Sponsored by:

Excursion specs and changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Swaybar1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion specs and changes

Hello All, I recently purchased a 2003 EB Ed w/7.3L 4x4. In the past we have had a 2002 Lim and a 2005 EB both without 4x4. I was wondering if anyone had information or knew of a page that might have information on specs, changes, or the like over the years of production. Thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2019, 09:45 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
I’ve seen a post here in this forum that outlines the changes, there is even a post that has every interior and exterior color....search

Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
I'm not sure if it's there or not, but a good place to look would be up in the Tech Folder at the top of the EX forum page.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 AM
Swaybar1
Senior User
Link took me to an non-working page

I went to the link but it took me to a page that no longer contained the information I am looking for.

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I'm not sure if it's there or not, but a good place to look would be up in the Tech Folder at the top of the EX forum page.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:55 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Swaybar1
I went to the link but it took me to a page that no longer contained the information I am looking for.

specifically what are you looking for ? I am sure with the collective knowledge here on FTE we can come up with the answers sans a factory spec sheet.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Swaybar1
Senior User
Information Search

I guess I was looking for specs or maybe a specs page that might show changes from year to year-2000-2005 (i.e. Length, improvements in design, options, interior, and the like). Like I said in the original post we had an 02, then an 05, and now an 03 and they all had a slightly different feel and appeal if that makes sense. I have been looking online also and anything I uncover I'll put together and post. Maybe its already somewhere here and I just haven't found it OR maybe this hasn't really mattered to anyone else and hasn't been put together (It could be one of my quirks just wanting the extra info on something I'm working on....).

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
specifically what are you looking for ? I am sure with the collective knowledge here on FTE we can come up with the answers sans a factory spec sheet.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:32 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Swaybar1
I guess I was looking for specs or maybe a specs page that might show changes from year to year-2000-2005 (i.e. Length, improvements in design, options, interior, and the like). Like I said in the original post we had an 02, then an 05, and now an 03 and they all had a slightly different feel and appeal if that makes sense. I have been looking online also and anything I uncover I'll put together and post. Maybe its already somewhere here and I just haven't found it OR maybe this hasn't really mattered to anyone else and hasn't been put together (It could be one of my quirks just wanting the extra info on something I'm working on....).

All of the interior and exterior dimensions remained the same through all 6 years.
Same with the springs used, all EXs came with rear G codes the 4X4 models had a 2"-ish block while the RWD rigs had no blocks or traction bars. Front springs were based on the engines, 5.4, 6.8 and the PSDs (both the 7.3 and 6.0 used the same spec front springs) each of these engine options had incrementally higher rated springs.
All the EXs came with 265/75R16 tires with a variety of steel and aluminum wheels.
Trailer hitch ratings were increased (in '02 I think....?) by building with higher rated thicker hitch to frame bolts, same hitch was used.
Some '00s did not have the trans cooler loop in the radiator, only the air to oil cooler.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:33 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
All years use the same wheelbase, frame, steering and suspension.
All years offered a RWD and 4x4
00-03 offered :
5.4 v8
6.8 v10
7.3 v8 diesel

03 added a 6.0 diesel
04 deleted the 7.3 diesel

All years have the same body , glass and seat configurations

other then that there is some variation in doo dads offered like digital climate control auto headlights, adjustable pedals and other convenience gimmicks. Some of them are easy swaps some less so.
there are a couple of sticker packages available like the Eddie Bower or the rare No Boundaries

Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Honestly the biggest difference between any years is so minimal it comes down to making 3 descisions

engine
RWD or 4x4
leather or cloth

Make those 3 decisions and find the lowest milage and cleanest one available that fits your budget. Any year would do.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:48 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
The only 2 engine year changes I can think of.

in mid 01 the 7.3 switched from forged rods to powdered Metal Rods or PMR , not a big deal unless you are building a 500hp racer. LoL

at some point the v10 switched to longer threads in the heads spark plug hole... sorta of a moot point since the short ones have likely all been fixed by now.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Appearance pkgs had more variation per model year than anything mechanical. Driver and passenger grab handles on A-pillars, better cupholders (console and dash), cassette vs CD in dash, VCR vs DVD in overhead entertainment center, XLT leather option vs Eddie Bauer/Limited, Leather seat colors, interior dash bezel black vs interior color.
Certain year(s) had "ulimate" limited, not sure what it did.
'05 Excursion got the upgraded front grille, but retained the prior dash/pcm, differentiating it from an '05 superduty.

More important was differences between diesel vs gas.
6.0 had 5r110 trans and hydroboost brakes, but otherwise, basically the same everything else. (No idea about a 7.3)

All gas and 7.3 diesel had 4r100, basically similar trans, but with slight differences internally based on each of the engines.

Rear sway bar, seems like a rare factory option for all years.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:03 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
I was looking for information on the No Boundaries package and found this. The article is not X friendly, but it has some good info.

https://consumerguide.com/used/2000-05-ford-excursion/

Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by EXSwap
I was looking for information on the No Boundaries package and found this. The article is not X friendly, but it has some good info.

https://consumerguide.com/used/2000-05-ford-excursion/
it was critics like that who just did not understand the point of an excursion that killed it, when I bought mine new I remember thinking how clueless those city slickers were thinking this was supposed to be a car like commuter vehicle. Pretty much everything the critics hated about the excursion is what has always made it the perfect vehicle for me.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
it was critics like that who just did not understand the point of an excursion that killed it, when I bought mine new I remember thinking how clueless those city slickers were thinking this was supposed to be a car like commuter vehicle. Pretty much everything the critics hated about the excursion is what has always made it the perfect vehicle for me.
Yeah, it's pretty obnoxious. And I don't see how you could say something like "visibility is poor" or "you'll have to watch out for cars along the side". All cars have blind spots, and though I've never drive the X with the elephant ears, I'm sure it would be just like driving any other car. It's really not that difficult.

I did like at the bottom of that page they have all the options by year. I had no idea that in 2005 there was an XLS version. Who knew?!?! Still didn't find much on the No Boundaries version. Looks like maybe they had different headlights

Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Same as saying the turning Diameter makes it a chore... dumb

“Curb-to-curb turning diameter is almost 50 feet, so swinging into a driveway or parking lot can be a chore”

fwiw the Ex turning radius is 25’ Your typical mini van is 20’

Since when does the turning circle make driving a chore ? That make zero sense other then to scare people...

my dealer had a no boundries on the showroom the day my special order arrived... I don t recall all the details other then the price was retarded, I think it had color match bumpers and black out headlights.

Quick Reply: Excursion specs and changes