Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19 5.0 or?

Old 05-12-2019, 08:00 AM
2track
Freshman User
2track is starting off with a positive reputation.
19 5.0 or?

Thinking of a 19 xlt with a 5.0 but after reading all the problems with the 18 I'm a little concerned. Any fixes to the 19 ?

Old 05-12-2019, 10:32 AM
bedwards
Senior User
bedwards is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm not going to try to talk you into anything, but my 5.0 has been good so far. I had some oil consumption until I drove it hard for about a week and it has stopped. I guess I babied it too much. Other than that, its been powerful, dependable, quiet and gets very good mileage in my style of driving. It's hard to beat the sound of a V8 to old farts like me.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM
TJReams
Posting Guru
TJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to behold
Mine had some minor oil consumtion. However it seems to be doing fine now with 5,000 on the clock.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:49 PM
ck1404
Senior User
ck1404 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for starting this thread. I am also curious to hear about owner reports on the 2019 5.0. Have had a hard time finding complaints about it. In the market for one. We have a 2013 5.0 that has been flawless. And a 2007 5.4 that is high mileage and makes me nervous - looking at replacing it. Hope Ford got their 2018 issues on the 5.0 resolved by 2019 model year.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:08 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Black Ford XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bedwards , curious to know the mileage on your 5.0 f 150 . ????

Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
It seems that the consensus is not to break it in, but drive it the way you intend to from the start with a few wide open throttle runs in there after the first few hundred miles.

I have always gone out to a quiet country road after a couple hundred miles and done a few wide open runs from 0-80 or so, bedding in the brakes at the same time.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 PM
bedwards
Senior User
bedwards is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd have to go to the garage to see exactly but I'm almost to 14000 now which is hard to believe. Seems like I just bought it.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:10 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Eh hem...

Im on my second one. So far, itís burning oil, too.

No more 5.0ís for me.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Smoke did they replace your block???? TR

Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT View Post
Smoke did they replace your block???? TR
Yes, replaced the long block, but it took until 28k before the TSB came out.
Its in the shop now for high pressure fuel pump replacement, but Iím more concerned with the quart low on oil in 1,700 miles on this new engine. Time will tell if this is just ďbreak-inĒ oil consumption, or if itís the same mess all over.
Itís my opinion that the new 5.0L is going to go down as a crap engine all because of the plasma coating preventing rings from seating. Iím betting either major changes will soon take place, or the 5.0L mill will be replaced by a new design and displacement. I know others have had good luck, but Iím sorry... a cylinder wall that is basically aluminum like the engine on Billy-Bobís Cub Cadet mower, does NOT say longevity or durability to me. For that reason alone, Iím out.
My dealer has been great, which is really the only reason I havenít traded it by now.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
I fully understand your pain. It is totally unaccepted to purchase a new vehicle to put up with this and have to explain problems to the Stealerships .Ford has a problem with this engine and the people who buy them are not happy. I have read the TSB and I would be pissed if they told me to come by every 200 miles(SO JODY CAN CHECK THE OIL. My 2018 has 7000 miles and was in at 4800 for a free oil change and tire rotation. When I got home I checked the stick with it being half way between holes. Now at 7000 it is near the lower hole.
I have a driveway full of fords Totally unacceptable...Ö TR

Old 05-14-2019, 08:37 PM
Harryjt
Freshman User
Harryjt is starting off with a positive reputation.
my 5.0 has been flawless. has not used any oil since new. I have always run new motors hard from new to set the rings. my father and i use to build motors together and if a new motor is going to fail you are going to find out in the first hundred miles. smokewagun before you give up on that motor. stick it in sport mode and drive it like a Porsche for two weeks you nothing to lose except a little extra fuel. After that see if your oil consumption stops. If not then trade it in on something else.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Lol harryJT, I may try this hadn't had a ticket in years !!! TR

Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Old 05-15-2019, 08:03 PM
Harryjt
Freshman User
Harryjt is starting off with a positive reputation.
LOL i guess according to ford i am doing it wrong. I guess i am just lucky to get a good 5.0 then

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: