2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Thinking of switching to gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:37 PM
ejb69
More Turbo
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
I have the 6.2. It works fine for what I do. I don’t see the need for the 7.3 gas. But I could get by with a 150 with the heavy pay load and max tow packages. When you add those options to the 150 , the 250 seemed to be a better buy. I have never gotten less than 10 mpg with my 6.2. It averages 13.4 mpg.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 PM
JD'sBigredv10
More Turbo
Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts
I don't think the OP was looking to start a diesel vs. gas thread but he did.

I believe the wise financial decision if to stick with the truck you have. It sounds like you bought it used, so somebody else took the depreciation hit. Now you've made a couple years of payments. From a financial sense, it doesn't make sense to start the clock all over again.

If you simply want a new truck, I get it. If you're looking to make a new truck more affordable, the biggest impact is choosing gas over diesel. A gas STX or XLT is a great value. Or if you have the budget for a diesel XLT, you can get a nicely loaded 6.2 Lariat for the same price.

I have only made one long tow (1600 miles) with my 6.7 and 12,000 pound fifth wheel. It was quiet and effortless. I truly loved every second of it. Not a direct comparison to the 6.2, but my previous Super Duty was 2005 lifted 6.8 with 35s and 4.88 gears. That thing was a beast towing our 9,000 pound bumper pull. That truck could pull any grade, at the speed limit, in third or fourth gear. Did it scream sometimes? Sure. Two different towing experiences with the same end result. We got where we were going.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:17 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,739 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Originally Posted by Cabindweller
I get 11.5mpg pulling my 13k pound fifth wheel. Can’t do that with a gasser (regardless of what TFL says). Also, all of my diesels have held their value better at trade-in than any of my gas trucks. I always trade in at about 3 years old.
2016 F250 6.2L Lariat - $37,559 average trade-in value
2016 F250 6.7L Lariat - $43,787 average trade-in value

A difference of $6,228

You paid $8-9k for the diesel option. A loss of $1772 - $2772 in 3 years and 40k miles (the mileage I used). That number gets bigger every year. They don't hold better value...you paid for that upfront (and pay interest on it if you financed the truck).

$2k buys a lot of gas to make up the 5mpg difference the few times a year people go camping (and 60+ cents cheaper per gallon day-to-day (in my area anyways)).

Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 PM
ExDakotaOwner
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Nothing wrong with that.

youll have to order it how you want. I was lucky to find mine at a good price. I even test drove an XL gas dually but overpriced. I wanted long bed specifically.

Best of luck.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:49 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,739 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Originally Posted by George C
Wow...
Dyno numbers don’t lie. Those happy towing heavy with the 6.2L...well, I guess we can talk ourselves into being happy, but the quiet truth always remains..
The 7.3L Ford is releasing isn’t reinventing physics and magically making a lower compression engine into a low RPM torque monster. It is a large displacement old school push rod gas engine.... simple as that.. it’s perfect for the fleet owner..simple..and the fleet owner doesn’t have to drive them.

If we think it’s going to be a break-thru of some kind, I think people are going to be bitterly disappointed. If we think it’s going to hold a candle to the modern 6.7L...order it. I wish you well, and spend the couple bucks on something that will keep convincing you how happy you are..
When reality hits, and we find out that it is ..exactly.. what it is, and that’s HALF...HALF of the power at a higher RPM, and a single digit MPG, then don’t come back complaining like it’s a surprise....although I can hear it now.

In the meantime, I’ll play the 100% odds and take the sure thing with the 1015#...
Show me on the doll where the gas motor touched you...

Look, people aren't saying a gasser can compete with a diesel for heavy towing. What they are saying is that for those that don't tow heavy weekly, the gas engine accomplishes the job just fine at a lower cost to purchase, to maintain, to own, and NO BS emissions crap to deal with or cause down-time. My 6.2L tows 10k every couple months just fine and dandy! I'm not "talking myself into being happy". I am happy I don't have to drive away from the dealer in a loaner car while my diesel is in the shop for emissions repairs (like my last one).

Basing everything on dyno numbers is just ignorant. Sounds like you are the one with a grudge against gassers for some reason...jealous they are keeping up with you on the highway while towing now?

Old 07-13-2019, 11:58 PM
StonedGrey
Laughing Gas
Received 99 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
2016 F250 6.2L Lariat - $37,559 average trade-in value
2016 F250 6.7L Lariat - $43,787 average trade-in value

A difference of $6,228

You paid $8-9k for the diesel option. A loss of $1772 - $2772 in 3 years and 40k miles (the mileage I used). That number gets bigger every year. They don't hold better value...you paid for that upfront (and pay interest on it if you financed the truck).

$2k buys a lot of gas to make up the 5mpg difference the few times a year people go camping (and 60+ cents cheaper per gallon day-to-day (in my area anyways)).
Moooooooooot

Old 07-14-2019, 12:02 AM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm heading the other direction. After two lemon 6.2 SD trucks in a row (a 2018 F250 and a 2019 F250) , I'm done with Gas on the Super Duty for now. Picking up my new 2019 F250 with 6.7 PSD next week. I got to drive it for the day already, and wow - I'm in love (yes, my first diesel truck). Rethinking my choice of username now...

Old 07-14-2019, 12:06 AM
ctimrun
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Show me on the doll where the gas motor touched you...
Haha, good one.

I’ve had both gas and diesel, they both have good and bad just have to decide what works best for you. I currently have a diesel, but I’m thinking a gas dually with a gooseneck bed may be my next truck. Definitely would rather have a gas truck out of warranty than the diesel. In the meantime will keep using what I’ve got.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 AM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ctimrun
Haha, good one.

I’ve had both gas and diesel, they both have good and bad just have to decide what works best for you. I currently have a diesel, but I’m thinking a gas dually with a gooseneck bed may be my next truck. Definitely would rather have a gas truck out of warranty than the diesel. In the meantime will keep using what I’ve got.
You sir are not allowed to play with the rest of us. You are way too levelheaded to be in this conversation.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 AM
boxrbus
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People who buy gas Superdutys would probably also buy Mustangs with 4 cylinders!!!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:41 AM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hell, I’m thinking of a Ford electric truck.

yes, they are coming.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:52 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 944 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by JD'sBigredv10
I don't think the OP was looking to start a diesel vs. gas thread but he did.
Isn't that always the way? Some make the level headed response to get what makes him happy and don't worry about what others think. Others will post simply to defend their own purchase or denigrate the other guy's choice to justify their own choice.
The guy is looking for some input from either side to make a decision, not the old "diesel great, gas sucks" or vice versa. Those type statements help no one.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:20 AM
Bruin78
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by boxrbus
People who buy gas Superdutys would probably also buy Mustangs with 4 cylinders!!!
I have a 6.2L, but this is a good one😂!

OP, I’m really impressed with my 2019 6.2. I have 3:73 and it tows my fifth wheel great. Loaded I’m about 8500lbs and don’t even feel it back there. These are great trucks, sure mpg towing isn’t what a diesel would get but unloaded it’s pretty close. Only a few mpg shy of what my friends get with there 6.7L. I could have bought the 6.7 but same as you in truck sitting for long periods. Truck is Not my daily driver and I felt I wouldn’t being using a diesel how it should be used. No regrets in my choice, good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:23 AM
RVAExpedition
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99150
IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO FINANCIAL SENSE TO OWN ANY KIND OF TRUCK UNLESS IT IS WORKING AND MAKING YOU MONEY! PERIOD!
It doesn’t matter.......gas.......diesel........push pedal.......whatever........it is all the same.
We use these trucks to pull our toys, campers, boats, etc.
Drive what you want and what works for you.
My thoughts exactly. I love mine that I just got a month ago but like I told the salesman if I didn’t use it every day for my business I would be buying a mustang instead. Much better mpg and fun to drive. And for the price of my STX which isn’t even fancy I could’ve gotten a very nicely optioned mustang. I definitely don’t drive a truck to feel better about myself and no one should. I drive first and foremost what I need and then what makes me happy.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 148 Likes on 73 Posts
The gas vs diesel threads always sink to the point I stop reading them. This one is a little different...Heres my perspective....
I just ordered my 250 Lariat with 6.2/4.30s. Only have 2,000 miles but Im loving it. I spent the diesel money on comfort. I rarely tow or haul. Im just a heavy duty truck kind of guy. For the most part a half ton seems like a car to me. Ive never owned a diesel pick up. But Ive owned 4 Peterbilts. Ive driven Macks, Autocars,Petes, I learned on a Brockway. I hauled everything but refrigerated. I specialized in heavy haul and over-dimensional. Lots of machinery. I love diesels. The way they were meant to be before uncle sam put all this BS on them. Now I am scared of all the tech. Even with my new gasser. I spent 7 years driving a low bed hauling machinery for a paving and excavating company, in an older Autocar with a 290 Cummins and an 8 spd tranny. Dont know what rears but pretty low. Probably some of you deleted guys are putting out more torque than that truck. I pulled D-8 Cats and 330 excavators, PC 400s. gross vehicle weights well exceeding 100,000 lbs at times close to 150,000. I wished for a bigger engine every day. But I was fine.
Now I work for a government agency. I always have cost limitations so I have a few mason dumps with V-10s. I have one with 5.36 gears and one with 4.88s. They plow and haul as good as a diesel. But fuel economy never reaches 5 mpg. Everythings a trade off.
I need a 4x4 to get to work in blizzards and hurricanes. I Like a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton. If diesels progressed without government intrusion I would certainly be driving one now.
The OP already has a nice truck with low miles. Sits a lot. Any cost of ownership analysis has to be divided by miles traveled. As few miles as hes using the truck those costs go way up. In the long run he could have a nearly new truck with very low miles, paid for in full for years. Could use that truck for 15 years no problem at all.
I just sold my 2007 GMC 2500 to buy the SD and it still only had 125,000 miles. 12 years of trouble free use. Paid off in 4...
So if you want a new truck dont look for economic sense. If you want a new truck order exactly what you want because thats a cool part of the ownership experience. A 6.2/4.30 will be able to do what you want. Sound of the engine is very cool. I prefer lower gears. No one is buying any of these trucks for fuel economy. Lots of people are driving big diesel trucks as grocery getters and commuters. Lots of people are towing max loads or above with gas engines. Im afraid of the new rucks and vehicles in general because of high tech complexity. I never bought an extended warranty in my life until this 2019. I went for 10 years and 100,000 miles. Just one mirror motor will cover the first 15% or 20% of the cost of warranty.
My sister has a new BMX X-3. Every time I drive it I get infuriated by tech limitations. Its been in the dealer half a dozen times in 6 months for BS tech related issues.
OK Im done.

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching to gas