Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attaching Saftey Chains?

Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 PM
wrvond
Postmaster
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
How is everyone attaching their trailer safety chain? None of my trailers have hooks that are large enough to fit on the connection points of the factory hitch. I am thinking using a clevis might be a good option but I'm not sure which size is necessary? What has worked for everyone else? My trailers are all less than 6500lbs. I have a F350 with the 6.7 and the 3" receiver.
I just hook them in. Havenít come across any that donít fit yet.

Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
This is frustrating with me too - you would have thought he Ford engineers would have though this through more...

Mine fit backwards (facing out) but not forwards (facing in) - not sure if that's an issue or not but that's what i've been doing for now.
Thatís the direction theyíre supposed to be facing.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Guys with the 3" receiver aren't having the problem with the safety chain hooks not fitting. I've tried a number of different hooks on mine and haven't had one not fit.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 AM
BigTexDiesal
Junior User
BigTexDiesal is starting off with a positive reputation.
If close use a die grinder to trim off some of the web. I only needed like an 1/8" Pathetic design

Old 05-15-2019, 02:07 PM
67L48
Senior User
67L48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Thanks everyone. I like the clevis/shackle or D-ring options the best. Something removeable is important to me.
Me, too. The hammerlocks are nice, but at 2x more expensive than shackles and not removable, I'll take a pass.

5/8 shackles seem to work and can be had for $15-20 on Amazon. 3/4" shackles are hit or miss -- I've read that they barely fit or barely don't fit.

My trailer's hooks just barely fit, so I think I'll sit tight for now. But, the 5/8" shackles may be in my future, if I get too irritated trying to finagle my hooks off the receiver.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:59 PM
nomad_archer
Junior User
nomad_archer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Guys with the 3" receiver aren't having the problem with the safety chain hooks not fitting. I've tried a number of different hooks on mine and haven't had one not fit.
The guys with the 3" receiver certainly are having the issue. My travel trailer hooks barely fit. My boat and utility trailer not so much. So I would guess guys with lighter duty trailer that tend to have smaller chains/hooks all have the issue.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 PM
DangeloD
New User
DangeloD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Extreme Max 3006.8306.2 Stainless Steel Bow Shackle, 7/8", Silver
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-15-2019, 05:39 PM
Wyldfire
Freshman User
Wyldfire is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I'll agree
I have the 3 inch and haven't had an issue hooking up anything yet. It is just getting the right angle. I struggled at first, my wife came out and hooked trailer right up. Showed me what she did and haven't had a problem since.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:05 PM
BillyE
Elder User
BillyE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a 3Ē. Some really small hooks from utility trailers wonít go but anything larger will.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 AM
River Wild
Elder User
River Wild is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.River Wild is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think some overthink this and make it more complicated than it needs to be. All you have to do is change the hooks. Not that hard and cost is minimal (like $20). I've got 3 trailers. My boat and utility trailer had those cheap cheesy bent "S" hooks so yeah those didn't work.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 PM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by River Wild View Post
I think some overthink this and make it more complicated than it needs to be. All you have to do is change the hooks. Not that hard and cost is minimal (like $20). I've got 3 trailers. My boat and utility trailer had those cheap cheesy bent "S" hooks so yeah those didn't work.
"All you have to do is change the hooks" IS making it more complicated than it needs to be. Simply screwing on a couple shackles that will accommodate ANY trailer is the easy answer. I have 3 trailers...much easier to add shackles (or hammerlocks)

Old 05-16-2019, 07:39 PM
wicked 2018
Elder User
wicked 2018 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy View Post
"All you have to do is change the hooks" IS making it more complicated than it needs to be. Simply screwing on a couple shackles that will accommodate ANY trailer is the easy answer. I have 3 trailers...much easier to add shackles (or hammerlocks)
^^^BINGO^^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.