6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Long term, high mileage 6.7s stock or d*****d: how many miles and if original HPFP and injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 06:24 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Okay then, I've been corrected. That's what I've read they go by also. I posted up these pics from

https://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsit...separator.aspx

ABOVE LEFT IS THE FORD SERVICE MANUAL PICTURE DETAILING WHAT THE TECHNICIAN MUST LOOK FOR. BOTTOM RIGHT IS WHAT MINE LOOKED LIKE WHEN REJECTED FOR WARRANTY. I believe this is from the DFCM; maybe inside the cone shape in the upper part of the DFCM.

THIS IS A VIEW INSIDE THE TOP OF THE INJECTOR. RUST IS VERY EVIDENT.

YOU CAN SEE THE DEBRIS IN THE SCREEN ON THE REGULATOR IN THIS PHOTO

THIS WAS A VIEW INSIDE THE FUEL PUMP. WE TOOK THE HEAD OF THE PUMP OFF TO SHOW THE CONTAMINANTS.

Here is the link to the General Service Bulletin for the 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Fuel Conditioning Module (DFCM) for FYI:

https://static.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000035.pdf
Yeah my 6.0 used to look like that too. All diesel fuel attracts water, its inevitable, hence why trucks have a water separator. It's ridiculous that Ford uses this fact as a way to deny warranty coverage, I really hope they get burned on the class action suit, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't if the lawyers have their story straight.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,437 Likes on 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
I had a July 2010 build truck, I ran it 150,000 miles and bought a 2015 truck. I replaced, front hubs, exhaust sensors, and the turbo coolant and oil connectors, But nothing else.
Like others, I change the fuel filter every other oil change, I run Opti-Lube occassionally. for extra lubrication and anti gel ( in colder months) and usually buy fuel from high volume stations
Thanks for posting up Mr.Horse.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Ian123
Yeah my 6.0 used to look like that too. All diesel fuel attracts water, its inevitable, hence why trucks have a water separator. It's ridiculous that Ford uses this fact as a way to deny warranty coverage, I really hope they get burned on the class action suit, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't if the lawyers have their story straight.
This is my first diesel and with what it cost me, I want to attempt to make it last. I've done a **** ton of reading and I learned that by the actual refining process itself to get most of the sulfur out of the fuel, that actually increases its ability to absorb moisture. This sums it up nicely:

Diesel fuel is highly hygroscopic which means that it readily absorbs water from the moisture in the air. Water contamination in one of the biggest concerns with diesel as it leads to the corrosion of the steel components in the fuel injection system, as well as it promotes microbial growth in the fuel tanks.

https://www.the-triton.com/2016/03/w...s-worst-enemy/

I agree with you on Ford's position to deny warranty coverage. What if you bought fuel with excessive moisture that over stressed the DFCM and had no WIF light? The opinions here are many on this. The answer of "just buy quality diesel" and "high sales place;" does that guarantee you won't ever have a problem? How do you know that the fuel you are buying is high quality and does not have entrained or excessive water in it without sampling? Does everyone who doesn't worry about moisture use additive and/or drain the DFCM frequently? Do the guys that don't drive their trucks frequently know that just by the temperature difference from day and night, that the condensation which forms in said tanks because of said temp differences, will make it's way into the fuel? These are all rhetorical questions in nature. There's no need to answer them...just thinking out loud. I might just start a fuel thread...

Old 04-17-2019, 03:45 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might just start a fuel thread...
I think you just want to watch the world burn!

You've raised questions I didn't know I had and now I'm freaking out about water in the fuel!

Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13

You've raised questions I didn't know I had and now I'm freaking out about water in the fuel!
There are a number of HPFP threads here. Some with heated debate, thread closures, even a member ban or maybe two. You don't want this to go that far.

For the fuel, don't let it control your driving of the truck, just be mindful of the extra maintenance. Stick to high volume stations (fuel turnover). If you want to take it further, learn your local stations, keep or snap a photo of your receipts, use an approved fuel additive if you choose and just drive and enjoy your rocket ship of a truck. To further put your mind at ease, proactively ask your insurance provider if they cover fuel system damage from bad fuel since you can't lab test the tanks in the ground each visit (that would be silly).

Attached is an example about learning local. I filled up at a convenient to me Shell station near my office when I purchased mine in 2010. After the first filter change around 15k, this picture is what I noticed.
Reading others comments here were saying their filters look new at 15k. So, as a long term experiment, I drove further to a different Shell most of the time. After 15k, my filters were clean. I tried the first station on and off again over time and the algae (or whatever it is) was back.
A friend (with a Duramax) reported similar results, up to learning their fuel tanks had obvious "crud" issues (a co-worker was having issues with his 5.0 Mustang). This was a busy Shell. School buses, Army vehicles, fleet trucks, yard dogs, etc. filled up here but turns out, crap tanks.
Of course my "experiments" have various additional stations used from traveling but a majority of fills were at home. I've not used that location since and I've not had a problem since.

I've even had issues with my tractor where a (different) station had obvious fluctuating water issues with their off-road diesel tanks. One particular tank I had received was bad and after stopping for a break one day while brush cutting, I noticed the water separator was half full of water which was all fuel prior to starting a few hours prior. I again switched to a different station for off-road diesel where I don't have this water issue.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,657 Likes on 1,652 Posts
Anyone have personal knowledge of this?
I have personal knowledge that FoMoCo DID cover the HPFP and the complete fuel system in my ‘15 under warranty. No bad fuel. No BS.
I just no longer trusted THAT truck and traded it for a ‘16.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:27 AM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kper, I fill at only high turnover stations, both are Shell. In this town half the vehicles on the road are trucks, and half of those are diesel. Diesel at every station, but the two that I frequent are at either end of the town, close to the interstate and the close to the highway coming in from the other side.

I used to drive long haul, keeping an eye on water/fuel filters was par for the course and I filled where I needed to and otherwise didn't much care. This was before DEF and EGR.

Don, I've sold guns for the same reason. I fixed them made sure they were perfect, and sold them with full disclosure to the next person. I can't say I blame you. My goal is to just have a truck paid off and do what it takes to keep it going.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by kper05
There are a number of HPFP threads here. Some with heated debate, thread closures, even a member ban or maybe two. You don't want this to go that far.

For the fuel, don't let it control your driving of the truck, just be mindful of the extra maintenance. Stick to high volume stations (fuel turnover). If you want to take it further, learn your local stations, keep or snap a photo of your receipts, use an approved fuel additive if you choose and just drive and enjoy your rocket ship of a truck. To further put your mind at ease, proactively ask your insurance provider if they cover fuel system damage from bad fuel since you can't lab test the tanks in the ground each visit (that would be silly).

Attached is an example about learning local. I filled up at a convenient to me Shell station near my office when I purchased mine in 2010. After the first filter change around 15k, this picture is what I noticed.
Reading others comments here were saying their filters look new at 15k. So, as a long term experiment, I drove further to a different Shell most of the time. After 15k, my filters were clean. I tried the first station on and off again over time and the algae (or whatever it is) was back.
A friend (with a Duramax) reported similar results, up to learning their fuel tanks had obvious "crud" issues (a co-worker was having issues with his 5.0 Mustang). This was a busy Shell. School buses, Army vehicles, fleet trucks, yard dogs, etc. filled up here but turns out, crap tanks.
Of course my "experiments" have various additional stations used from traveling but a majority of fills were at home. I've not used that location since and I've not had a problem since.

I've even had issues with my tractor where a (different) station had obvious fluctuating water issues with their off-road diesel tanks. One particular tank I had received was bad and after stopping for a break one day while brush cutting, I noticed the water separator was half full of water which was all fuel prior to starting a few hours prior. I again switched to a different station for off-road diesel where I don't have this water issue.

Thanks for your input, thoughts and pics, Kper. I'm not trying to scare anybody but in fact just bringing up truth about our fuel we use. I drive mine everyday.

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13

I don't want to see the world burn but in all honesty, it's doing a good job all by itself without my help, this country in particular. But that's for a different discussion in a different section here.

I've always considered myself an analytical thinking. I'm not trying to freak anyone out and I ain't skeered... Just posting up stuff for people to think about. Read it or don't, think about it or don't. No worries.

Originally Posted by 99150
I have personal knowledge that FoMoCo DID cover the HPFP and the complete fuel system in my ‘15 under warranty. No bad fuel. No BS.
Thanks for posting up, pal. That's good to hear. Just one question though: what made you trust the new 16 with the same pump design as the 15? I'm just curious to your line of thought. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:37 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
168K on my 2011 6.7, HPFP, and injectors are original, same with the DPF...I run Power Service diesel kleen, or Howes diesel treat...but not every fill up...my truck has been known to go on a few fill ups without additives..either because I forget to buy the stuff or I just don't feel like getting it out of the toolbox..also I went over the fuel filter change interval by...a lot....a few years ago..last time I changed it the filter was still pretty clean and no sign of "glitter"

Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Back to the OP’s question, I’m at 156k on a 2016. I deleted it when it was 6 months old at 37k. I’ve done scheduled PM, and replaced tires for the second time today. As for that it’s been problem free.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:22 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 here, 146k hard miles. radiator replaced 3x (warranty), vacuum pump (oil leak), everything else original. deleted with PPEI tuner. Oil changes every 9-10k, fuel filter every ~20k, and prime the filter 6 times before starting. about 2k idle hours.

one thing to note is i had a titan fuel tank put in and for whatever reason the truck wouldn't reprime. took well over an hour of cranking which included draining both batteries, having a jump vehicle, etc before it finally started.

serviced transmission twice, axles once and tcase once or twice. original brakes.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Geno C
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
‘13 with 120k
radiator at 55k warranty
injector #4 at 114k
It’s hasn’t been factory since 103k

Old 04-20-2019, 10:37 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 F350 with 119k miles, deleted at 110k. All parts are still original with all fueling systems. Only thing replaced has been a few EGT sensors along the way. Oil and fuel filters changed regularly throughout it's life, no issues!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by mebe2k
168K on my 2011 6.7, HPFP, and injectors are original, same with the DPF...I run Power Service diesel kleen, or Howes diesel treat...but not every fill up...my truck has been known to go on a few fill ups without additives..either because I forget to buy the stuff or I just don't feel like getting it out of the toolbox..also I went over the fuel filter change interval by...a lot....a few years ago..last time I changed it the filter was still pretty clean and no sign of "glitter"
Originally Posted by Superdave71
Back to the OP’s question, I’m at 156k on a 2016. I deleted it when it was 6 months old at 37k. I’ve done scheduled PM, and replaced tires for the second time today. As for that it’s been problem free.
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
2015 here, 146k hard miles. radiator replaced 3x (warranty), vacuum pump (oil leak), everything else original. deleted with PPEI tuner. Oil changes every 9-10k, fuel filter every ~20k, and prime the filter 6 times before starting. about 2k idle hours.

one thing to note is i had a titan fuel tank put in and for whatever reason the truck wouldn't reprime. took well over an hour of cranking which included draining both batteries, having a jump vehicle, etc before it finally started.

serviced transmission twice, axles once and tcase once or twice. original brakes.
Originally Posted by Geno C
‘13 with 120k
radiator at 55k warranty
injector #4 at 114k
It’s hasn’t been factory since 103k
Originally Posted by UP_There
2011 F350 with 119k miles, deleted at 110k. All parts are still original with all fueling systems. Only thing replaced has been a few EGT sensors along the way. Oil and fuel filters changed regularly throughout it's life, no issues!
Gentlemen, thanks for posting up. Appreciate your feedback and tips on how you do things.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by 99150
Thanks for posting up brother. Kinda curious on your thinking that you did not trust the 15 but you trusted a new 16 with the same fuel system? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Long term, high mileage 6.7s stock or d*****d: how many miles and if original HPFP and injectors