Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Ignition electrical issue 88 f350 7.3 idi

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Devin Berger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok thats alot to keep up with and reply to lol. First off the ignition switch is in factory location on steering column underneath/ behind dash. Lower portion of sterring column. Second ive pull the switch and manuelly moved the switch to start position by hand. Same issue. No lights at on only light and no crank in start position.
The diagram that was posted only shows me 3 of the 10 wires going to or from ignition switch. I need to know what the rest are

Old 07-16-2019, 02:58 PM
6.9lbluenose
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Devin Berger
Ok thats alot to keep up with and reply to lol. First off the ignition switch is in factory location on steering column underneath/ behind dash. Lower portion of sterring column. Second ive pull the switch and manuelly moved the switch to start position by hand. Same issue. No lights at on only light and no crank in start position.
The diagram that was posted only shows me 3 of the 10 wires going to or from ignition switch. I need to know what the rest are

Other wires are gonna be for accessories, lights etc. Nothing to do with cranking. This diagram is just for your starting system. With old vehicles you often gotta trace by feel, sight or multimeter to figure out wiring instead of relying on diagrams and colour codes. Part of the fun and battle of owning and maintaining.

When you get back at the vehicle

1) Forget about the other wires for now
2) Identiy which of the wires at the ignition switch is for the starting system by tracing it from the neutral safety switch.
3) With ignition set to start, what is the voltage on that starter system wire at the ignition switch.
4) If it’s lower than 12v then jump the hot wire coming into the ignition to that starter wire. If it cranks then you know it’s inside the switch and you need to address the gear inside the ignition switch like everyone has suggested.

Let us know if you have any other questions. You got enough info here to get a good start on fixing the issues. Good luck. Wiring can be a bit**

Old 07-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Devin Berger
New User
I will do like you said but its not the switch itself i know that for a fact i have 2 new ones that i switched it out with to test the switch same issue as the old one

Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"i have an 88 f350. Sat for over a year."

This ^^^^^^^ from the Original Post says a lot also, you know Mice Love wiring ...

check where the main harnesses go from the engine compartment into the Cab too.

and yes all the wiring diagrams I have are broken up into "systems" like Starting, Charging, Wipers etc etc etc the IGN switch is shown in a dozen places ....

Old 07-17-2019, 07:50 PM
Devin Berger
New User
Im not getting power to the top post on the starter solinoid. I assume the only fix for it is to replace it. Do you think that is the issue with the key not turning the lights on in the on position?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:06 PM
6.9lbluenose
Freshman User
Im not getting power to the top post on the starter solinoid. I assume the only fix for it is to replace it. Do you think that is the issue with the key not turning the lights on in the on position?

Your not not quite on the right track yet. If you refer to the starting cuircuit you will see how the power runs to the solenoid. You need to find out where you loose the power. You originally said you didn’t have power at the out wire on the ignition switch. Did you follow the steps I outlined to you before?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
IF you are not getting Power to the top POST of the starter Solenoid then you have an issue with the Battery Cable

The Top Post on the starter solenoid is on the starter itself it connects direct to the battery the small Terminal goes to the starter RELAY the other Large post on the starter Relay goes direct to the battery also.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Earlier ... you said you could jump the small terminal on the starter to the top Post and it started...... I'm CornFused now

Old 07-17-2019, 09:21 PM
6.9lbluenose
Freshman User
Which post are you referring too?

I assumed top post you referred too was the smaller guage post on the top of the right hand side of this picture

Old 07-17-2019, 09:22 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
As far as the small Terminals on the Starter Relay... one goes direct to Ground the other small terminal goes thru the wire harness and either goes to the switch on your Clutch Pedal that you need to Hold down before it will start OR it goes thru the Neutral Safety switch on the Automatic transmission which needs to be in Park or Neutral to start.. From either switch it then goes to the Ignition Switch and gets Power only in the Start position.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:31 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
the small post on the starter Solenoid that has the yellow Ring Terminal in 6.9lbluenose's Picture goes Straight to the Starter Relay that is up on your Fender well.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:59 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since your 5speed you could try disconnecting the clutch safety switch plug and jumping it with either a fuse or a piece of wire just to rule that out.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:10 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast
Since your 5speed you could try disconnecting the clutch safety switch plug and jumping it with either a fuse or a piece of wire just to rule that out.
Yes this is true but in his Original Post he said he replaced his Neutral Safety switch

Old 07-17-2019, 11:13 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lonewolf_
Yes this is true but in his Original Post he said he replaced his Neutral Safety switch
Then I would check the fuseable links that feed the ignition switch. Power is lost somewhere

Old 07-17-2019, 11:40 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast
Then I would check the fuseable links that feed the ignition switch. Power is lost somewhere

Yep, everything for the start circuit I think has been covered in Great Detail ..... I just don't know what else to add.

EDIT: Even the Mickey Mouse chewing the wires was covered

Quick Reply: Ignition electrical issue 88 f350 7.3 idi