Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Beehive Oil Filter

Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.
Beehive Oil Filter

My truck is fitted with this Beehive style oil filter. I have searched the internet but cannot find much information. I want to do an oil and filter change. If I remove the sump plug will the oil in the filter drain down also ? How do I get to the filter ? do I place a screwdriver into the hole at the top and just spin it loose ?. Had a quick go at that, but if that is the process it is on there very tightly.

Suffolkman

Old 03-26-2019, 09:40 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
It does appear that's a "nut" that clamps the lid, but it looks pretty weak to me. Go carefully! There are a couple of different brands/types, some info and pics here: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...beehive+filter

Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.
Hello Ross. The top of mine appears to be all one unit.not a nut.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:01 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Do you have a strap wrench? The kind with a rubber strap? I would try that. The lid clearly screws on.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Yes I do...that was my next step. I just wanted to know if it definitely unscrews...I guess it must do.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:05 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
It is just a fancy nut on the top. Managed to carefully get it loose.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Nicely done. I've not seen one of these in the wild.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:21 AM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
I haven't seen any of these either. Really nice looking design, though. Very Art Deco-ish.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
If you search Speedway for Beehive oil filter...it looks to be theirs maybe.

Suffolkman

Old 03-27-2019, 11:06 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
This could actually be the source of your low oil pressure situation. On the Ford type stock bypass filter, there is an 0.060" orifice in the oil line to the filter. These beehives don't appear to come with that orifice, although they have small holes in the center tube that do restrict flow somewhat. Try plugging off the supply line to the filter, see if your oil pressure improves noticeably.

PS -- an original beehive as yours appears to be is worth quite a bit to the traditional rodders.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Hi Ross, I don't think this is going to be original (although I cannot be sure). It does look identical to the Speedway unit. I have got to wait a day or two for the new filter, so perhaps I could take the Beehive off and look at it properly. So you are saying that the hole in the inlet maybe to big ?. I wonder if a reducer is available...I am sure I saw one somewhere online.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Just lifted this text from the Q&A's on the Speedway site for their Beehive,,,,,,"The best location for your Offenhauser Fifties-Style Beehive Oil Filter, is to mount it on the firewall. The inlet or pressure side is fed in from the bottom. Just in case you don't know this filter is manufactured for a "flathead engine" that is why it has a restrictor hole in the center of filter housing body"

Suffolkman

Old 03-27-2019, 12:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
OK, that would seem to take care of things, pressure-wise.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
I have also just discovered that the filter I took out of mine is just a bit smaller than the one Speedway recommends. It could be an equivalent,,,but if it is, it isn't that close.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
The beehives are different from the Ford bypass filters in that the flow is from the tube to the media and out the sides. That tends to stretch the media. Not sure why they did it that way, the crud has nowhere to collect like the stock canisters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.