6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Looking to buy my 1st ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:23 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,023 Likes on 784 Posts
I don’t think it’s likely that gen 2’s made it into 2014 vehicles.

All I can say for sure is that the gen 1’s produced 400hp in 2014 and in 2015 the gen 2’s produced 440 hp.

there is a pretty long list of improvements in the gen 2, more metal in the upper engine (correction for cracking manifolds ), more fillets in the crank ( correction for the crank splitting problem) , bearing surfaces coated ( correction for spinning bearings).

Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Concerning the water separator: If water comes out, it's doing it's job, but the idea is to buy quality fuel in the first place. I check mine regularly and have never had any water visible in the jar.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:24 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
For checking the water open the drain on the lower filter into s clean container and look for any water.
a small ammount doesnt mean it's a problem, but you have to wonder when was the last time it was drained? How much water that time?
The best is to see no water at all.
large amounts of water, or rust or brown fluids are a sign that you might have a problem soon.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:50 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure how familiar you are/what you do at the GM dealer, but the Ford 6.7 uses the same junk CP4 injection pump as the LML Duramax did. That alone would be reason for me to stay away (~$10k repair when the pump fails)

Old 03-16-2019, 09:22 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,476 Likes on 4,712 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian123
Not sure how familiar you are/what you do at the GM dealer, but the Ford 6.7 uses the same junk CP4 injection pump as the LML Duramax did. That alone would be reason for me to stay away (~$10k repair when the pump fails)
While I know there's been some failures on the 6.7s with the CP4.2, I don't know that I would put all the blame on the pump and not any on the crap we call fuel, ULSD. I'm in no way standing up for Bosch or defending Ford sticking it to people who have had HPFP failures, I think the main reason is the diesel fuel in the U.S. could be better. You're talking high pressure, less fuel flow than the CP3 and a fuel that has less lubricity than past diesel fuel. The tolerances are tighter inside the pump and they expect miracles out of us using modern day diesel fuel. While I do think it's a possibly to have this happen and I think of it myself, it's not a trending issue.

The issue is getting a bad batch of fuel. That's why I run a additive that everyone tells me not to, but I digress. Everyone here says run quality fuel, buy at high turn over places, etc. But how do you really know you're getting quality fuel without looking at the fuel inside the tank or testing it? Chances are you probably won't get a bad batch but tell that to the guys who got denied coverage by Ford. That could have been anyone of us. All these modern high pressure common rail fuel systems are susceptible to bad fuel. I saw a video on the fuel water separators from Cummins Filtration and it blows Ford's DCFM lift pump out of the water. That's what our trucks need. I'm all about overkill and being proactive. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. You know, like a Jimmy or a gun.

I'm sure there is better fuel in places than where I'm at, New York. But the ability of our fuel to absorb or attract water is strengthened by the very process of refining sulfur out of the fuel. Just like modern gasoline which is a 30 day fuel, modern day diesel is a 90 day fuel.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:32 AM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
I don't know how it might work with a Ford in a GM dealership but is it possible you can get an extended powertrain warranty included with purchase? That would give you the extra time needed to be sure there isn't anything wrong with the drivetrain.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:59 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Overkill2

I'm sure there is better fuel in places than where I'm at, New York. But the ability of our fuel to absorb or attract water is strengthened by the very process of refining sulfur out of the fuel. Just like modern gasoline which is a 30 day fuel, modern day diesel is a 90 day fuel.
FORD provides options. Once you switch to 5w40 or 15w40 , you can run b5 thru b20.

I think you may also have to switch from normal duty maint eve schedule to severe duty. Being in nyc where you drive 1 block, idle 3 minutes at a red light, then drive anoth block, cycle repeats ,I think due to excessive idling I’m at severe duty anyway.

Lab studies have shown that b5 provides more lube value than any diesel additive.

some stations sell b5. A few stations on the Nj turnpike have a label on thier pimps indicating b5.

i buy 12 five gallon containers of b30 at a time. I use 2 of them at each fill up. 10 gallons of b30 plus 38 gallons of b zero puts me at about b7. It’s amazing how much quieter the high pressure fuel pump sounds once it gets decent lube.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:14 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I know there's been some failures on the 6.7s with the CP4.2, I don't know that I would put all the blame on the pump and not any on the crap we call fuel, ULSD. I'm in no way standing up for Bosch or defending Ford sticking it to people who have had HPFP failures, I think the main reason is the diesel fuel in the U.S. could be better. You're talking high pressure, less fuel flow than the CP3 and a fuel that has less lubricity than past diesel fuel. The tolerances are tighter inside the pump and they expect miracles out of us using modern day diesel fuel. While I do think it's a possibly to have this happen and I think of it myself, it's not a trending issue.

The issue is getting a bad batch of fuel. That's why I run a additive that everyone tells me not to, but I digress. Everyone here says run quality fuel, buy at high turn over places, etc. But how do you really know you're getting quality fuel without looking at the fuel inside the tank or testing it? Chances are you probably won't get a bad batch but tell that to the guys who got denied coverage by Ford. That could have been anyone of us. All these modern high pressure common rail fuel systems are susceptible to bad fuel. I saw a video on the fuel water separators from Cummins Filtration and it blows Ford's DCFM lift pump out of the water. That's what our trucks need. I'm all about overkill and being proactive. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. You know, like a Jimmy or a gun.

Yeah I'll agree the fuel is the problem, but the reason i call the pump junk is because it was not designed to work within the parameters that it is required to (with US fuel). I don't understand how "well it works fine over here" is an acceptable excuse.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:56 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
I have been across the country 3 times with my 5th wheel and bought fuel from all over the place and never got a bad tank of fuel. Bio diesel sucks. You get poor fuel millage with that crap. You guys are so worried about fuel when you have no problem removing the DEF system and egr. But fuel is a concern? People spend all this money on a diesel than worry about everything. Leaving the truck stock except tires and wheels maybe a lift to make it cool but not useless to use is ok. It mostly takes the worry out of owning the truck. If you delete the truck the dealer will not warranty the truck. Even a extended warranty is void. They may sell you one but good luck getting any warranty repairs. I make it a rule never buy something modified by someone else. You never know what they really did.
OP I would not buy this truck even though all the parts appear to be there.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Speakerfritz, I have never seen B5 for sale around my area unless I just haven't run into them at all. Yes, I have heard of the benefits of running some B5 for lubrication. Thanks for the tips.

I also have plans to install a FASS lift pump to feed the DFCM lift pump to "shine" the fuel; to remove the air from the fuel to help longevity with the pump and injectors. I been in contact with them and found out that there is a bypass built in to the pump in case their pump went down. Then the OEM DFCM lift pump can keep flowing fuel to the HPFP. Apparently pickup owners get an average of 2 to 3 mpg with their use. Hell, 1 mpg gain would be great.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Ian123
Yeah I'll agree the fuel is the problem, but the reason i call the pump junk is because it was not designed to work within the parameters that it is required to (with US fuel). I don't understand how "well it works fine over here" is an acceptable excuse.
I wasnt trying to disagree with you but I found this article with a lot of information regarding modern diesel fuel and lubricity of same. To further refine my point, it has more to do with excessive moisture in diesel fuel. That's whats frying the CP4.2s. While I realize that lube agents are added to the fuel we buy, it's water in fuel that can overpower the DFCM. The fact that failures HAVE happened in our trucks, GM trucks, VWs and others that use the CP4.x pumps says that failure CAN happen but NOT that it will. The DieselSite owner had it happen to him. He got a WIF light and that was it. The fuel system was toast. That's why he came up with their fuel water separator that's on their site. Some guys haven't got a WIF light. The potential is there, however small it is, is a concern.

https://fueloilnews.com/2010/03/04/t...-of-lubricity/

Last edited by Overkill2; 03-19-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Add to post
Old 03-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by The Bone
I have been across the country 3 times with my 5th wheel and bought fuel from all over the place and never got a bad tank of fuel. Bio diesel sucks. You get poor fuel millage with that crap. You guys are so worried about fuel when you have no problem removing the DEF system and egr. But fuel is a concern? People spend all this money on a diesel than worry about everything. Leaving the truck stock except tires and wheels maybe a lift to make it cool but not useless to use is ok. It mostly takes the worry out of owning the truck. .
I'm happy to hear you've never had a problem. Either have I but if I was that worried about it, I wouldn't drive my truck. I don't drive cross country but have put a decent amount of miles in 2 years and 2 months of ownership, 38,500 miles. So again, I drive it.

Yes, running a higher grade or percentage biodiesel, you don't get the mileage of regular diesel. But adding a little like B5 will aid in improving lubrication in our ULSD. It is used to increase the lube value that traditional diesel had. They have to add lube additives before selling the fuel because the process of removing sulfur removes the lubrication out of the fuel. I'm glad you're so carefree in your attitude on fuel. That's a personal decision. One question for you though, do you ever drain the DFCM to check for water and if so, at what frequency?

About deleting, it's another personal decision. I'd rather run stock but if problems arise, it is a high likelihood that I will. If emissions lasted, had no problems, and the cost of maintenance of it wasn't so high, I'd have no problem staying stock. I have no problem staying stock now because I have no problems. When I say that deleted 6.7s run really well, I'm not saying stock ones don't. I would not delete to become part of the crowd, I would delete to prevent spending thousands on parts that will eventually fail again. I would delete to hopefully gain a little mileage. I would delete to increase the reliability of my engine as this truck is a very long term vehicle for me. I would delete with a 0 hp or modest tow tune with no smoke. That is why I would delete.

Spending a lot of money on a truck where the factory replacement kit for 15 to 16s fuel system is 5k and labor not included, when pumps have failed because of fuel related issues have happened, makes fuel a concern and makes it a concern in general because we all spent a lot of money on our diesel engine option. Just my 2 cents.

I'm 52 so being part of the cool crew is not an option or concern for me. I'm already cool driving a Super Duty with the Scorpion. I do have plans though for a set of Black Rhino wheels and stock size or 18s tires for the summer. But I'd rather spend money on something that will make the engine and parts last longer like a FASS lift pump. But that's just me. There's enough jacked up trucks with offset wheels rolling around my area. That's the beauty of being able to do what you want to your truck and to come here to offer your own personal taste to the melting pot of different tastes. Peace.

Last edited by Overkill2; 03-19-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Speakerfritz, I have never seen B5 for sale around my area unless I just haven't run into them at all. Yes, I have heard of the benefits of running some B5 for lubrication.
Pumps with 5% or less bio aren't required to be labeled. Many states require a certain percentage of bio to be added to all diesel, so you almost certainly have been using it. labels

Old 03-19-2019, 11:46 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Speakerfritz, I have never seen B5 for sale around my area unless I just haven't run into them at all. Yes, I have heard of the benefits of running some B5 for lubrication. Thanks for the tips.

I also have plans to install a FASS lift pump to feed the DFCM lift pump to "shine" the fuel; to remove the air from the fuel to help longevity with the pump and injectors. I been in contact with them and found out that there is a bypass built in to the pump in case their pump went down. Then the OEM DFCM lift pump can keep flowing fuel to the HPFP. Apparently pickup owners get an average of 2 to 3 mpg with their use. Hell, 1 mpg gain would be great.

so in Nj the Sunoco station in the middle of the njtp have a 5% bio sticker.

i buy b30 in bulk at a place called Woollys in north jersey. I mix 10 gallons of 30 to 38 gallons of b zero and get a little over b5 out of it.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by lynnmor
Pumps with 5% or less bio aren't required to be labeled. Many states require a certain percentage of bio to be added to all diesel, so you almost certainly have been using it. labels
Consider me a more educated consumer of diesel fuel. I'd love if I had a blend of 5% biodiesel for a little lube added. Thanks for the link. Now I just have to work on finding out if the distributors around here are selling B5.

More about labelling Here:

https://www.natso.com/blog/truckstop...nts-unraveled-

Originally Posted by speakerfritz

So in Nj the Sunoco station in the middle of the njtp have a 5% bio sticker.

i buy b30 in bulk at a place called Woollys in north jersey. I mix 10 gallons of 30 to 38 gallons of b zero and get a little over b5 out of it.
I did a search here and found out that there are only three stations in New York state with the closest one 154 miles from me out of the first 10 listings.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/biodie...location=14218

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my 1st ford