Key help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:31 PM
grandisp
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key help

Hello,
This could probably go in many car forums, but this is the only one I'm a member of! I have a 2017 Expedition EL Limited. Shortly after I bought it, I accidentally ran one of the remote keys (the whole fob thing) through the laundry. I didn't realize at the time what all the parts were and figured it was dead. But now I'm trying to (finally) get a replacement extra key, and it's kind of a pain ie I will have to go in to the dealer, plus it will cost me probably $200 between the parts, the programming, the service, the entry key, etc. I went and looked at the remainder of the key that went through the wash, and I'm wondering if it will work as a back up. All I need is a back up in case I lose my only full key, so I can still drive the car, etc. But, what I have left is the rubber outside (2 pieces, top and bottom), then inside the battery is gone and there is nothing else...is there supposed to be a visible computer chip or something? And then, I can still pull out the 'emergency key' which is a lot like a regular cut key. I've been scanning over the owner's manual, etc., but I think I really don't understand the key system, and I'm not sure if this emergency key would work...in an emergency...if there is no computer chip so it doesn't have any 'intelligent access'??? I can see that there is a place where you can open the car door with this emergency key, and then I think stick it in on the steering wheel? But, will the car work? I can test it...but I"m afraid of messing up the current programming, etc. Thanks for any guidance!

Old 04-17-2019, 03:46 PM
grandisp
Freshman User
So far I have talked with 2 dealerships and 1 locksmith. According to the dealership, the only purpose of the emergency key that is tucked into the key fob is to be able to enter the car (unlock the door) in the even that the car battery dies and the fob remote will no longer open the car. The emergency key has no other purpose than that, according to dealer. Does this make sense? Also, apparently if the battery in your key fob dies and you are without a backup, you are stranded and have to call and emergency locksmith??? I cannot understand this - why would they make a key that, should anything go haywire, you are stranded with a non working key. ?? Anyone?

Old 04-17-2019, 04:19 PM
meeker
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hmmm - I was under the impression that if the battery is dead, you can put the keyfob into the slot under the front cupholder in the center console. But, I can't find that in the manual, so maybe I am wrong about that... But yes, there's no way to start the vehicle with the emergency key...

Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 AM
U9000
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
See page 147 of your owner's manual, using the intelligent access fob when the battery is dead is described there. And that's completely correct, the "key" stuck in the back of the intelligent access fob is only used to open the car door, nothing else. You put the fob into the console holder, as described on page 147 of your owner's manual.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:02 AM
grandisp
Freshman User
I talked to a locksmith yesterday and they said they will make a new fob for $179 total including programming etc. (which apparently there is no way at all I can do myself). This is slightly less than what the dealer would cost - about $210 at the dealer. Is there any reason anyone knows of not to have the locksmith do it? I have this fear that I'm going to mess up my existing key somehow and end up stranded. I do not like relying on a computer chip in a key fob to make sure my car starts!

Old 04-18-2019, 10:06 AM
U9000
Tuned
I'd certainly test it well while I was at the locksmith's shop, but it should work just fine.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:09 AM
grandisp
Freshman User
Originally Posted by U9000
I'd certainly test it well while I was at the locksmith's shop, but it should work just fine.
Sorry, I meant I will end up stranded at a later date, because of some glitch or something that shows up later. Not sure I'm making sense.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 AM
U9000
Tuned
Originally Posted by grandisp
Sorry, I meant I will end up stranded at a later date, because of some glitch or something that shows up later. Not sure I'm making sense.

Given the computer controls on all newer vehicles, it's highly likely you will be stranded at some point in time if you keep the car long enough. Whether it's due to a programed key or not is impossible to say, but I'd venture that if it works initially, then it will NOT give you issues down the road. The real question is- "Is all this worry worth the $50 difference between going to the less expensive locksmith versus taking it to the dealer?" I mean, you need to have the key, just get it done and go on to the next thing. Shoot, I'd throw a new battery into the now very clean old fob and use it if it works. I'd also immediately buy a third fob so that I could always have 2 working ones and be able to program the third whenever I needed to.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:13 AM
grandisp
Freshman User
Given the computer controls on all newer vehicles, it's highly likely you will be stranded at some point in time if you keep the car long enough. Whether it's due to a programed key or not is impossible to say, but I'd venture that if it works initially, then it will NOT give you issues down the road. The real question is- "Is all this worry worth the $50 difference between going to the less expensive locksmith versus taking it to the dealer?" I mean, you need to have the key, just get it done and go on to the next thing. Shoot, I'd throw a new battery into the now very clean old fob and use it if it works. I'd also immediately buy a third fob so that I could always have 2 working ones and be able to program the third whenever I needed to.
You are likely right - so stupid though that they don't make it so you can at least drive with a 'normal' key if needed. We survived a long time like that...this seems really dumb to me.

Anyways...yeah I think I'm just annoyed that I can't just order a new key and program it myself and keep on truckin'. I hate going to the dealer or locksmith or wherever....just me I guess. Towing little kids along to stuff like that is just not fun.

I did just order more batteries which I will keep at home and in the car. Good idea actually to buy one more fob...at least that way if I get stuck, maybe whoever has to come help me (locksmith? AAA?) can just program the new key. ?

Oh, and yes I'd love to just throw a battery in to the washed fob...but I am pretty sure there is supposed to be a computer chip in there, and there isn't...it must have gotten lost when I washed the key and I didn't think to look for it. It was probably trashed anyways, given I wash most things on hot.

I am sure I'm not the only one that had no idea of the fragility of this system...I suppose we are all supposed to read our owner's manual front to back? But who does that...only a few people I'm sure. Plus, I'm not sure I would have understood the situation even if I had ...I went and read the parts about the key and I really didn't get a clear picture of much of anything from that.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Given the computer controls on all newer vehicles, it's highly likely you will be stranded at some point in time if you keep the car long enough. Whether it's due to a programed key or not is impossible to say, but I'd venture that if it works initially, then it will NOT give you issues down the road...
My wife's Lincoln MKX, with the first version of the ill-fated My Lincoln Touch, had several issues with the key fobs. For example, she would park it somewhere and when she got back to the car, the fob would not "talk" to the car. I would have to drive to wherever she was with the second fob which always worked fine, so after a trip to the dealer that fixed the first fob, she started carrying what had been the "spare." A couple months later the same thing happened and the "spare" fob quit. We took it to the dealer who called the Lincoln engineers and their stab at the cure was to re-program and re-pair the fobs with the vehicle. Apparently that worked as there has been no such issue in the past five years. My take on the whole thing is that electronic car components can be reliable...until the manufacturer's bean counters start beating up on the suppliers to deliver lower priced components.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Brandon150
Senior User
I just picked up a 2017 limited and one of the keys seems to be dying. I let it run while getting gas and going in to get takeout and each time I closed the door the horn honked twice. Then when we got home it said 'no key fob detected' and wouldn't start. I went and got the spare key and it started and when I got out and closed the door with it running it didn't honked anymore. Do I need new batteries or a new spare key fob?