1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford alternator and an ext voltage regulator install

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 12:09 AM
NewClimber
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford alternator and an ext voltage regulator install

Hope someone can clear up some confusion I am having in completing my wiring. I am using a Ford alternator and an external voltage regulator. I have the Kwikwire harness and I have been following their install guide book. Below is a clip of the schematic I am following.

My question: I plan on using a Volt meter not an Amp gauge. In doing some internet reading tonight, it would seem I need an amp light if I am to put a wire on the "I" terminal of the voltage regulator. ...
The harness has a "#14 exciter" wire which the guide says to put this wire to wire going to "I" of the regulator. At this time, I can't confirm if the #14 wire (exciter) is just IGN switched power from the fuse box? it does goes back to the fuse box according to their guide.

Any one have any experience with Kwikwire wiring harness...or any input if I did this correctly?
If the "#14 Exciter" wire is just switched IGN power, would this be a correct install for this regulator?

Old 12-25-2019, 08:35 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I would suggest calling Kwikwire. Most harness manufacturers have helpful tech support.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:22 AM
NewClimber
Mountain Pass
Thx...yes, I emailed them, he said i dont need to install a resistor. And I should install as their drawing

I am sure they tested, but sometimes it is difficult to understand when I read other ways people have made it work.
thx

Old 12-25-2019, 11:23 AM
NewClimber
Mountain Pass
By the way, fast response from Kwikwire support.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:10 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I am hooking up a voltage regulator on a flathead now and I believe it has this as primary from ignition switch for power in.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:51 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by NewClimber
Hope someone can clear up some confusion I am having in completing my wiring. I am using a Ford alternator and an external voltage regulator. I have the Kwikwire harness and I have been following their install guide book. Below is a clip of the schematic I am following.

My question: I plan on using a Volt meter not an Amp gauge. In doing some internet reading tonight, it would seem I need an amp light if I am to put a wire on the "I" terminal of the voltage regulator. ...
The harness has a "#14 exciter" wire which the guide says to put this wire to wire going to "I" of the regulator. At this time, I can't confirm if the #14 wire (exciter) is just IGN switched power from the fuse box? it does goes back to the fuse box according to their guide.

Any one have any experience with Kwikwire wiring harness...or any input if I did this correctly?
If the "#14 Exciter" wire is just switched IGN power, would this be a correct install for this regulator?

Few glaring misses on this diagram. First and foremost it's a "Stator" not a "Stater" and that wire is not required as it would go to a choke. The "A" terminal wire is the voltage sensing wire and that wire should never be connected to the alternator output stud. That's pure laziness, you want that wire to sense voltage at the starter solenoid ( where your can power draws from) or from the inside cab fuse box so you don't give yourself a low voltage situation. There should also be a 10amp fuse on that circuit if you are not using a fusible link. The diagram also doesn't show the ground wire on the 1G alternator which should be there for best performance.

The following users liked this post: