1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 chasis vin location

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:04 AM
Another rusty Ford
Mountain Pass
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 chasis vin location

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm looking in the wrong place, I have the chassis stripped down t the rails, everything is being replaced with the TCI front and rear suspension and I am having the dustless blasting done this weekend, so last nite I tried looking for the vin on the front upper chassis between where the front leaf spring perches were originally with a high speed scotch brite pad with no luck, I even flipped the chassis over and scotch brited the underside and found nothing either, am I looking in the wrong place or is there another location?, it is a 1956 f100 short wheel base, thanks,Pete

Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Not sure if the American were stamped different than the Canadian but on both of my 56's out of the Oakville plant in Ontario the stamping was on top of the left frame rail in 2 places. One above the steering box and the other about midway between the 2 running board brackets. I searched everywhere else and that was the only locations I could find

Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
My 56 has the number stamped on the passenger side frame rail right where the radiator support crossmember is riveted to the frame.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Another rusty Ford
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the info, I'll get the scotch brite out again and try these places too, thanks again,Pete

Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 AM
james G. phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On one 56 frame I had , it was stamped one the passenger side next to the cab.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
US production was typically stamped on the right side. Go gentle with the scotchbrite on the wizzer. The stampings are not very deep, and if you get crazy with the grinder you might wisk them away without even knowing it. Lightly hand rubbing may be safer and more productive.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:47 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Following up...I have another 56 that a PO installed a Volare IFS onto. Could not find the VIN stamping anywhere and assumed that it was destroyed in the process of installing the IFS. Talked to a local sheriff who advised me to stamp the numbers that matched my paperwork onto the frame in the general location to where I thought the original stamping was located. Harbor Freight has the number stamps and McMaster carries the star stamp needed to start/finish the number sequence. Custom shops regularly stamp the aftermarket frames they install in this manner.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:24 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Following up...I have another 56 that a PO installed a Volare IFS onto. Could not find the VIN stamping anywhere and assumed that it was destroyed in the process of installing the IFS. Talked to a local sheriff who advised me to stamp the numbers that matched my paperwork onto the frame in the general location to where I thought the original stamping was located. Harbor Freight has the number stamps and McMaster carries the star stamp needed to start/finish the number sequence. Custom shops regularly stamp the aftermarket frames they install in this manner.
That's interesting. The rules will vary greatly from state to state. No cop around here would recommend self-stamping, and no shop I've ever been in here in Washington would ever think of stamping their own numbers. The state authorities would be looking to put someone in jail. That's not to say it's never been done, but just saying...

Old 04-24-2019, 02:28 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I never seen any of those stars on the numbers stamps on mine just the numbers themselves that matched the plate on the door post..I think it must have varied between assembly plants

Old 04-24-2019, 04:04 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
That's interesting. The rules will vary greatly from state to state. No cop around here would recommend self-stamping, and no shop I've ever been in here in Washington would ever think of stamping their own numbers. The state authorities would be looking to put someone in jail. That's not to say it's never been done, but just saying...
Washington is a "big brother" state so I am not surprised to hear that. Let's face it, if you are the legal owner of the vehicle and you are placing numbers where they did not previously exist, that is, not obliterating existing numbers and then stamping different ones in their place...then how can that be illegal? I would like to see the text of the law. Here in SoCal the DMV and the private VIN verifiers do not even look at the frame on these trucks. If you have a data plate that matches your paperwork then that is sufficient. This discussion always comes up when the topic of frame stampings is posted. I have yet to see anyone post the text of the local/state law that prohibits the legal owner from stamping a frame. This is similar to the license plate painting issue...for years it was verboten to repaint a license plate, now folks have thriving businesses doing just that...common sense and an intent, or lack thereof, need to figure into the law at some point.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Can you see the serial numbers on the frame without removing the inner fender on a 54 or 55? I have never seen the stampings on my 54 and I've owned it since 1977.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 AM
Another rusty Ford
Mountain Pass
So I went home last night and checked all the locations and I can't seem to find them, even before I used the scotch bright wheel I sprayed it down with PB blaster hoping it would help with some type but NG, I'm having everything dustless blasted on Saturday so hopefully it can be found, I do have he paperwork and tag for it I will keep my eyes open for them, thanks for all the suggestions,Pete

Old 04-25-2019, 08:35 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Just found mine while installing mustang 2 style front. They are in front of the passenger side spring hanger for the rear of the spring. I am amazed that there seems to be be no order on these trucks as far as standard operating procedures . They are not lined up very straight either.

Last edited by artscott61; 04-25-2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2019, 09:10 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by artscott61
I am amazed that there seems to be be no order on these trucks as far as standard operating procedures . They are not lined up very straight either.
Keep in mind the context of what's happening at the time. The frames are moving down a rolling assembly line, and this one guy's job is to hand stamp 13 characters as fast as he can, and keep track of what he's stamping as every one is different. Multiply this by a dozen assembly plants. I'm sure there were standards or they wouldn't be as similar as they are. They weren't building show cars and they didn't need to be perfect. Just marked according to federal law.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:39 AM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Can you see the serial numbers on the frame without removing the inner fender on a 54 or 55? I have never seen the stampings on my 54 and I've owned it since 1977.
Abe, I went out to look at mine. With the inner fender in place, you can’t see anything. If you pull the right front wheel and look at the top of the frame rail with a mirror, that’s your best chance of seeing it.

Quick Reply: 1956 chasis vin location