2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Who makes a winch bumper you can comfortably stand on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 10:51 PM
Nick-ApolloOptics
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just put an ADD Stealth Fighter on our 2019 over the weekend. It's winch capable, but you are limited on the winch you can fit back there due to tight fitment of the bumper.

Here's a lateral view so you can see how much room is available for your footing:

If this is something you're interested in, please let me know and we can help put a full package together for you.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:18 AM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
my Fab Four matrix bumper allows me to step on it, used it this past week doing the oil and fuel filter change. My truck also has adaptive cruise control and works fine after relocating

Old 10-04-2019, 08:02 PM
jlamb02910
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick-ApolloOptics
Just put an ADD Stealth Fighter on our 2019 over the weekend. It's winch capable, but you are limited on the winch you can fit back there due to tight fitment of the bumper.

Here's a lateral view so you can see how much room is available for your footing:

If this is something you're interested in, please let me know and we can help put a full package together for you.
I have that bumper and a Warn winch mounted behind it. I had to use some aluminum billet wedges I made to raise and tilt the winch forward in order for it to fit without smashing up against the radiator.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Fab man 235
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranch Hand !
Do some research, looking at fit and strength for a winch that’s going to be used to actually pull is important.
I’m using a I-9000 on a receiver plate mount for versatility, then I can use it on front or rear.
And I use it on my trailer if needed there.
Wiring in switches so you can shut off power is important to Incase of a wreck it won’t ground out.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:16 AM
Maiden666
Airbus driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Fab, where do you keep the winch when not using it? Thanks.....

Old 10-06-2019, 11:34 AM
Fab man 235
Junior User
I have it locked in the tool box in the bed, if I’m not going to need it I’ll leave it in the shop

Old 10-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Nick-ApolloOptics
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jlamb02910
I have that bumper and a Warn winch mounted behind it. I had to use some aluminum billet wedges I made to raise and tilt the winch forward in order for it to fit without smashing up against the radiator.
Which WARN are you running?

The only winch with confirmed fitment in that bumper is the Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 SR.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:55 AM
Lawne3585
New User
Buckstop bumper

Buckstop bumper with warn 16500 winch

Old 10-11-2019, 07:14 PM
jlamb02910
Junior User
Which WARN are you running?

The only winch with confirmed fitment in that bumper is the Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 SR.
Zeon 12S. Bought it as a package. Fits fine with the wedges.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Nick-ApolloOptics
Former Vendor
Zeon 12S. Bought it as a package. Fits fine with the wedges.
Would be very curious to know more about the wedges you installed. A lot of our clients want to run the big Zeon winches, but space limitations are an issue. Can you send me more detail on what you used?

Old 10-16-2019, 08:58 PM
jlamb02910
Junior User
Would be very curious to know more about the wedges you installed. A lot of our clients want to run the big Zeon winches, but space limitations are an issue. Can you send me more detail on what you used?
I have a drawing I made to have them cut. I will work on getting that. The issue I had was the winch was pushed tight against the radiator when you try and install the bumper. I couldn't get the bumper to bolt up without damaging the radiator. The wedges were the length of base of the winch roughly 1-1/2" tall at the rear and 1/4" at the front. The front was slotted to allow for the front bolt to fit through the bumper, the wedge and into the recessed nut in the winch. The rear of the wedge has a 1/2" hole cut in it to receive the rear bolt. This all allowed for a little play room to adjust the whole thing. When installed it raised the front of the winch base enough so that it could push forward, beyond the base of the bumper. The angels of the wedge tilted the whole winch forward a few degrees to provide space between it and the radiator and, even more importantly allowed the which to be centered. Prior to the wedge angling it forward the winch motor hit hard against the passenger side bumper mount and just wouldn't fit. The wedges solved both the lack of space with the radiator and the interference with the passenger bumper mount. I will try and get the wedge drawing and a couple installed pictures to show you.

It was frustrating as hell but I was fortunate enough to have the tools, patience and knowhow to find a bush fix. I really didn't want to have to return the winch and have to settle for something else.

Worked slick as hell and was simple as could be once I figured out the angles and stuff. Fits like a glove now.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:52 AM
Jetjock15
Cross-Country
I run that bumper too. With a warn vr12k. It fits fine no spacers but I had to move the control box is all

Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 PM
Nick-ApolloOptics
Former Vendor
I have a drawing I made to have them cut. I will work on getting that. The issue I had was the winch was pushed tight against the radiator when you try and install the bumper. I couldn't get the bumper to bolt up without damaging the radiator. The wedges were the length of base of the winch roughly 1-1/2" tall at the rear and 1/4" at the front. The front was slotted to allow for the front bolt to fit through the bumper, the wedge and into the recessed nut in the winch. The rear of the wedge has a 1/2" hole cut in it to receive the rear bolt. This all allowed for a little play room to adjust the whole thing. When installed it raised the front of the winch base enough so that it could push forward, beyond the base of the bumper. The angels of the wedge tilted the whole winch forward a few degrees to provide space between it and the radiator and, even more importantly allowed the which to be centered. Prior to the wedge angling it forward the winch motor hit hard against the passenger side bumper mount and just wouldn't fit. The wedges solved both the lack of space with the radiator and the interference with the passenger bumper mount. I will try and get the wedge drawing and a couple installed pictures to show you.

It was frustrating as hell but I was fortunate enough to have the tools, patience and knowhow to find a bush fix. I really didn't want to have to return the winch and have to settle for something else.

Worked slick as hell and was simple as could be once I figured out the angles and stuff. Fits like a glove now.
Appreciate that! I'll definitely use this to recommend folks who want to run the big boy winches with the ADD bumper.

Originally Posted by Jetjock15
I run that bumper too. With a warn vr12k. It fits fine no spacers but I had to move the control box is all
We used this method before when developing winch kits fo the Gen 2 Raptor. Moving the control box on the VR-series winches definitely helps. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 AM
jlamb02910
Junior User
Here are a few shots of the wedges installed and a shot of the passenger side bumper mounting flange that I needed to clear to center the winch

Driver's rear

Driver"s rear

Driver's side wedge looking from the passenger's side

Passenger's side

You can see how close the motor is next to the flange on the bumper mount. Passenger's side. Without the ability to push the whole thing up you couldn't center the winch. It just makes it with the wedge installed

Drawing of the wedge. It's made of billet aluminum.

Last edited by jlamb02910; 10-20-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Nick-ApolloOptics
Former Vendor
Here are a few shots of the wedges installed and a shot of the passenger side bumper mounting flange that I needed to clear to center the winch

Driver's rear

Driver"s rear

Driver's side wedge looking from the passenger's side

Passenger's side

You can see how close the motor is next to the flange on the bumper mount. Passenger's side. Without the ability to push the whole thing up you couldn't center the winch. It just makes it with the wedge installed

Drawing of the wedge. It's made of billet aluminum.
That is awesome!

Thank you!