2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Truck goes in Monday for lots of warranty stuff...... UPDATE.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 12:27 PM
77mmbass
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Running Boards are functional, not cosmetic.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Sagnasty
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Curious about the if they will rectify this as I have the same issues in several spots on my 2019 F-250

Old 06-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Originally Posted by Gwilkrrs
mine just went in for antifreeze leak - needs the t replaced, both running boards are showing rust bubbles, and the batteries are leaking causing corrosion on the hold downs, and the heater cord recall.

17 f350- dealer told me that they would take pics and send in but ford will likely not replace the boards? I told him we will cross that bridge in a bit but I expected them to be replaces.
Originally Posted by 6.2caribou
^^^^I've had both running boards replaced on my 17 F250 for blistering chrome. Driver's side after one winter...pass side after 2 winters. I'm still in my 36/36000 warranty period. Zero issue with getting them done. All 4 PVD wheels were replaced at the same time. SA took pictures and parts were ordered while I was there for a Works oil change.
Originally Posted by Sagnasty
Curious about the if they will rectify this as I have the same issues in several spots on my 2019 F-250

Pictures, please, or the rust didn't happen.

I just mounted some Ford OEM running boards, and they were aluminum.

Does Ford offer steel running boards? Is steel what the "Chrome" cab steps are made of? Or are they highly polished aluminum? (I've never handled a "chrome" set)

The OEM cab steps I installed are definitely aluminum, factory two stage painted Carbon Black, and have the same shape and visual appearance as the "chrome" steps that I have seen on late model Ford Super Duties...

Yes aluminum corrodes, but when it corrodes, does it "blister"?

Photos of the offending areas of your running boards please, so the kind of corrosion being observed can be better understood.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Pictures, please, or the rust didn't happen.

I just mounted some Ford OEM running boards, and they were aluminum.

Does Ford offer steel running boards? Is steel what the "Chrome" cab steps are made of? Or are they highly polished aluminum? (I've never handled a "chrome" set)

The OEM cab steps I installed are definitely aluminum, factory two stage painted Carbon Black, and have the same shape and visual appearance as the "chrome" steps that I have seen on late model Ford Super Duties...

Yes aluminum corrodes, but when it corrodes, does it "blister"?

Photos of the offending areas of your running boards please, so the kind of corrosion being observed can be better understood.
heading into get the truck back and will photo the areas better but here is 1

Old 06-12-2019, 06:07 PM
77mmbass
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Sagnasty
I will keep the thread updated on progress or lack of.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:08 AM
77mmbass
Mountain Pass
Well the truck was supposed to go in on Monday but the service guy said they had a mechanic call in sick so they may not get to check it out. Damn! But I guess its ok because I got to have a vehicle for a couple days.

Dropped it off this morning at 0700 and the service rep said he would call me at noon.

Dam truck ticking was nonexistent this morning.

I am hoping that if they have to keep if for a while they will give me another truck to drive so I can haul my gear for business. Ford Fusion won't cut it.

So maybe an update around noon.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 PM
77mmbass
Mountain Pass
As of today they said they realigned the hood, fender, and fixed the inside trim over the instrument cluster. When I asked about the rattling doors the service rep said he thinks they took care of it.

But they’ve had it all day and still haven’t found what the cause of the engine ticking noise is. He said they are going to get me into a rental car tomorrow... I told him it needs to be equivalent to what I drive so I can haul my gear. He said he wasn’t sure what’s available but would check.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:32 AM
NWnative
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Bummer to hear of the issues. I am 9 months in on mine and the only issue I had was the driver side camera was intermittently blanking in and out. They replaced it under warranty...problem solved. Fit and Finish on my F250 seems pretty solid.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:48 AM
BigTexDiesal
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget these are domestic vehicles not premium luxury cars. Case in point I took mine in for slight pull to right. After demanding they put on alignment rack after idiot said it was ok found everything in spec. Spec had a range of 9 degrees on caster. -2 to 7 degrees. Spec on my Lexus is 6.5degrees +/- 20 minutes or not even a degree of flexibility. I told him move to middle of spec they said no it within spec. No wonder my 152K mile Lexus still goes straight for a mile while my 7k mile F250 pulls to the right. Ford GM Chrysler are domestic transportation they will never be on the same level as the Japanese.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTexDiesal
Don't forget these are domestic vehicles not premium luxury cars. Case in point I took mine in for slight pull to right. After demanding they put on alignment rack after idiot said it was ok found everything in spec. Spec had a range of 9 degrees on caster. -2 to 7 degrees. Spec on my Lexus is 6.5degrees +/- 20 minutes or not even a degree of flexibility. I told him move to middle of spec they said no it within spec. No wonder my 152K mile Lexus still goes straight for a mile while my 7k mile F250 pulls to the right. Ford GM Chrysler are domestic transportation they will never be on the same level as the Japanese.
Fair assessment but does your Lexus also haul 3 tons in the back while towing another 1 ton behind it like my Super Duty frequently does? The front end specs are set that way for a reason.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:58 AM
BigTexDiesal
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with your statement if you need 3/4 ton and above hauling capabilities your only choice is domestic. On the flip side my wife 2017 4runner could roll down a side of a mountain after driving over rip rap for 2 hours and you would not hear a single tick, squeak or rattle and drive perfectly straight. Truth be told it rides as hard as my Superduty. Now the 4runner steering wheel feels like a tuning fork at certain RPM's, .......... The domestics have always had sloppy specifications and sloppy Quality control. My Superduty has been pretty flawless, alignment, fog light lens discolored. Had a hail storm the other night, dented my Lexus but the superduty not a mark. Pick your poison. It would cost Ford and GM very little to tighten there specs, the payback would be huge....

Old 06-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well stated and fair enough. It is still apples and oranges, tho. Solid front axle vehicles will never be as tight in the front end.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:09 PM
77mmbass
Mountain Pass
No progress on the engine noise

But they did give me a 2020 F150 to drive while they figure it out.

post picture

Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Sagnasty
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ForCal
Time to escalate it or go to another dealer, that's bs.
Granted, most of the big three automakers all have some sort of issue from time to time. However, I have never had to fight so hard to get warranty work done than I have with Ford. I have had nothing but pushback from several dealers to include corporate themselves. Hell, just trying to get someone to return a call from corporate is a shot in the dark.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:53 PM
AceRed
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Brought mine in for some warranty stuff. Told salesman first week I had it that it pulled to the left.
They charged me for alignment.
Chrome tow hooks rusting in 6 months. Denied.
Flaw in seat. Not even where you sit. Denied.
Piece of plastic improperly installed.... Yeah, they fixed it.

Very disappointed. Really peeved about the seat and tow hooks. I can almost let them get away with the alignment since I have 5k on it now but I made a point of telling the guy about a week after I purchased.

Quick Reply: Truck goes in Monday for lots of warranty stuff...... UPDATE.