1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1991 Ranger XLT 3.0 ext cab - Rear turn signals, rear lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 PM
FordMasterRace
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1991 Ranger XLT 3.0 ext cab - Rear turn signals, rear lights not working

A couple weeks ago I had to remove the bed in order to get to the fuel tank. I undid everything.. or so I thought. There was a ground to the underside of the bed that I missed!!

After installing the bed and everything I re-grounded the wire to the bed again, however I quickly learned that my rear blinkers and rear lights failed. I DO have hazards. (clarification: problems only with the rear)

Confirmed that fuses are good. Do I just need to make sure this ground is 1000000% clean as a whistle?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:21 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Yes the vehicle grounds & B+ connections need to be clean bright & tight. In removing the bed, if you stretched the ground wire, it could have broken strands unseen, inside the insulation. Sometimes the wire insulation will look skinny where its stretched, or sometimes it'll look a little lumpy where the strands are broken under the insulation. Same for the B+ connector wires back there. So, make sure the B+ connector split for both side tail lights is plugged in good & the wires & pins/sockets are in good shape & seated / locked in, not pushed back in the connector. If you are using the factory trailer light harness, make sure its plugged back in & the wires & their pins/sockets to it are in good condition & not pushed back, bent, or broken. Seeing as how fuses are ok & you have flashers, it sounds like you have a ground, so maybe use your multimeter, or 12 volt test light to make sure the lamp sockets on both sides tail lights have B+ to them at the connector where they split for both sides / where the trailer connector plugs in. If you don't have B+ to that connector, go forward inspecting wiring along the way, to the next connector until you find B+ to ground & the break will be in the wiring between, or at the two connectors pin sockets. Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:02 AM
FordMasterRace
Senior User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Yes the vehicle grounds & B+ connections need to be clean bright & tight. In removing the bed, if you stretched the ground wire, it could have broken strands unseen, inside the insulation. Sometimes the wire insulation will look skinny where its stretched, or sometimes it'll look a little lumpy where the strands are broken under the insulation. Same for the B+ connector wires back there. So, make sure the B+ connector split for both side tail lights is plugged in good & the wires & pins/sockets are in good shape & seated / locked in, not pushed back in the connector. If you are using the factory trailer light harness, make sure its plugged back in & the wires & their pins/sockets to it are in good condition & not pushed back, bent, or broken. Seeing as how fuses are ok & you have flashers, it sounds like you have a ground, so maybe use your multimeter, or 12 volt test light to make sure the lamp sockets on both sides tail lights have B+ to them at the connector where they split for both sides / where the trailer connector plugs in. If you don't have B+ to that connector, go forward inspecting wiring along the way, to the next connector until you find B+ to ground & the break will be in the wiring between, or at the two connectors pin sockets. Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.
Very good information. I appreciate it. Will attempt later today.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM
FordMasterRace
Senior User
Solved. So dumb, it was just one of the factory plugs for the taillights that wasn’t plugged in all the way. Argh

Old 06-12-2019, 05:51 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Ok Good trouble shooting feedback, a no cost fix is hard to beat!!! lol

Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 PM
FordMasterRace
Senior User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Ok Good trouble shooting feedback, a no cost fix is hard to beat!!! lol
You’re damn right! I also have to be more thorough