Notices

Trailer Saver

Old 05-22-2019, 07:06 PM
bigredtruckmi
Post Fiend
bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.
Trailer Saver

Got a Trailer Saver Fifth wheel hitch. What a difference in the ride. Anyone else?

Old 05-23-2019, 04:54 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Magnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to all
Yes. I have one and it really smooths out the towing experience.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 PM
DL222
Senior User
DL222 has a very good reputation on FTE.DL222 has a very good reputation on FTE.DL222 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have the BD5. I absolutely love it.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:53 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My F450 is as smooth, maybe smoother, when pulling my 15.5k fifth wheel on my rigid B&W companion hitch. The only time it wasn't smoother was when there was some play in the hitch mount. From an engineering perspective, it seems to me that a rigid hitch would make it rougher for the trailer, but smoother in the truck.

Why? When I'm towing, I'm sitting on my very stiff overloads. If I hit a bump, they will press upwards very hard. With a rigid hitch, the inertia of both the truck and pin weight resist this force, resulting in less jolt. With suspension in the hitch, the trailer will move (jolt) less, so the truck will jolt more.

I know that some love suspension hitches, so I might be missing something here. (Or trailer ride is given a priority over truck ride maybe?)

Old 05-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Drisean
Junior User
Drisean is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guess it depends on which part jolts and whether you won't get overlaying motions. What you're saying is only the first part of events: When your truck hits a bump, the hitch will have an upward movement, pushing the trailer up, then - after the bump - pulling the pin downwards, but then the trailer will hit the bump also, jerking at the hitch, maybe even at the same time? Would be interesting to watch this in slow motion. For me the suspension on the hitch (could also be on the pin) makes sense, the question is whether it adds to complexity.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:51 PM
bigredtruckmi
Post Fiend
bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.
Last year we came back from Florida on rough roads. Had $900 in damage to fifth wheel. Broken screws in front and rear. Now watch rig float after truck hits bad portion of road. Things stay in place in rig.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:23 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi View Post
Last year we came back from Florida on rough roads. Had $900 in damage to fifth wheel. Broken screws in front and rear. Now watch rig float after truck hits bad portion of road. Things stay in place in rig.
I would certainly expect a suspension hitch to make the front of the trailer ride smoother. It just seems like it'd make the back of the truck ride rougher to me.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 AM
bigredtruckmi
Post Fiend
I think it the sudden jars that donít happen now, helps a lot. As it is a gradual up and down motion, not jarring the rig

Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Manos
Junior User
Manos is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Manos is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
love the Trailer Saver BD5

This my 3rd 5th wheel hitch, I will never go back something less. I really believe this hitch changed the wear and tear on our 5th wheels. Our older DRV was light compared to the LUXE but we noticed on the first pull that there was a difference. The clothes on the shelves in closet stay in place. With our new LUXE and its 4000-4300LB pin weight and rough roads are no match for this hitch. Almost nothing shifts inside our 5th wheel when move, and we move quite often about every 2-3 weeks. It is an expensive hitch so it might not be worth it for everyone but if you want one but on the fence, I say go ahead jump over and get it. oh and BD5 version fits into the ford puck system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.