the filter if it is not quite snug enough in cold weather. Wipe it off and give it a little more cinch...1/8th of a turn maybe will fix it.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:24 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 298 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by GEugeneS
Strangely, I once had such a leak and the filter was on really tight. So I backed it off maybe 1/8 turn and it stopped. No further leak til the next oil change when I replaced the filter. I couldn't see anything wrong with the gasket. Don't know why that helped but it worked!
There is a tight spot and loose spot on the threads on mine. I stop when it rolls back around to the tight spot and don't usually have a problem with leaks or getting it back off by hand.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:11 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by GEugeneS
Guess I'm really old school. I always take a dab of the oil I am changing and coat the gasket before installing. Been doing that for 60 years now. Is that a problem now?
Nope, oil is the right thing to use. My response was to someone who suggested using grease which is ill advised. On engines with horizontal mounting bases I don't even oil the filter gasket, the sealing surface is covered in oil so the gasket gets oiled as it touches down.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:57 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
Never heard that one before. Well to each their own...

Old 02-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Bobcatbob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange, no one mentioned prefilling the filter with oil before installing. Oil pressure builds much faster.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:56 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Bobcatbob
Strange, no one mentioned prefilling the filter with oil before installing. Oil pressure builds much faster.
and your motor doesn't have to run dry while the filter is filling up...

Quick Reply: oil filter question