Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 AM
Carlos2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing A/C compressor

Good morning community

I have a 2012 F150 FX4 Echoboost

Problem : A/C system.

I took the truck to my dealer and the told me my a/c compressor needs to be change.
I'm a fairly good DIY and I have work on many things but never A/C system. I find a lot of information on changing a/c compressor and stuff online but nothing very specific to my truck.
Before I begin the job I was wondering if someone can help me on more details information for changing the compressor, evaporator and dryer.

I have questions like:
1. When changing the compressor do I have to also change change the evaporator? I know the dryer is a must.
2. How much oil and coolant will need to go back in the system? I can't find the info anywhere.
3. What kind of a vacuum pump and gages I should think of purchasing ?
4. Can I take a chance with a used compressor an evaporator if needed ?
5. Can someone help with a detail procedure ?
6. Last one, anything else I have forgotten to ask.

Thanks all in advance
Carl

Old 07-08-2019, 08:06 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
If it's a internal compressor failure you will also need to replace the condenser and orifice tube. You will also need to completely flush the system which isn't easy. How do you propose to recover the refrigerant? This is one of those projects that by the time you do it its easier and cheaper to just have it done.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
It's really fairly straight forward..... I have done my own for many decades on old school and newer stuff. The age of the vehicle is new enough that I would not have any concerns if the hoses need to be replaced.

You will need a disconnect kit...this is the one I bought to replace the "singles" I had...just got tired of needing another one every time I looked!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W1R1J0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W1R1J0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would highly recommend the MC AC Compressors...they can be purchased for about $250-$350 on amazon....they are excellent....Four Seasons does make them as well, but, I'm just not impressed with their quality. As previously mentioned, you will need a new oraface filter, New accumulator (receiver drier/desiccant as they have different names and I'm not sure about your specific vehicle as to their title) and new expansion device....you must also make sure the compressor comes with a new clutch assembly......the MC compressors come prefilled with pag oil.....4 seasons, comes with a bottle and directions...follow their instructions specifically. Yes you will need to buy the "AC Flush" solution in order to maintain your warranty but i's fairly simple to use. Pull a vacuume and you're good!

All in all, you will spend about $600-$800 for tools, parts, etc.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:44 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Exclamation

Would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you have repair performed by a certified A/C shop and technician. Anything else would be futile and co$tly.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:50 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
It's really fairly straight forward..... I have done my own for many decades on old school and newer stuff. The age of the vehicle is new enough that I would not have any concerns if the hoses need to be replaced.

You will need a disconnect kit...this is the one I bought to replace the "singles" I had...just got tired of needing another one every time I looked!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would highly recommend the MC AC Compressors...they can be purchased for about $250-$350 on amazon....they are excellent....Four Seasons does make them as well, but, I'm just not impressed with their quality. As previously mentioned, you will need a new oraface filter, New accumulator (receiver drier/desiccant as they have different names and I'm not sure about your specific vehicle as to their title) and new expansion device....you must also make sure the compressor comes with a new clutch assembly......the MC compressors come prefilled with pag oil.....4 seasons, comes with a bottle and directions...follow their instructions specifically. Yes you will need to buy the "AC Flush" solution in order to maintain your warranty but i's fairly simple to use. Pull a vacuume and you're good!

All in all, you will spend about $600-$800 for tools, parts, etc.
The accumulator and drier are not serviceable, they are serviced with a replacement condenser and that is a required component during compressor replacement.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Carlos2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for the help.

I will go to my local garage and they will remove the r134 for me. Then give it a shot.
Anyone can recommend a good youtube video for the procedure ?

Thanks for the reply

Old 07-12-2019, 09:55 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Carlos2
Thanks all for the help.

I will go to my local garage and they will remove the r134 for me. Then give it a shot.
Anyone can recommend a good youtube video for the procedure ?

Thanks for the reply
Just curious as to what exactly they said was wrong with the compressor as lots of the time it's the clutch that goes and not the actual compressor. They are repairable/replaceable and you don't have to open the system to get it done as a rule.

Griz