2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Radius Arm Drop Brackets vs Castor Shims

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 11:27 AM
PENOBSCOT
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Radius Arm Drop Brackets vs Castor Shims

Need some feedback on this subject. Going to level the truck so 2.5" seems to be the magic number. Anyone out there have some real world experience doing drop brackets instead of castor shims?

Old 01-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Daniel Reinard
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Following. I'll be in the same boat in a month. In theory the 2.5" drop brackets are way better. They level the radius arms and reduce bump steer. They push the axle forward a little bit since a spacer level moves the axle rearward about half an inch. They restore castor to factory numbers and assuming that was good to begin with, it gets the alignment right back where it was designed to be. I'll likely do the OUO radius arm drops. It just seems better than guessing at proper castor but leaves other adjustments without a fix.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:55 AM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Typically in the past drop brackets were only needed if going to say a 4in. Lift or more and then they were not 4in brackets. You would get say 2.5in brackets for the back of arms. Then you would get c-bushings for the front of arms that were angled to make up for how much lift you had. This is going back quite a few years so I am sure things have changed.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:57 AM
PENOBSCOT
Mountain Pass
Agree. For the cost of drop brackets I just don't understand why more people don't do them. I am looking at piecing a kit together and dropping everything down to try and stay within the factory geometry. I sure would be great to hear from some people that have this kind of set up.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-12-2020, 12:00 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 349 Likes on 246 Posts
Its a choice up to you, both methods will provide the same results, and you may need shims anyway for a proper alignment. There is no "magic" number for a level kit, you need to measure your fender wells to determine what size kit you need, some get away with 1", some 2" and the more common is 2.5"........it all depends on what your after. I installed a 2.5" kit and did not get an alignment, doesn't need it (now) but when I get new tires, then I'll have it checked.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:10 PM
PENOBSCOT
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Daniel Reinard
Following. I'll be in the same boat in a month. In theory the 2.5" drop brackets are way better. They level the radius arms and reduce bump steer. They push the axle forward a little bit since a spacer level moves the axle rearward about half an inch. They restore castor to factory numbers and assuming that was good to begin with, it gets the alignment right back where it was designed to be. I'll likely do the OUO radius arm drops. It just seems better than guessing at proper castor but leaves other adjustments without a fix.
Those OUO brackets are exactly what I was looking for. I will be adding these to my leveling kit parts list. Man, that website is cool. Lots of good information.
Thanks for turning me onto this company.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:11 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
From an offroad point of view, lowering parts as part of a lift seems counter productive. But these trucks aren't my idea of an offroad rig, and most lift for looks, so I don't see why the drop brackets aren't more common.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:52 PM
Daniel Reinard
Senior User
Originally Posted by ForCal
From an offroad point of view, lowering parts as part of a lift seems counter productive. But these trucks aren't my idea of an offroad rig, and most lift for looks, so I don't see why the drop brackets aren't more common.
Agreed. I think most just go cheap. They say things like "you get the same results so why spend more". Truth is it's not the same. Readylift sells a ton of kits for a reason. They have cheap fixes for some of the geometry. They don't address castor or bump steer like some of the higher end kits. For me, I'd like to get the geometry at least back to OEM and I can't stand the kit look of readylift. An undercoil spacer and longer brake lines really cleans up the look.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:48 PM
PENOBSCOT
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ForCal
Agreed. Definitely will not be a true off road rig. Mainly a tow rig.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:05 PM
DEW34
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The OUO site was very interesting . A while back I did what I thought was a through search for a 2.5 radius arm bracket and came up empty . guess I did not do such a good job !

Old 01-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Daniel Reinard
Senior User
Originally Posted by PENOBSCOT
Those OUO brackets are exactly what I was looking for. I will be adding these to my leveling kit parts list. Man, that website is cool. Lots of good information.
Thanks for turning me onto this company.
No problem. I've emailed him to ask about the radius arm drop brackets and he's very helpful. I'd email him if you have any more questions.

My truck arrives next month. I've chosen the parts and might start ordering so its here when it arrives. Those radius arm drops are one of them. I also like the carli track bar, sway bar drops and steering stabilizer and PMF 2.5" front block and fox shocks. Should be a clean look, good geometry and driveability. A big driver to replace stuff is to ditch the problematic factory track bar and steering stabilizer. Might as well ditch those parts and avoid the DW woes.

Edit: why I am building a spacer kit is because I bought a gasser. No one makes a coil level kit.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:22 PM
PENOBSCOT
Mountain Pass
Indeed, OUO has some very good information on their site. I am in the same boat as you, I have a gasser as well and it seems that every kit out there has its pluses and minuses. I figure just build it the way I want it. Here is my list of parts,
-ReadyLift drop track bar bracket. (Still researching track bars)
-OUO radius arm drop brackets.
-PMF/BMC 2.5" coil spacers.
-Supreme Suspension bump stop drop pucks.
-Crown Performance brake lines. (Front and Rear)
-Carli sway bar drop brackets.
-Shocks, still torn between Bilstein and Fox.
-Fox steering stabilizer.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:57 PM
Daniel Reinard
Senior User
Originally Posted by PENOBSCOT
Indeed, OUO has some very good information on their site. I am in the same boat as you, I have a gasser as well and it seems that every kit out there has its pluses and minuses. I figure just build it the way I want it. Here is my list of parts,
-ReadyLift drop track bar bracket. (Still researching track bars)
-OUO radius arm drop brackets.
-PMF/BMC 2.5" coil spacers.
-Supreme Suspension bump stop drop pucks.
-Crown Performance brake lines. (Front and Rear)
-Carli sway bar drop brackets.
-Shocks, still torn between Bilstein and Fox.
-Fox steering stabilizer.
Similar list as mine. It sucks for us gas guys.

Imo I'd get an adjustable track bar and leave the OEM bracket in there. The drop bracket is only needed if you want to use the oem track bar. The oem bars are terrible so it's better to get a quality adjustable bar. The carli bar looks like a strong option and it's made for 2.5" lifts. It's a couple bucks more than a PMF track bar but I like the ends on it for a daily driver.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:45 AM
Badford
Elder User
Has anyone installed the OUO brackets? Are they nice and strong?

Old 01-13-2020, 02:44 PM
Daniel Reinard
Senior User
Originally Posted by Badford
Has anyone installed the OUO brackets? Are they nice and strong?
I've seen people talk about loving them with no issues. I assume such a short bracket will be quite solid regardless. I know via exchanging emails with OUO that he designs things to work better than factory.

Quick Reply: Radius Arm Drop Brackets vs Castor Shims