2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Has anyone dropped headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 12:01 PM
cferguson77
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone dropped headliner

I'm wanting to run some wire along the ceiling for a rear dash cam. I searched and really haven't found anything really useful on here. Truck is a 2017 F450 kr with the sunroof.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:26 PM
MJD438
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will try to add pictures later, but here is a written description of how I ran my BlackVue in a 2019 F250 CCSB LU.
  1. Ran from the camera to the overhang for the mirror assembly; tucked cables under plastic there and pulled towards the windshield.
  2. Using a plastic wedge tool, pushed the cable behind the headliner along the front where it meets the windshield. I was able to push it back almost 3/4" inch without having to pull the headliner off. Ran the wire along the driver's edge of the headliner to the A pillar.
  3. Loosely draped the wire down the A pillar and then stuffed it behind the plastic trim to run around towards the driver's door. Once I had that path run, gently tucked the wire behind the "carpeted" portion of the A pillar (the downward angle of the headliner - same process, wedge tool to gently push it behind and out of sight.
  4. Pulled the top portion of the driver's door weather stripping gently out of the way with the wedge tool and pushed the wire behind it to get to the B pillar.
  5. Pushed the wire below the lip of the plastic trim on the B pillar until I got to the driver's rear door.
  6. Repeated step 4, running the wire inside of the weatherstripping for the driver's rear door back to the C pillar.
  7. Repeated step 5, running the wire inside the plastic trim on the C-pillar until I got to the rear of the cab.
  8. Ran the cable up the window/headliner seam to the top of the window.
  9. I then ran the cable using the 3m stick on clips provided with my kit along the extended portion of the window slide rail.
  10. Installed the camera on the driver's side glass as close to the sliding window as I could.
  11. I tucked the extra cord down the rear plastic fascia piece after I got the camera installed.
The only visible cords that I have are the couple of inches at the front camera to the mirror mount and the 2' from the rear corner to the rear camera along the rail. Since the rail and cord are black, it is not noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Last edited by MJD438; 08-06-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Format
Old 08-06-2019, 12:35 PM
titus_4
Tuned
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts
I did the same thing as MJD said above. Very easy with a trim tool to hid the wire at the edge of the headliner and along weather seal of door. Had mine in for a few weeks now and haven't had any of the wire become visible. Can't keep the camera stuck to the windshield in the sun but that's another issue.

FWIW, I also have a sunroof and I wouldn't mess around with taking the headliner.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:58 PM
pdose
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I also installed a BlackVue 2 channel and used plastic trim tools to push the wiring behind the visible edge. Haven’t had any issues with it. I would try to stay away from dropping headliners. I’ve done the job before and while it’s not typically hard, it’s a pain due to shape and fingerprint awareness

Old 08-06-2019, 01:24 PM
cferguson77
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys! I like that method a lot better than trying to pull the headliner down! I'm not always the most gentle and I was worried about damaging the headliner. Lol.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:00 PM
StonedGrey
Laughing Gas
Received 99 Likes on 59 Posts
The headliner is easy to drop down. Takes me about 8mins to drop. But i drop headliners for a living.
The only issue with dropping these headliners is the coat hooks in the rear. Theres a little cover piece covering the screw for the hooks. The little cover piece likes to break off at the hinge point. Can be hot glued back into place. The headliner is very forgiving and does not wrinkle easily.

Remove both visors, visor hooks, & coat hooks. Theres 2 clips at the very back of the headliner that come loose with a good tug. The overhead console comes down with a good tug(held in place by clips).

Then put your finger in the hole where the visor is screwed in and pull it down a bit. Then finnagle the headliner out from behind the A pilar cover. Then pull the headliner out from behind the B & C pillars. It should fall down then. Reverse the process to put back up.