Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon in valve train

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 02:47 PM
EllieMae94
Elder User
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
OP, can you take a picture of that piston (3rd pic you posted) further down its bore? Would like to see the whole top (or as much as you can capture with the scope) and not so close. That just looks like carbon to me.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:48 PM
dfizzle2435
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EllieMae94
Are the pictures all of #1, or one pic each of #1's through 4? Either way, that looks pretty clean and I can't imagine that little amount of carbon build-up would cause your pinging issue even with running 93 octane. Are you sure what you're hearing is pinging and not something else? You could try the MMO in the intake, it won't hurt anything but don't expect any miracles. Have you replaced the PCV valve?
Correct, the pics are showing cylinders 1-4. I'll scope 5-8 but don't expect those will be visually different. I'm 99 percent sure it's pinging, based on what I know and the opinion of a couple of mechanics. It's a rattling sound, like the ball in a spray paint can, that only presents under hard throttle once the motor is warm. The second I let off the pedal, it'll go away. I've never been able to recreate at half throttle for example.

I have installed a new PCV. I'll try the MMO and a couple of the other ideas. I'm hopeful the Delo recommendation might help too.

I'm using Motorcraft plugs that are properly gapped, but have read switching to colder plugs could be a potential solution. I love this mid-90's generation and don't want to give up on my first F-150! lol

Old 09-29-2019, 03:23 PM
dfizzle2435
5th Wheeling
OP, can you take a picture of that piston (3rd pic you posted) further down its bore? Would like to see the whole top (or as much as you can capture with the scope) and not so close. That just looks like carbon to me.
Definitely. Here's a fresh set, hopefully a little better quality as well. I've marked accordingly.

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

Cylinder 4

Old 09-29-2019, 03:29 PM
dfizzle2435
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
Tops of the pistons look normal for mileage. There’s a lot of reasons why #1 has more build up than the others so for now I wouldn’t pull the head unless there’s a compression issue.

I couldn’t see them in your photo but how did the oil return passages in the head look?

Split a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil 1/2 & 1/2 between the gas and the oil, then go on at least a 20 minute drive with as much highway cruising as possible. You’ll know when it starts working because you’ll be able to smell it (that’s why I like MMO - compared to other additives, the way it smells tells me all the build up is getting cleaned off the inside and some of it is getting burned up via the PCV). Change the oil immediately after the drive.

You may not see an immediate change in the build up - it could take a few treatments to get the bulk of it.

There’s also the classic sea foam through the intake treatment as well - plenty of YouTube how-to’s on that.
The two return passages look good to me. I don't see anything visually that looks clogged or out of the ordinary.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:44 PM
EllieMae94
Elder User
Thanks yeah those look pretty good for 150k miles from what I can tell. Not so sure I'd pull the heads off for it. Did you try running it with the o2 sensor disconnected?

Old 09-29-2019, 03:51 PM
dfizzle2435
5th Wheeling
Thanks yeah those look pretty good for 150k miles from what I can tell. Not so sure I'd pull the heads off for it. Did you try running it with the o2 sensor disconnected?
Appreciate the opinion! Haven't had an opportunity yet but I plan to. I get injectors back mid-week and then I'll work of putting everything back together.

I haven't touched the inside of a motor since high school 15 years ago, so this has all been a good learning experience if nothing else! Haha

Old 09-29-2019, 04:18 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Logistics Pro
Received 693 Likes on 514 Posts
did you get a chance to check timing

Old 09-29-2019, 05:41 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 505 Likes on 333 Posts
How long have you had the truck and how many miles have you put on it? Valve seals are not that hard to put on with the heads on the truck.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:20 PM
dfizzle2435
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by yardbird
How long have you had the truck and how many miles have you put on it? Valve seals are not that hard to put on with the heads on the truck.
Purchased from original owner in late-2018. I've put about 750 miles on the truck. Would like to get to point where I can rely on it as a daily driver. Putting on the valve seals seems pretty straight forward.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:04 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
You haven't driven it enough to burn the crud off the pistons. Did you drain ALL the old gas out, or just mix? The reason I ask, I bought a '97 Crown Vic that had been sitting for two years. I had never hears the kind of spark knock that engine had. It sounded like marbles rattling in the engine. I ended up putting a new fuel pump and draining the tank before it ran like new again.

Also, Check your fuel pressure. The pump could be going out, and change all fuel filters. Your problem could be that simple.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:46 PM
dfizzle2435
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by yardbird
You haven't driven it enough to burn the crud off the pistons. Did you drain ALL the old gas out, or just mix? The reason I ask, I bought a '97 Crown Vic that had been sitting for two years. I had never hears the kind of spark knock that engine had. It sounded like marbles rattling in the engine. I ended up putting a new fuel pump and draining the tank before it ran like new again.

Also, Check your fuel pressure. The pump could be going out, and change all fuel filters. Your problem could be that simple.
Fuel pressure is good after putting a new regulator in and I've installed new filters. I mixed when I took ownership. I was told the truck was driven often but who knows if that was the truth. New fuel pump is a new option I haven't heard before. What prompted you to focus on the fuel pump in your Crown Vic? Any idea what the correlation between the pump, draining tank and elimination of spark knock?

Old 09-30-2019, 05:57 PM
EllieMae94
Elder User
Originally Posted by dfizzle2435
Fuel pressure is good after putting a new regulator in and I've installed new filters. I mixed when I took ownership. I was told the truck was driven often but who knows if that was the truth. New fuel pump is a new option I haven't heard before. What prompted you to focus on the fuel pump in your Crown Vic? Any idea what the correlation between the pump, draining tank and elimination of spark knock?
Do you know what the PSI readings were when you tested the pressure? I’m curious to know the reading at WOT and if it increased/decreased or maintained pressure compared with part throttle at cruising speeds.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:39 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
I had to put in a new fuel pump after I tried to start the car with an almost dead battery. Then engine kicked back, and caused two lash adjusters to pop off the lifters. I parked the car for a few months after I figured out why it had a dead cylinder, and it was too cold for me to work on it. By the time I was ready to fix the lash adjusters, the fuel pump was stuck from me trying to run the car with the old, varnished up gas.

A Crown Vic fuel pump is pretty easy to change, and while it was out I siphoned all the gas out of the tank. OMG what a smell the dead gas had.Changing the pump was much easier than getting the valve cover off the passenger side of the engine. After new gas, new pump, lash adjusters back in place, and a new battery, the car ran perfect. It was a low mileage school superintendent's car that had been replaced and sat at the county garage.

I had my dealers license, and sold the car to a couple 10 years ago. They still own and drive the car. I met them in town just this weekend. The way it rattled when I first got it I thought I had messed up, but it was bad gas and probably a weak fuel pump.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:48 PM
EllieMae94
Elder User
Checking in as I’m curious if the cleaned injectors solved your pinging issue?

Old 10-05-2019, 11:00 PM
dfizzle2435
5th Wheeling
Checking in as I’m curious if the cleaned injectors solved your pinging issue?
I got them back today and swapped out the valve gaskets. Covers are back on now, so should find out tomorrow after I get plenum back on and check timing. Flow chart showed injectors for cylinders 1 and 8 were pretty crudded up. Fingers crossed ...

Quick Reply: Carbon in valve train