2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Is there a fire issue with 2017+ trucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 12:36 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there a fire issue with 2017+ trucks

My buddy just sent me this pic from his 5th wheel rv page on facebook. Somewhere on i26? This is not the first photo i have seen of one these trucks catching fire. Hope all are okay that are involved.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:03 PM
landman873
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been some pics of trucks that have burned up. But I've also seen some chevy and Rams so they are all subject to burning i'd take it

Old 10-11-2019, 02:07 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
I have seen a Ram truck that was burnt up a bit from the transmission blowing its fluid out the dipstick. Haven't seen any chevy ones yet. This has to be the 3rd or 4th Ford I've seen. Pathetic either way. All the ones I have seen have been diesels. This one may be but cant tell whether it is or not. Cant really make out the badge on the door.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Mkos1980
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
We had a fire on I-271 last week. Dont know the year but It was a 17+ psd. Completely melted front half. Could tell by the exhaust.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:31 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Haven't the fires been caused by a leak or hole in the fuel filter cap located in the engine bay? I'm sure if it becomes a common enough problem, Ford will come out with an improved part replaced under recall.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:06 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,042 Likes on 2,834 Posts
A fire in a 2017+ truck will be a bit more spectacular than prior years due to the aluminum body.

One member had his burn due to lightning.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:10 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HRTKD
A fire in a 2017+ truck will be a bit more spectacular than prior years due to the aluminum body.

One member had his burn due to lightning.
Yes but either way a complete loss due to fire from an unknown cause for most of these. Seems it hits while on the road. Hopefully the cause is determined in one of these that they can save before it totally melt down.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:10 PM
SESWIM
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No!!!!

Sam

Old 10-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I believe that guy is on the Grand Design forums. As I recall, the fire was after he stopped in some poedunk little town and had the local (small) Ford dealer do a scheduled maintenance that included replacing the fuel filter. Their tech didn't screw the filter down tight enough and it backed off and started leaking further along in their trip. Spewed diesel fuel all inside the engine compartment, and WHOOSH!

Old 10-11-2019, 08:08 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
I believe that guy is on the Grand Design forums. As I recall, the fire was after he stopped in some poedunk little town and had the local (small) Ford dealer do a scheduled maintenance that included replacing the fuel filter. Their tech didn't screw the filter down tight enough and it backed off and started leaking further along in their trip. Spewed diesel fuel all inside the engine compartment, and WHOOSH!

Well that would be very unfortunate circumstances.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,755 Likes on 1,685 Posts
Originally Posted by ncl
My buddy just sent me this pic from his 5th wheel rv page on facebook. Somewhere on i26? This is not the first photo i have seen of one these trucks catching fire. Hope all are okay that are involved.
Of course it is posted on fuzzbook........all the Chevy n Ram fans will make sure of that; then when it is a Ram, all the Chevy n Ford guys make sure to post it, and if it a Chevy, all the Ford n Ram guys....................
There are many good reasons not to go on FB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe 1 one thousandth of what is there has an inkling of truth!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 99150
Of course it is posted on fuzzbook........all the Chevy n Ram fans will make sure of that; then when it is a Ram, all the Chevy n Ford guys make sure to post it, and if it a Chevy, all the Ford n Ram guys....................
There are many good reasons not to go on FB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe 1 one thousandth of what is there has an inkling of truth!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me I'm not on facebook often or there to gather facts. Lol. It's just seems to be an issue with trucks catching fire like it or not. Whether it's due to oversight during normal maintenance or a faulty design on the fuel system near engine. It's unfortunate and people need to pay attention I guess.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:14 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,815 Likes on 1,368 Posts
Vehicle fires happen to all makes and models. Anything mass produced by humans, with fuel, spark, and heat in a confined space has the potential to go up in flames if everything isn't working together like it should.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:22 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
....some poedunk little town and had the local (small) Ford dealer...
I question why a 'local, small, poeduck' town dealer has anything to do with it. I find big city dealers service can be much worse.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,755 Likes on 1,685 Posts
Originally Posted by ncl
Trust me I'm not on facebook often or there to gather facts. Lol. It's just seems to be an issue with trucks catching fire like it or not. Whether it's due to oversight during normal maintenance or a faulty design on the fuel system near engine. It's unfortunate and people need to pay attention I guess.
There is a reason that the DOT requires ALL commercial motor vehicles have a fire extinguisher rated 10 B,C or more.......not just Ford motor vehiclles.
And, there is a reason I have a fire extinguisher in MY personal vehicles at all times, regardless of the make, model, or type of fuel used.
Vehicles CAN and DO catch fire, never at the best moment.
There is a reason that the USCG requires boats the have at least one marine B-1 fire extinguisher on board.

As @ATC Crazy stated......Fuel, heat, and spark.......you have a fire hazard; regardless of make, model, fuel type, whatever.

Quick Reply: Is there a fire issue with 2017+ trucks