2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Thinking of switching to gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 08:32 AM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishwater2002
Fortunately we don’t have state sales taxes where I live but we do have pretty stiff registration costs so it will cost a few bucks there. The loss of equity & trade value is a worry, not sure how to work around that unfortunately.

Your loss of equity is relative to what you paid. It seems some people think the magical money that diesels give you at trade or sale is free money that you never paid for. That is wrong. You paid more for the truck so it will be worth more. Gas trucks are worth less as they were bought at 8k or more less than there diesel counterparts. In your situation and many others diesel is a break even cost of ownership at best for what you paid for the diesel option and to feed it. Unless you drive a ton of miles you will never see a benefit of owing a diesel other than power and satisfaction. So you can trade it off or sell it buy a gas truck and never look back cause if you do you will go buy a diesel again. Get what is best for your situation. Do not worry what others think. You will never make financial sense in owning a diesel. Drive it cause you like it. Nothing wrong with that. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2019, 08:46 AM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Received 173 Likes on 140 Posts
I made the switch 2 years ago trading in my '12 F-250 PSD on my '17 gasser. Like you, mine sat a lot and only had 56K on it when traded. I was also getting tired of the higher costs of maintenance but boy was it a towing beast and I miss that part of it. My '17 tows my 9K travel trailer well and averages in the 9mpg range with the 3.73's. I only tow locally with the longest trips around 100 miles or so. I miss the power of the diesel but not the maintenance or the potential higher costs of repair if something catastrophic would fail. I like the simplicity of my STX trim and it has everything I needed/wanted for towing.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 AM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 276 Likes on 167 Posts
Mine is 2 years old and just turned 18k miles. When it's driven it's towing or hauling. No regrets here either. I love it. The gas mileage is what it is and I don't really care since I get the same as my buddies do with Ford or ram 6.7's. They might get a couple mpgs better empty but not enough to justify the extra cost. Sure the power is nice but the 6.2 has lots of power too provided you know how to drive it.

I ordered red mine since there was no way I was going to fine he on a lot. Basic xlt with a couple add-ons.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
I went back to gas and never looked back, until the next day. I bought it for plowing, so I'll be keeping it. Definitely half the towing power..
A new 2020 Powerstroke to be ordered in August. I'm going straight back to diesel, and never leaving again. Power is the MAIN draw to a heavy duty truck IMO, and the very area to be conservative.
One fact though, I tend to trade just outside of warranty.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe that this may be in fact pretty sure this will be my last of many oil burners. Have very high expectations for the new 7.3. Have even through a big RV buddy of mine that some of the motorhome folks have already been working with Ford to use this motor. That if true means good things as people in general would like to replace with gas if possible because of the high costs of repair and upkeep on new new diesels.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Tsubakihara
Laughing Gas
Received 205 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbman P
You could get a long bed with the 48 gallon tank......
My son really likes his 6.2L and so do I. Most we’ve pulled is 12K lbs but it felt very adequate. I enjoyed the drive and the V8 gas motor sounds great. Runs stronger than our 6.0 GMC (3/4 ton Yukon XL, 4.10) and the 03’ F350 V10, 4.30. These are the only two gassers I can compare too that I pulled the same trailer with.

Last edited by Tsubakihara; 07-13-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old 07-13-2019, 11:51 AM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Where I am diesel is cheaper than gas.

If the diesel is 9k new and you trade in and it gives you 6k more then it only costed you 3k for the better mileage and more power for 4-5 years. Higher maintenance costs, for what? Some fuel filters once every year, at least you don't have to buy and pay for install of spark plugs! (lol) If you live near the mountains, like I do in BC, then the diesel and towing are a given. When I used to tow with my F150 the RPMS and fuel mileage were the 2 things that sucked. With my 17 PSD I don't worry about either. I'll just trade it in at 4-5 years and keep up with technology etc. Last year my one long haul was 7000 miles towing and the 17 did it with ease. This year I will be hauling even heavier with a slide in camper and the enclosed car trailer so I might have another opinion in a couple of weeks...wish me luck!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:56 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,412 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Thanks Tsubakihara for posting the rear axle ratios of your previous vehicles, as that is a critical data point in any gas engine towing comparison.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:26 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,778 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Diesel is more expensive to buy, maintain, drive, repair (in some cases, register/insure too), and you will lose thousands when you trade it in. It's just a fact, and something to consider if cost is a factor. Fuel mileage on new diesels keeps going down as well. TFLtruck did a comparison between a 5.0L F150 and a 6.7L F250 towing 9k. The F150 was within about 1/2mpg of the diesel. I was quite impressed (or disgusted...depending on what side of the fence you are on) Yes, the gas SD will get slightly less (heavier truck, bigger engine), but the price of gas vs diesel will make that difference null and void.

Is all that worth the extra power? (or whatever bragging rights or testosterone deficiency one may have). That's up to the buyer to decide.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:56 PM
StonedGrey
Laughing Gas
Received 99 Likes on 59 Posts
You already own the diesel. Why are you looking to downgrade?
You feel guilty the diesel is not working hard sitting in your driveway?

sounds like you just want the newer looks of the 17+ but don't want to drop the coin for the diesel. so is this all to impress the neighbors with a newer driveway ornament?

You stated you barely drive it. So the new one you buy will barely be driven too. All that will change is the way the new truck looks in your driveway.

A new truck will cost you more money then keeping the almost brand new one in your driveway. Theres no way to justify buying a newer truck diesel or gas.
Your current truck is not worn out physically.
You will lose money even if the new truck has a sticker $20K less then the current one was. Nobody goes to the dealership and walks out with a new ride and more money in their account.

As the OP stated, only really uses the truck a few times a year for towing. So why downgrade your towing experience for more money?

Im totally confused by this thread.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I didn’t need a diesel, I wouldn’t own one. I absolutely hate everything about them. Unfortunately, I need and own one. But maybe I’ll get the 7.3 gasser eventually as I think it might handle my needs.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Cabindweller
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Diesel is more expensive to buy, maintain, drive, repair (in some cases, register/insure too), and you will lose thousands when you trade it in. It's just a fact, and something to consider if cost is a factor. Fuel mileage on new diesels keeps going down as well. TFLtruck did a comparison between a 5.0L F150 and a 6.7L F250 towing 9k. The F150 was within about 1/2mpg of the diesel. I was quite impressed (or disgusted...depending on what side of the fence you are on) Yes, the gas SD will get slightly less (heavier truck, bigger engine), but the price of gas vs diesel will make that difference null and void.

Is all that worth the extra power? (or whatever bragging rights or testosterone deficiency one may have). That's up to the buyer to decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T728x3Gkg98

I get 11.5mpg pulling my 13k pound fifth wheel. Can’t do that with a gasser (regardless of what TFL says). Also, all of my diesels have held their value better at trade-in than any of my gas trucks. I always trade in at about 3 years old.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,676 Likes on 1,658 Posts
IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO FINANCIAL SENSE TO OWN ANY KIND OF TRUCK UNLESS IT IS WORKING AND MAKING YOU MONEY! PERIOD!
It doesn’t matter.......gas.......diesel........push pedal.......whatever........it is all the same.
We use these trucks to pull our toys, campers, boats, etc.
Drive what you want and what works for you.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:23 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts
"Had" a 2008 F350 CC/LB Diesel....... 2 days ago I sold my 2015 F350 CC/LB Gasser 4:30 gears

1) In 2008 I needed a diesel to pull a18,000 5th wheel. Sold it around 2012
2) In 2015 I needed to pull a 10,000 bumper pull trailer, purchased a gasser.Loved it for THAT JOB.
3) Ordering a 2020 F350 CC/LB Diesel to pull AGAIN a 18,000 5th wheel trailer.
Life Changes....... Get the truck you want and need.............. Party On!

Old 07-13-2019, 06:12 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
Wow...
Dyno numbers don’t lie. Those happy towing heavy with the 6.2L...well, I guess we can talk ourselves into being happy, but the quiet truth always remains..
The 7.3L Ford is releasing isn’t reinventing physics and magically making a lower compression engine into a low RPM torque monster. It is a large displacement old school push rod gas engine.... simple as that.. it’s perfect for the fleet owner..simple..and the fleet owner doesn’t have to drive them.

If we think it’s going to be a break-thru of some kind, I think people are going to be bitterly disappointed. If we think it’s going to hold a candle to the modern 6.7L...order it. I wish you well, and spend the couple bucks on something that will keep convincing you how happy you are..
When reality hits, and we find out that it is ..exactly.. what it is, and that’s HALF...HALF of the power at a higher RPM, and a single digit MPG, then don’t come back complaining like it’s a surprise....although I can hear it now.

In the meantime, I’ll play the 100% odds and take the sure thing with the 1015#...

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching to gas