1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

$149 bellowed SS uppies on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 07:57 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
This will be good news for us E99 guys as well. It's welded piece of pipe. Not sure how bad they could be unless the welds are low quality. Definitely nicer than the $400+ price of the others.
Early 99 require a different bend radius than the OBS in order to not contact the head among other things.

There are many things that distinguish quality / proper design and welds are only one. There is much more going on than welding a bellow to a piece of pipe due to the temps and pressure they operate under.

Originally Posted by 97-psd
How do they feel? Light and cheap or well made? The welds are a good sign. I may look and see if they indicate which grade of SS they are made of. I know the Riffraff ones are nice high quality material
While we use the highest grade of certified 321 American made stainless, it is possible to use lower alloys and still have a decent product. Proper engineering is the key to correct fit, and longevity though, which is usually the issue that gets sent to us most often.

Not talking about the OP what so ever, but if someone wants to spend $149 on up-pipes versus $399 that is just fine, and maybe you will have better luck than many, but let's not pretend that they are the same thing. If we had the ability to make them for less we would be happy to but we refuse to compromise our values in the name of making more margin. Our pricing reflects a 100% made in the USA product, from raw material all the way to final packaging. The only reason a company sends anything overseas is exploited labor, it isn't because of the quality of workmanship. We have been manufacturing them in house for over 6 years, and our bellowed up-pipes are the only ones that are made in the US, and we are proud to support the trades by keeping it right here.

Here is pictures from a customer just a few weeks ago that warrantied his first set from eBay and this was his replacement 2nd set when he decided it was time to try ours.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-11-2020, 08:16 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3 forever
To be honest I’ve never been up close and personal to a set of riffraff ones or diesel site ones but to me they seemed decent quality. I’m sure the name brand ones are heavier quality but so far so good on these. If I have a issue I’ll definitely let you guys know.
Diesel site. lawl.

Riff Raff makes theirs in house for years now here in US with quality material.

This will be good news for us E99 guys as well. It's welded piece of pipe. Not sure how bad they could be unless the welds are low quality. Definitely nicer than the $400+ price of the others.
Weld quality is HUGE, and a big failure point of a lot of pressure systems. That's your most likely leak point failure. As well, they gotta cheap this stuff out, so the brackets are probably the lowest quality material as well.

While there is some great products out there for dirt cheep, always good to remember that you generally get what you pay for on ebay. Like all the guys buying "Ebay turbo kits" to go faster in their cars. hahaha.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:42 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Early 99 require a different bend radius than the OBS in order to not contact the head among other things.

There are many things that distinguish quality / proper design and welds are only one. There is much more going on than welding a bellow to a piece of pipe due to the temps and pressure they operate under.

While we use the highest grade of certified 321 American made stainless, it is possible to use lower alloys and still have a decent product. Proper engineering is the key to correct fit, and longevity though, which is usually the issue that gets sent to us most often.

Not talking about the OP what so ever, but if someone wants to spend $149 on up-pipes versus $399 that is just fine, and maybe you will have better luck than many, but let's not pretend that they are the same thing. If we had the ability to make them for less we would be happy to but we refuse to compromise our values in the name of making more margin. Our pricing reflects a 100% made in the USA product, from raw material all the way to final packaging. The only reason a company sends anything overseas is exploited labor, it isn't because of the quality of workmanship. We have been manufacturing them in house for over 6 years, and our bellowed up-pipes are the only ones that are made in the US, and we are proud to support the trades by keeping it right here.

Here is pictures from a customer just a few weeks ago that warrantied his first set from eBay and this was his replacement 2nd set when he decided it was time to try ours.

Holy Crap!!! Well, that's all the education I needed. Those photos are the proof more than words could explain. Thanks Clay! I definitely agree that most things are "get what you pay for". I just never understood why the OBS and E99 are so much more money than the 99.5-2003 up-pipes when they seem to look and do the same thing. Anyways, thanks for clarifying. I guess you'll be getting an order from me in the next few weeks. This is why FTE is so valuable.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:44 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Diesel site. lawl.

Riff Raff makes theirs in house for years now here in US with quality material.

Weld quality is HUGE, and a big failure point of a lot of pressure systems. That's your most likely leak point failure. As well, they gotta cheap this stuff out, so the brackets are probably the lowest quality material as well.

While there is some great products out there for dirt cheep, always good to remember that you generally get what you pay for on ebay. Like all the guys buying "Ebay turbo kits" to go faster in their cars. hahaha.
Yup, I RARELY order form Ebay, if at all. Like I said, good educational moment. Thanks again. And dangit I need to learn to weld very soon.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:23 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Holy Crap!!! Well, that's all the education I needed. Those photos are the proof more than words could explain. Thanks Clay! I definitely agree that most things are "get what you pay for". I just never understood why the OBS and E99 are so much more money than the 99.5-2003 up-pipes when they seem to look and do the same thing. Anyways, thanks for clarifying. I guess you'll be getting an order from me in the next few weeks. This is why FTE is so valuable.
Thank you, and I am glad you took it as informational as I don’t want to cause any issues. Honestly, although my family appreciates any business that comes from it, I didn’t post it to tell anyone what to purchase. There are probably a percentage that don’t result in compete failure, but our goal is to highlight how much work, planning and capital go into making a product you can stand behind. There are many things that aren’t engineered or manufactured correctly in the other up-pipes, including international, but I don’t want to list them as it just helps the competitors short cut what has taken us almost a decade to perfect. Feel free to give me a call next week if you have any questions as I am happy to help.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:22 AM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts
I totally agree on the fact that you get what you pay for. And I’m a total believer in buy it once and be done. I had bought several other oem items from them and they all where in oem packaging and. Quick shipping to so I figured I’d atleast give them a shot if there is a issue I figured a set of riffraff uppipes would be in Short order.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:53 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I'ma throw this out there because a lot of people in here are newer vs our older OBS crowd who was here when Clay started RiffRaff diesel.

When this guy makes products, people test them. It's not him coming up with an idea and saying "okay make this, were just going to sell it." or grabbing some chineese crap and marking it up and posting it on his diesel forum and saying it was home made or some crap like that.

Riff Raff makes the product and gets with people if they dont have the ability to test them in trucks themselves. I know, I used to get parts from him to test when he first started. He didn't have an OBS truck. Other older members in this forum who are not around also assisted in this process to get some great products on the RiffRaff site for us OBS guys.

This is why the 7.3 guys and others have supported Clay/RiffRaff so much over the years. Their passion to make good products for us is why guys like me tend to always recommend them.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 883 Likes on 672 Posts
i didnt post this as a dig to a vendor and I have used riffraff for parts and send people there all the time

I dont have 600 laying around for some exhaust pipes being a single dad with twins and bought them since I purchased some stuff for work on my ebay account.
Spoiler

EBAY BUCKS FTW !!!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:13 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by knottyrope
i didnt post this as a dig to a vendor and I have used riffraff for parts and send people there all the time

I dont have 600 laying around for some exhaust pipes being a single dad with twins and bought them since I purchased some stuff for work on my ebay account.
Spoiler

EBAY BUCKS FTW !!!
No problem, I think everyone can see that. It was just informational because we get so many issues like the one pictured but for some reason they never make it onto the forums for others to know. As much fun of a job as up-pipes are it is even less the second time around.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:25 AM
Bobcatbob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI: I had the pleasure of installing Clay's uppipes on a motor out of the truck. I wanted to have a 100% stress free alignment, but just could not get it. I finally called, with great reluctance, and asked to speak to Clay. Like he needs another problem customer asking stupid questions.
He assured me the pipes were made on a proper jig, should fit perfect. With that knowledge, I made small tweeks on other components, and got the alignment perfect. This could not of been done in frame to see everything.
Do it right once on this mod is all I can add.
Thank, Bob

Old 02-29-2020, 01:25 PM
Minnesota_Duane
Junior User
Did you get these on yet and how was the fit?

Old 03-02-2020, 12:34 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
not yet, doing it in spring and maybe a clutch too while in there

Old 03-02-2020, 09:54 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
not yet, doing it in spring and maybe a clutch too while in there
It's such a fun job. I just wish I could do it every single day.
​​​​​​
not.
I think I would rather be kicked in the nards.
​​

Old 05-23-2020, 09:30 PM
Minnesota_Duane
Junior User
Mine fit fine, so far no leaks only a 1000 miles or so, I bought new Ford doughnut gaskets for the top and didn't use the flat gasket that came with them, seemed like a better option considering the lack of flange surface next to the pipes. I would have liked the right side to be about 1/4 inch shorter, it was tight getting it into place, I just cracked the pedestal bolts loose to give it some room and it slipped into place. Have the transmission out, it would suck otherwise.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:37 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Passenger side did not fit. could not compress it to align the flange to turbo and pipe hit the head.

Bought a pair from RiffRaffDiesel so I dont have to do this again.

Quick Reply: $149 bellowed SS uppies on ebay