1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F-350 6.7 Engine Warranty Denied

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 06:42 AM
dukdawg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 F-350 6.7 Engine Warranty Denied

As the title states a Ford dealership has denied a warranty claim for a blown engine. The truck has 48000 miles and was purchased less than a month ago from a Ford dealer. At the time of purchase the truck had 31000 miles.

The truck is sitting at a dealership in Texas and I live in Virginia. The driver stated the engine shut down after about 3 miles of driving and warm up (after an overnight stop). The dealership initially said the oil filter adapter gasket was leaking and that was what caused the oil to blow out and shut the truck down. Then they said it was a blown oil filter gasket and took pictures of the blown gasket. Said that it would not be covered by warranty. There were no DTCs that I am aware of. The service advisor was not very helpful, and the service manager has not returned my call. I called the Ford line (800-392-3673) and was told that Ford will take the recommendation of the dealer. I said I did not accept that answer and I am now waiting on a call from a customer service representative from Ford.

I guess I am looking for some info on how to get this right with Ford. I believe it should be a warranty claim.

If I am being unreasonable about expecting Ford to warranty the engine please let me know.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
The image you posted is the oil filter adaptor to upper oil pan gasket. Has the engine itself failed? Is it locked up? Are they denying any repairs under warranty at all?

Old 04-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
So, who did the last oil change? Have you contacted the selling dealership? Do you have documentation of the last oil change? That's where I would be going instead of the Ford reps. They would be the last resort after I had my way with the selling dealer or the shop that changed the oil. JMO

Old 04-10-2019, 03:29 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know what the official FORD recommended OCI is for that year and engine but 17,000 miles seems like a lot if that's how long it's been between oil and filter changes, you may get a fair amount of push back. By blown engine ... I take it ran out of oil via leaking and seized?

Old 04-10-2019, 06:49 PM
dukdawg
New User
We do our own preventive maintenance (we are former Marine mechanics). The oil was last changed at 39000. The first pic is the failed oil filter gasket. The second pic is the adapter gasket (originally what the dealership diagnosed). Engine isn’t locked but according to dealer no compression.

Brief conversation with selling dealership. Once I get invoice from Texas I am going to send all documentation (pics, invoice, oil filter receipts) and see if my local dealer will honor warranty.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
insurance claim maybe another route for failed components. Something to explore. I don't see how change the oil would have affected the other gasket. Somebody has tinkered where they don't belong.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:42 PM
birdiecat
5th Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just looking at the picture of the filter and gasket that is being held. Is there any chance that the gasket that is being held is a gasket off of the old oil filter that was possibly stuck to the oil filter housing. There seams to be an imprint of it in the gasket on the filter.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 PM
SnowPlowDriver
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Quite often when I change filters the gasket sticks to the engine. Is that what happened here,two gaskets on the filter?

Old 04-11-2019, 03:09 AM
dukdawg
New User
The dealership did claim the doubled oil filter gasket but we still have old filter with gasket intact. So that would mean old gasket (double) was on the truck from purchasing dealership.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:26 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by dukdawg
The dealership did claim the doubled oil filter gasket but we still have old filter with gasket intact. So that would mean old gasket (double) was on the truck from purchasing dealership.
But then that also means your oil change place or person is somewhat at fault for not seeing that when the filter was removed. In addition, that means the mating surface was not cleaned before installing the new filter, thereby potentially allowing dirt and grime to be introduced into the motor.

Best to fix that issue internally within your oil change guys.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 AM
dukdawg
New User
senix,

You are correct, sir. I was a bit emotional at first over this episode, but having had time to cool off and look at the facts I do believe this was a multi-tiered mistake.

Again, thanks for everyones input and advice. Good to get input from individuals that are not emotionally and financially tied to a problem.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:44 AM
cjssr
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
As a now retired mechanic who serviced vehicles for over 40 years I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a old oil filter gasket left in place that didn't blow out but also have seen techs miss the old gasket and have it blow out leaving their stall right after the oil change. That is one expensive oil change mistake if thats what happened here!

Old 04-11-2019, 08:02 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
have truck towed back home..... to local dealership... start over with Ford...

Manufacturer... goes by dealership word first... so change dealerships...

not cheap or easy.. but maybe a second chance... different eye's and views of mind....

fyi.. short block or long block.. can take one to two months... first once Ford said OK... dealer needs to collect 10 to 13 photos of truck ID numbers... and some disassembly required.
Ford way of protecting itself from dishonest dealers...

this I have read of owners that did get the "OK" on a replacement engine under warranty..

Old 04-11-2019, 12:03 PM
SnowPlowDriver
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For the old guys out there,how about the small block chevys before spin on filters? Many of those gaskets were either doubled up or not changed at all.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:46 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
I had an oil filter gasket stick once when I was a teenager. It doubled up with the new filter and leaked right away.

To this day I check to make sure that hasn't happened on every oil change. It hasn't so it must be pretty rare.

Quick Reply: 2016 F-350 6.7 Engine Warranty Denied