2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Would appreciate help with antenna cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 05:48 PM
dbraynor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would appreciate help with antenna cable

I've always stood on my tires to clean the windshield. I slipped off the front passenger side tire and caught my right arm on the antenna and bent it. I tried to ease it back and fatigued the metal and broke the bracket. I have new cable and mast, but the mount base is one piece with the cable. I have the cable detached front the sound system and have the cowl cover up, but can't seem to see the grommet to pull the wire out. It looks like the entry point is either behind the fender or down low on the fire wall. I can't find it and don't want to start tearing things up. Boy is it packed in and under the dash! Do I have to remove the wheel well liner? Thanks. I've scoured this site and the web and apparently I am the only person to ever break the antenna base.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 213 Posts
Old 09-09-2019, 08:49 PM
mwheue
More Turbo
Received 137 Likes on 96 Posts
Old 09-10-2019, 06:53 AM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dbraynor
I've always stood on my tires to clean the windshield. I slipped off the front passenger side tire and caught my right arm on the antenna and bent it. I tried to ease it back and fatigued the metal and broke the bracket. I have new cable and mast, but the mount base is one piece with the cable. I have the cable detached front the sound system and have the cowl cover up, but can't seem to see the grommet to pull the wire out. It looks like the entry point is either behind the fender or down low on the fire wall. I can't find it and don't want to start tearing things up. Boy is it packed in and under the dash! Do I have to remove the wheel well liner? Thanks. I've scoured this site and the web and apparently I am the only person to ever break the antenna base.
I had the bracket break off in an automatic car wash (the mast comes off now when going through...never had an issue before this one fateful day). Once I saw the work involved I cheated and bent the metal clips back on the bracket end, slid the bracket and mast base off the wire, did the same in the new wire/bracket and slid the new bracket onto the existing wire. It's just coax cable. The dealer wanted three hours labor to run the wire due to the work involved fishing it through the dash/firewall etc, and I didn't feel like tearing the whole cab apart to fix something I rarely use for it's intended purpose (I listen to pandora through Apple CarPlay, the antenna is a depth gauge for parking garages etc). My fix works 100%, and saved hours of grief. My two cents.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Diesel_dans_psd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might try tieing pull string to the end of the coax, and use it as a pull string to pull the new coax back from the fender hole to the radio area.
A small tube of nylon pull string can be purchased a home depot or menards for a few bucks.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM
dbraynor
Senior User
Thanks everyone for the help. Really appreciate all the suggestions. mwheue your link to the F-150 site really helped a lot, but I went NStorm's way. I tried pulling the wheel liner back and reach up to pull the grommet as I was not looking forward to pulling the liner. Couldn't reach. Took NStorm's brilliant advice....easy peesy back in biz! Just pull the cowl cover up, pull the broken end up, undo the metal crimp and pull. Pops right out. Unscrew #3 7mm bolts and remove broken piece. From new cable pack, undo the metal crimp from the new base and fit coax into it. It can only go in one way very easy. Crimp it. It's a 90 degree retainer. I had a small amount of rust on the retainer that needs to be crimped so I put some dielectric on it. Bolts back in x 3. Put cowl cover back. It clips in place with palm pressure. Reconnected existing orange coax to audio. FIXED! I am leaving the glove box hanging one more day as I'm gonna change the cabin filter while it's apart. Thanks so much everyone. The help here has always been great so I became a contributing member today.

part number w/ old broken base

Stick cable end to new base

Broken base with retainer

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dbraynor
Thanks everyone for the help. Really appreciate all the suggestions. mwheue your link to the F-150 site really helped a lot, but I went NStorm's way. I tried pulling the wheel liner back and reach up to pull the grommet as I was not looking forward to pulling the liner. Couldn't reach. Took NStorm's brilliant advice....easy peesy back in biz! Just pull the cowl cover up, pull the broken end up, undo the metal crimp and pull. Pops right out. Unscrew #3 7mm bolts and remove broken piece. From new cable pack, undo the metal crimp from the new base and fit coax into it. It can only go in one way very easy. Crimp it. It's a 90 degree retainer. I had a small amount of rust on the retainer that needs to be crimped so I put some dielectric on it. Bolts back in x 3. Put cowl cover back. It clips in place with palm pressure. Reconnected existing orange coax to audio. FIXED! I am leaving the glove box hanging one more day as I'm gonna change the cabin filter while it's apart. Thanks so much everyone. The help here has always been great so I became a contributing member today.

part number w/ old broken base

Stick cable end to new base

Broken base with retainer
Glad it worked! Sometimes the juice just isn't worth the squeeze...a cable is a cable is a cable. Enjoy!

Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 PM
dbraynor
Senior User
Thanks again! Save a boat load of work and time.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Nursekristi1981
New User
So basically You bought the whole new part, and removed the new base from cable, and then removed old broken base from cable in truck and exchanged the bases and it worked?

Old 02-01-2020, 10:24 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nursekristi1981
So basically You bought the whole new part, and removed the new base from cable, and then removed old broken base from cable in truck and exchanged the bases and it worked?
Yes! Piece of cake.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:24 AM
Nursekristi1981
New User
Originally Posted by NStorm
Yes! Piece of cake.
I am going to get it and try it!
Thanks so much!

Old 02-02-2020, 06:11 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,825 Likes on 1,371 Posts
May I suggest this for future cleanings?:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...BoCK6IQAvD_BwE

Old 02-02-2020, 06:31 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 979 Likes on 598 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy

I've had one of those for many, many years. It barely goes over my 325/65's but it does work. Nice when it's time to RainX or Aquapel the windshield.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:39 AM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy

That's awesome!

Old 02-02-2020, 07:58 AM
claf
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts