Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

98 explorer - rear disc removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:35 PM
gktbay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 explorer - rear disc removal

Hello,

Brake job just slowed down ... having a tough time removing rear disc rotors.
Anyone done this, been here?
2wd and never sees water/boat ramps, that is.
Need help --- thanks to everyone, in advance.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:11 PM
airgooe
New User
I am in the middle of a brake job on a 98 and I have the same problem! What gives? I tried prying, beating, even heated them up a little bit.

Is there somthing I don't know, or do I just need a bigger hammer? How do the pros get these off?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2003, 02:24 PM
99Xplr
Senior User
The rear discs are also drum brakes for the e-brake. You need to close the brake shoes for the e-brake before you can get the rotors off. There should be a small, oval rubber plug on the back of the dust guard. Remove that plug, and using a small flat blade screwdriver and a brake spoon, you should turn the self adjuster down so it releases the rotors. It's a bit of a pain 'cause there isn't a lot of room to work with, but with a little patience the rotors will come right off. When you put the new, or cut rotors, back on, you will need to adjust the brakes so they work correctly. What you need to do is advance the self adjuster one click at a time until they start to drag on the inside of the drum. Once you get to that point, back it off one or two clicks. Do this for both sides and you are done. Don't be suprised if it takes a while to get things right, but be patient cause if you do it wrong you will burn up your e-brake.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:41 PM
gktbay
Senior User
got the job done ... some tapping at face of rotor between the studs did the trick. this ex has never backed into water or seen snow --- the rear e-brakes were in great shape.

thanks guys