Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Grandpa's Truck F250 Supercab Camper Special Ranger XLT

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 AM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 476 Likes on 315 Posts
Check your striker bolts. They may be causing the door rattle. If the plastic the door latch closes around is deformed or missing, that will cause your rattle. You can find replacements at most any parts store, such as Autozone, ect.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Redrokin09
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yardbird
Check your striker bolts. They may be causing the door rattle. If the plastic the door latch closes around is deformed or missing, that will cause your rattle. You can find replacements at most any parts store, such as Autozone, ect.
Thank you for the information, I found some and go them ordered. I appreciate your help.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Redrokin09
Senior User
So, the dash is a flat black, i wanted to the glove box to look original... it had so.e bad scratches on it. I've tried painting it, wet sanding it than flat clear. I just couldn't get it to match correctly. So, I bought so.e flat black vinyl. I thinks it turned out ok. It matches perfectly when I sat it in there for a test fit.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:32 PM
broktruk
Laughing Gas
Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrokin09
So, the dash is a flat black, i wanted to the glove box to look original... it had so.e bad scratches on it. I've tried painting it, wet sanding it than flat clear. I just couldn't get it to match correctly. So, I bought so.e flat black vinyl. I thinks it turned out ok. It matches perfectly when I sat it in there for a test fit.
I am fairly sure that the trucks ive owned, with the black on and around the glove box, have been a satin sheen. Though I cannot quite recall

Old 06-10-2019, 11:20 PM
Redrokin09
Senior User
Originally Posted by broktruk
I am fairly sure that the trucks ive owned, with the black on and around the glove box, have been a satin sheen. Though I cannot quite recall
It's a possibility, after 40+ years, it looks flat to me.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:53 AM
broktruk
Laughing Gas
Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrokin09
It's a possibility, after 40+ years, it looks flat to me.

I may be wrong. Someone will correct me if so. Either way, I just realized you were going for a match to existing, not a redo of all the black, sorry. It looks really good.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Received 221 Likes on 183 Posts
That door looks great! No scratches showing and a great finish! Win-win!

Old 06-13-2019, 10:34 AM
Redrokin09
Senior User

So, I got it registered yesterday... Yahoooo! Drove it the tire shop and had the new tires on. It was running great, until it wasn't!... As I was driving it back home I stopped for fuel, I didn't get more than 100 yards from the gas station when it started acting like it was choking out and it wasn't getting any fuel. It stalled out. My dad showed up in his fancy brand new Dodge Dually to tow me back to the house. I did some trouble shooting, checked my inline filters first, they were ok, pulled the hose off of the inlet of the carb, cranked it to see if the pump was working, it was. I re-connected the line to the carb. Now to check the jets in the carb. I was using my self triggering tether switch, that is when I noticed that hole on the front of the carb was shooting fuel onto the manifold. Somehow, that factory plug had came out. Well... It gets better. The very second the fuel hit the hot manifold... Boom.... We have fire! Me and my father scrambled for the garage, than I realized. There's a fire extinguisher in my Jeep. BAM! fire out. No damage whatsoever. It's safe say, now the truck has one too. Phew... That was close, My dad even managed to get it on video.

So, my question is this? How did that plug come out? I have no idea. Later today during my lunch I am going to take a look to see if that plug is laying on the manifold somewhere. What should I use to re-seat it? If I can find it.

You can see in this picture, it looks like it had been hit by something... But what? My thought is, when I was driving the air cleaner was somewhat holding that plug in place maybe... I really don't know. There's a visible gouge right by the plug. Stumps me as to how this happened.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Redrokin09
Senior User
I seen this as I was doing some more research, this was someone's idea of "fixing the problem " certainly there's got to be a better solution than this.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Hmmmmm......
I'm not familiar with this type of carb.... BUT.... if it can be closed off, why not thread the hole... put some teflon tape on a short bolt and screw it in?

Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 AM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow 3 fires in just as many weeks.... glad it didn't destroy your rig! ALWAYS have a fire extinguisher on hand when working on the carb.

In my opinion, looks like you either need a new carb or see if a welder can TIG weld the hole shut. I don't think I'd ever trust a plug there again.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Redrokin09
Senior User
I agree, I wouldn't trust a plug in there again. I do like the idea of tapping and threading a bolt in. I am a machinist. I can definitely figure something out. I'll take my calipers with me when head over during my lunch and see what size that is. I have a ton of taps here at work. Just from a glance, it looks like 9.5 to 10mm

Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Looking at some of the other carb images on google, I see that even a 2150, has a similar (pressed in) plug in the top of the bowl.
It looks like from 2 different images of the 2150, I can see that there is a certain linkage that goes on some models and it goes into the hole.

SO... looks like yours could be closed off and forgotten,

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Redrokin09
Senior User

Originally Posted by Meridian_Mike
Looking at some of the other carb images on google, I see that even a 2150, has a similar (pressed in) plug in the top of the bowl.
It looks like from 2 different images of the 2150, I can see that there is a certain linkage that goes on some models and it goes into the hole.

SO... looks like yours could be closed off and forgotten,

Good luck!
I agree, there was a plug in it before. I have a picture of it right after I picked it up when I got it back from the mechanic. I can see in the picture that it has sanding marks on it. like the mechanic had pulled it it out and put it back in for whatever reason. I don't think that he seated it in properly.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Redrokin09
Senior User
Before and after rebuild

... I do think they removed when they were rebuilding it.

Quick Reply: Grandpa's Truck F250 Supercab Camper Special Ranger XLT